Check your account email address ×

The future of American housing

Well i watch TV in the basement almost every night and our spare bedrooms for family visitors to stay over in are in the basement along with the guest bathroom oh as well as the amazing craft studio I have built in our basement leaves no room for an apartment especially while we have finally just become “empty nesters”  😁🤪🫶🏻🥂🙋🏼‍♀️. You just focus on your shop hunnie😘

Edited by SnogirlDi
  • Haha 4

On 9/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, Highmark said:

70 million boomers that 80% own or are in their own homes.   That's at least 28 million homes. 

Add in plenty in the Silent Generation and there will be a lot of homes coming on the market in the next 15-20 years. 

I'm dumbfounded how many 80 yo's I know living in their own home.  

My father said he may build a new house in the new development behind his.

"I'd do it just for something to do..."

He's 84.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

UAW is trying to change that. At least for their members. 

And the rest of us will be living in vehicles, cause if they get their way the average American will have a mortgage on a vehicle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

And the rest of us will be living in vehicles, cause if they get their way the average American will have a mortgage on a vehicle.

That’s because some have been turned to sheep. No one is willing to fight in unity for better wages. Instead the powers to be want us to fight each other while they laugh all the way to the bank. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:07 AM, 800renegaderider said:

Only the elite will be able to afford a normal house everyone else gets a tiny box crammed into a subdivision. I actually wouldn’t mind one of these if it was on a decent lot 10ac or more.

Have you seen the 3d printed homes...in the next 5 years they are going to revolutionize home construction...the time to build and the price to build will come down 30-40%

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Have you seen the 3d printed homes...in the next 5 years they are going to revolutionize home construction...the time to build and the price to build will come down 30-40%

I’ve seen a few videos on them over the years. Cut time maybe cut cost eh I don’t know about that lot of high tech equipment and workers to set it up and run it and you still need the other trades to finish it out.

The basement walls are done and pouring the floor/garage sometime next week. The builder is a good friend and the quote ( turnkey) is business. He lives on the lake, starts early and even works on weekends and all we do is make sure there's water and pop in the little fridge that we have there. They don't touch the beer.

20230924_125706.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SkisNH said:

They will find other ways to somehow make it 20% more expensive 

4 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

They will find other ways to somehow make it 20% more expensive 

Why would they want it more expensive?  People would just stick build. 

3D printed is stronger than concrete block, it's a no Brainer in hurricane or tornado zones. The thermal mass makes it very efficient in cold climates...everything else will be much faster as the building will be perfectly plumb and square. No more nail pops and call backs because the lumber shrank or settled. I truly believe this is the future.  

9 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Why would they want it more expensive?  People would just stick build. 

3D printed is stronger than concrete block, it's a no Brainer in hurricane or tornado zones. The thermal mass makes it very efficient in cold climates...everything else will be much faster as the building will be perfectly plumb and square. No more nail pops and call backs because the lumber shrank or settled. I truly believe this is the future.  

I hope you're right.  I'd love to have one built.

8 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Our builder did a quote ICF vs stick built here in Nova Scotia and the ICF came out $2600.00 more. It wasn't a difficult decision to make. 

My last home was ICF fou dation...should have done the entire thing in concrete.  

10 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

My last home was ICF fou dation...should have done the entire thing in concrete.  

We are going all the up and once the floor is poured/cured they can install the steel beam/post then the joists/subfloor to get all the scaffolding up to start on the main floor. Sofar we haven't had to wait for an inspector which can slow things up. The wife will be happy she's getting her craftroom lol. I'm getting the garage (26x26) and a big part of the basement for a pool table, dartboards, small bar area and possibly a shuffleboard. We're putting a urinal in the basement bathroom. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We are going all the up and once the floor is poured/cured they can install the steel beam/post then the joists/subfloor to get all the scaffolding up to start on the main floor. Sofar we haven't had to wait for an inspector which can slow things up. The wife will be happy she's getting her craftroom lol. I'm getting the garage (26x26) and a big part of the basement for a pool table, dartboards, small bar area and possibly a shuffleboard. We're putting a urinal in the basement bathroom. 

Smart 

IMG_6485.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have a couple friends that have them and decided the party room will be downstairs and if any of the ladies want to use it instead of the toilet go ahead lol

There is s toilet in the bathroom also. 

11 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

There is s toilet in the bathroom also. 

Yes and a small vanity as well. Main floor will have a master bdrm/ ensuite, spare bdrm and guest bathroom. What is normally the front of the house will be the back of the house and we're putting a driveway back there for unloading groceries etc. The washer/dryer room then closet then a walk in pantry then kitchen. The living room will have a wood burning fireplace and and a partial vaulted ceiling. On each end of the house will be a covered porch with one being screened. The deck is 40x12 and a great view of the lake. The attached garage we switched to the right side

20220303_120340_001.jpg

• Like 1