Check your account email address ×

Stupid billionairs commit suicide in homade sub

You guys see the "control system" for this thing?

Does anyone think they are alive still?  My guess is that it was over instantly, and all that will be found is debris

They picked up some banging noises overnight, so they may still be alive down there. 

I would not be concerned about the control system, if you mean the game controller. Seems to me that those controllers are pretty reliable. Probably can handle millions of button presses, and well tested. Kids use them with oily potato chip fingers, spill gatorade and red bull on them, they keep working. Controller is probably one of most reliable parts on that thing. 

7 hours ago, Catalina said:

They picked up some banging noises overnight, so they may still be alive down there. 

I would not be concerned about the control system, if you mean the game controller. Seems to me that those controllers are pretty reliable. Probably can handle millions of button presses, and well tested. Kids use them with oily potato chip fingers, spill gatorade and red bull on them, they keep working. Controller is probably one of most reliable parts on that thing. 

Not so much the controller itself, but just how jankey it all seemed to be set up. 

Its morbid, but my bet is still that it imploded when coms went silent. (honestly I hope so, it would be a much better way to go) 

Edited by krom

To risk your life in a janky setup with the only payoff is to see some old sunken ship that ain't going nowhere and you could watch on TV instead from your couch... Seems stupid.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have way bigger problems in this country, and in this world, but for a moment....

I tip my hat to the people willing to take that dive, in spite of the risks.  They ultimately risked everything.

We can say it was stupid, that we wouldn't have done it.  That's easy.  But, these people worked hard, had a lot to live for, and went there anyway.

After a moment of respect in silence, I can put my hat back on and go back to work.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, krom said:

You guys see the "control system" for this thing?

Does anyone think they are alive still?  My guess is that it was over instantly, and all that will be found is debris

It looked like something that came out of an artic cat test lab. 

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It looked like something that came out of an artic cat test lab. 

And the structure looked like it came from Polaris and we all know what failed 

A mutual friend who's been involved in numerous historical great lakes finds knew two of the people on the sub.  They knew the risk/reward ratio in an experimental craft. The sub imploded attempting to get back to the surface and in Ken's words those onboard were basically atomized.  He's a bit gutted over the situation and told us quite a bit more than the media was saying when we saw him last weekend in the UP. 

• Like 1

Its easy to monday morning qb, but CF wasn't a good choice, and the fact that they never did any testing makes my head spin..  seems like a regular before and after exam of some sort would be called for..

From everything I can find, they never tested it at all for defects, and never tested to failure

On 6/23/2023 at 1:00 PM, p51mstg said:

We have way bigger problems in this country, and in this world, but for a moment....

I tip my hat to the people willing to take that dive, in spite of the risks.  They ultimately risked everything.

We can say it was stupid, that we wouldn't have done it.  That's easy.  But, these people worked hard, had a lot to live for, and went there anyway.

After a moment of respect in silence, I can put my hat back on and go back to work.

I disagree and the correct response is they were stupid. Not because it's easy but because it's true. The amount of people way smarter than these guys warning them it was a death trap. The CEO of Oceangate was the biggest clown of them all, I struggle to understand how he convinced the others to get in that death trap just to see a sunken ship.

At some point, safety is just pure waste." - Stockton Rush, CEO of Oceangate  and 1 of 5 passengers on board. : r/ThatsInsane

2 hours ago, snoughnut said:

I disagree and the correct response is they were stupid. Not because it's easy but because it's true. The amount of people way smarter than these guys warning them it was a death trap. The CEO of Oceangate was the biggest clown of them all, I struggle to understand how he convinced the others to get in that death trap just to see a sunken ship.

At some point, safety is just pure waste." - Stockton Rush, CEO of Oceangate  and 1 of 5 passengers on board. : r/ThatsInsane

And way I understand they could really see it only through monitor?

Don’t understand the need to go see it?

now taking unmanned device down and getting couple pieces from wreckage that’s different story!!

2 hours ago, X2700 said:

And way I understand they could really see it only through monitor?

Don’t understand the need to go see it?

now taking unmanned device down and getting couple pieces from wreckage that’s different story!!

they could take turns looking out the little window on the front (the one rated for only 1,300 meters when they planned to dive to 4,000 meters)