Check your account email address ×

Ford's CEO admits to a 'reality check' during F-150 Lightning Route 66 road trip

7 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Few years from now EV's will be collectable antiques as Hydrogen takes over for Gasoline.

Not at all true.  Today's perhaps but solid state batteries solve most of the problems.  400mi++ of range in 10 minutes is about the same as 20gal of gas and a piss....which is the same.  Outside of range there are tons of ev benefits in particular when they are subsidized....albeit stupidly.

13 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

What did that cost in fuel?  Our first trip cost us -$4.00. 3 chargers failed to charge our cards but charged the car and one of them helped us avoid paying $9.00 for parking. When I returned home I charged off peak for $5.00.  It was confusing but a good intro. 

Your experience is much different than most on long trips....most had trouble with both the time it took to charge, the cost of charging and the inconvenience of going out of their way to charge....But, maybe you hang in major metropolitan areas exclusively. 

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Few years from now EV's will be collectable antiques as Hydrogen takes over for Gasoline.

I don’t believe that. The progression of batteries and the increasing level of energy density has remained linear for over a decade. It shows no signs of slowing. Couple that with 500hp motors with instant torque that you can hold in your hand and ev’s are the future. 

Edited by spin_dry

Hydrogen will happen — if it can come clean latest updates:

Nel and GM FuelCellNavistar_web_i.jpg

Nel and GM FuelCellNavistar_web_i.jpg

Steve Fecht for Genreal Motors 
General Motors Co. entered into a joint development agreement with Nel Hydrogen US, a subsidiary of Nel ASA, to help accelerate the industrialization of Nel’s proton exchange membrane (PEM) electrolyzer platform.

Long touted as the fuel of the future but not of the present, the age of hydrogen may be about to start.

Billions of dollars in federal subsidies are part of a massive industrial policy pushing the energy source. The U.S. Department of Energy is pouring $7 billion into a series of regional hydrogen production hubs to make sure it’s available for transportation and heavy industry. It also plans to subsidize the cost of hydrogen when produced with green technologies.

Automotive News’ tech and innovation reporting team identifies the challenges and opportunities for hydrogen fuel adoption in autos and adjacent industries. The industry’s vision for a zero-emission future is clear, and there are multiple paths to get there. Policymakers are ensuring that hydrogen will be one of them. See our report.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I don’t believe that. The progression of batteries and the increasing level of energy density has remained linear for over a decade. It shows no signs of slowing. Couple that with 500hp motors with instant torque that you can hold in your hand and ev’s are the future. 

Evs predate ice cars.:lol:

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Your experience is much different than most on long trips....most had trouble with both the time it took to charge, the cost of charging and the inconvenience of going out of their way to charge....But, maybe you hang in major metropolitan areas exclusively. 

Somewhere around 6-7 cents mile average I have been seeing when using fast charging on trips.  Big savings are made at home and where you overnight on trips typically

14 hours ago, Snake said:

Do you charge for your time?

What is an hour while on vacation sitting watching the sun go down worth to you?

I guess it depends on road tripping Vs everyday.  It takes seconds to plug in my ev at home and costs $5.00 for 250 miles. On a road trip when the chargers work 15 minutes every 200 miles is fine. 

When you gas up do you leave your vehicle at the pump while it’s filling?  Most people fill the tank, move the vehicle and then hit the washroom, that takes the same amount of time as putting an ev on charge walking in, taking a piss, grabbing road food whatever. 

I’d be happy with 50kw chargers beside a good restaurant and taking an hour break. I think you will see fine dining places putting 50kw chargers in their lots.  

14 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Why would anyone go back to relying on someone else for their fuel when they can charge with their own solar?  Anyone with a decent commute will save a couple of trips to the gas/hydrogen station per week and there is no way hydrogen will be cheaper than off peak charging. 

ICE engines have reached a point of optimum efficiency. Doesn’t matter what the fuel is, there just isn’t much room for large gains.

With EV there’s room for tremendous growth in efficiency. Current battery tech is all over the map with various designs in development. I don’t think a clear direction will be determined for a few more years. Maybe by 2030. Regardless, the days of ICE vehicles is limited. 

20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

ICE engines have reached a point of optimum efficiency. Doesn’t matter what the fuel is, there just isn’t much room for large gains.

With EV there’s room for tremendous growth in efficiency. Current battery tech is all over the map with various designs in development. I don’t think a clear direction will be determined for a few more years. Maybe by 2030. Regardless, the days of ICE vehicles is limited. 

Mine is a relatively cheap ev, the Kia ev6 gt line 2. and it is so much better than my 2017 vehicle. 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds. How much would someone pay for an ice vehicle that can do that with all the tech this has? 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I hope the anti ev crowd is right and my battery fails in 5 years. By then the replacement (under warranty) battery will have 3 times the range and the electric motors will have lots of life left. 

48 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Somewhere around 6-7 cents mile average I have been seeing when using fast charging on trips.  Big savings are made at home and where you overnight on trips typically

Plenty of stories on the web just like Fords CEO....expensive, slow and broken equipment. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Plenty of stories on the web just like Fords CEO....expensive, slow and broken equipment. 

Most EV’s in this country charge on Tesla supercharger network.  That network will open to other in a few months as well.

48,000 miles in about 19 months I have a good grasp on costs and reliability of network

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The future? Maybe. But it won’t be realized with lithium batteries imo 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Most EV’s in this country charge on Tesla supercharger network.  That network will open to other in a few months as well.

48,000 miles in about 19 months I have a good grasp on costs 

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/road-tripping-in-our-long-term-electric-test-cars/

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Like I said a non tesla currently has a few challenges.  With Tesla it’s non issue which Tesla makes up like 80% of the EV’s on the road.  Non issues road tripping a tesla in my experience.

Edited by BOHICA

13 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Not at all true.  Today's perhaps but solid state batteries solve most of the problems.  400mi++ of range in 10 minutes is about the same as 20gal of gas and a piss....which is the same.  Outside of range there are tons of ev benefits in particular when they are subsidized....albeit stupidly.

Wtf EV are you driving 

• Like 1

You suck at reading.  Comment was a few years from now.  Solid state batteries are being delivered in new eVs within 2 years.  Toyotas current econobox has a claimed range of 800+mi in a 10 min charge.  That puts hydrogen out of the running 

I'm not going to believe the guy who builds them, tried one, and found it wanting. I'm going to believe the guys who are justifying their solar panel purchase.....

Seems legit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

You suck at reading.  Comment was a few years from now.  Solid state batteries are being delivered in new eVs within 2 years.  Toyotas current econobox has a claimed range of 800+mi in a 10 min charge.  That puts hydrogen out of the running 

Think about what you just wrote you retard 

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'm not going to believe the guy who builds them, tried one, and found it wanting. I'm going to believe the guys who are justifying their solar panel purchase.....

Seems legit.

Yup don’t believe the guy that tried it. Believe the guys that don’t even have one but need to virtue signal over it 

"Why stay in the resort on the water in the middle of the action when the hotel up the road has free charging?"

That was what I was told by our esteemed expert when we were arguing about my road trip and I said no chargers at the resort... :lol: