Check your account email address ×

Cats new engine

Rod

1 minute ago, HSR said:

My 30 year old son is the quietest mild mannered very polite guy you could meet. Turns into an absolute animal on a sled and can wreck anything. Until he bought an Axys.

They bend too.  Don’t kid yourself.  And their motors are always a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

And their motors are always a crapshoot.

In the hands of a proper operator they have proven to be rock solid especially the 800 HO. You'd have to be a retard to blow one of them up with low miles that's for sure.:bc:

13 minutes ago, HSR said:

In the hands of a proper operator they have proven to be rock solid especially the 800 HO. You'd have to be a retard to blow one of them up with low miles that's for sure.:bc:

When you are 50 miles from camp and you need gas, you take what comes out of the tank and it turns out it was bad.  If you have never blown up a two stroke snowmobile, you don’t have much time in the saddle.  Is being a retard a requirement to think you have any clue what happened from 2000 miles away and 5 years later?

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

When you are 50 miles from camp and you need gas, you take what comes out of the tank and it turns out it was bad.  If you have never blown up a two stroke snowmobile, you don’t have much time in the saddle.  Is being a retard a requirement to think you have any clue what happened from 2000 miles away and 5 years later?

The 800ho is a good motor but it is flawed still with skirt collapse and bores getting out of round. They run hard but they are not an etec or Suzuki 

Edited by f7ben

22 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

They bend too.  Don’t kid yourself.  And their motors are always a crapshoot.

Polaris hit in the front will normally bend the A-arms in worst case will crack the bellypan casting.

Changing the bellypan casting is not a bad job to change.  Make sure all bonding surfaces are clean and dry and I made an alignment bar for installing the chaincase.

Just now, f7ben said:

The 800ho is a good motor but it is flawed still with skirt collapse and bores getting out of round. They run hard but they are not an etec or Suzuki 

My brother ran his Assault for at least part of the season with a chunk of his piston missing.  He went to freshen it it up in the off-season and it was just gone.  You just never know.

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My brother ran his Assault for at least part of the season with a chunk of his piston missing.  He went to freshen it it up in the off-season and it was just gone.  You just never know.

If you measure compression every 500 miles they will tell you when they are starting to decline. It takes 5 minutes 

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

When you are 50 miles from camp and you need gas, you take what comes out of the tank and it turns out it was bad.  

If you were getting DET codes in both Premium and ethanol modes or the sled was running "terrible" and the operator thinks it will clean itself out,the is operator at fault. After DET in both modes you may as well tow it cuz you will be anyhow,just with a blown motor.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Low mileage? Or just testament to how tough they are?

Just now, ACE said:

They’re always broke.

The chassis never breaks , ever. The 850 patriot is a better engine than any cat produced two stroke up to this point. I’d take an 800ho over any ctec as well. That ctec is an absolute slug and always lighting the plastics on fire. What a joke man 

Just now, HSR said:

If you were getting DET codes in both Premium and ethanol modes or the sled was running "terrible" and the operator thinks it will clean itself out,the is operator at fault. After DET in both modes you may as well tow it cuz you will be anyhow,just with a blown motor.

Low mileage? Or just testament to how tough they are?

I wasn’t getting any codes and the sled was running fine. We had just gassed up in Pittston Farms, which is the only gas stop around for miles.  They use an above ground tank and it was first ride of the season.  We hit the first long straight, I pinched it and it blew up. The end.  The real crime is why Polaris wanted $6000 for a new motor.  You can save your gotchas and stop thinking you have any input on this situation at all.  Have you never blown up a snowmobile before? You must not have ridden for very long if you haven’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

I wasn’t getting any codes and the sled was running fine. We had just gassed up in Pittston Farms, which is the only gas stop around for miles.  They use an above ground tank and it was first ride of the season.  We hit the first long straight, I pinched it and it blew up. The end.  The real crime is why Polaris wanted $6000 for a new motor.  You can save your gotchas and stop thinking you have any input on this situation at all.  Have you never blown up a snowmobile before? You must not have ridden for very long if you haven’t.

Yes I just rebuild them myself. I would never pay a shop to do it. Well thanks, I've never heard of an 800ho blowing up from fuel issues without at least a DET warning so I learned something new today.:bc:

So unless it was your first ride of the year ie: improper off season storage, you're off the hook.

Was it first time out riding?

10 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ouch he must being doing better though if he’s out working getting it ready for this winter 👍. Is he doing both modules?

He got busted up pretty good and was off of work for a while and has hardware holding his arm together.  Just the tunnel it got twisted and folded up the running board.  Totaled the sled and he bought it back.

received_104395339407553.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Doug said:

He got busted up pretty good and was off of work for a while and has hardware holding his arm together.  Just the tunnel it got twisted and folded up the running board.  Totaled the sled and he bought it back.

I seen the bent lower control arm and sled apart figured well you know skidoo things 😂

13 minutes ago, Doug said:

Sounds like he's going to get back on the horse, thats good.  You wonder why they don't make tunnels and bulkheads in several modular pieces, for easier reassembly in times like these.  I also wonder why motors are such a ripoff.  They wanted like 6 or 6500 for a new Polaris shortblock when mine blew, and 11 for my 900 turbo.  The whole sled  cost 12,800 a year previous.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 1

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

I seen the bent lower control arm and sled apart figured well you know skidoo things 😂

The owner is a big Ski-Doo guy and my goto guy if I have questions on Ski-Doo.  He calls me if he has questions on a Polaris.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Sounds like he's going to get back on the horse, thats good.  You wonder why they don't make tunnels and bulkheads in several modular pieces, for easier reassembly in times like these.  I also wonder why motors are such a ripoff.  They wanted like 6 or 6500 for a new Polaris shortblock when mine blew, and 11 for my 900 turbo.  The whole sled  cost 12,800 a year previous.

900 turbo long blocks 4500 bucks online is your 11k including labor? 

23 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Thats what the dealer quoted me and I'm not sure you could even buy them for that price in 2020, cuz I looked.  Besides, Insurance company totaled it because it was a result of an accident, even dragged the sled to another dealer for a second opinion before they'd agree to pay the claim.   First sled claim I've ever had.  We were off trailing and sled rolled down a hill and landed on the throttle.  Ran about 15 seconds or so upside down before I could get to it, oil starved the crank and shot it right through the cases.   I lost one day of riding time, and had a new Backcountry a week later.  We travel 375 miles each way to ride during riding season, and I honestly don't have time to tear apart and rebuild a sled in the middle of the winter.  

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Thats what the dealer quoted me and I'm not sure you could even buy them for that price in 2020, cuz I looked.  Besides, Insurance company totaled it because it was a result of an accident, even dragged the sled to another dealer for a second opinion before they'd agree to pay the claim.   First sled claim I've ever had.  We were off trailing and sled rolled down a hill and landed on the throttle.  Ran about 15 seconds or so upside down before I could get to it, oil starved the crank and shot it right through the cases.   I lost one day of riding time, and had a new Backcountry a week later.  We travel 375 miles each way to ride during riding season, and I honestly don't have time to tear apart and rebuild a sled in the middle of the winter.  

In the cart ready for purchase says 4500. Gotta pay up for convenience.

IMG_4060.png

56 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Shop Rate: $120/hr

Shop Rate if you want to tell us what the internet said is the issue ,tell us how it wasn't your fault and your life sledding history,number of sleds owned, racing cred and experiences: $350/hr

:lol: