Check your account email address ×

old iron

On 2/25/2023 at 10:15 AM, Pete said:

It’s the very first mark II. 1963 427 mystery motor that showed up at Daytona and disappeared from the public a week later. Top brass at GM demanded it be removed from public because corporate rule was NO RACING what so ever. 

Love the cast iron headers. 

Actually three or four teams raced the Mystery Engine in '63 with no factory support. Smokey Yunick, Rex White, Junior Johnson, Et al.  Junior managed to win seven races. I'm building a period correct street driven replica of the Junior Johnson #3 car.

FB_IMG_1678761084183.jpg

Edited by IRONDOG
  • Like 7

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, IRONDOG said:

Actually three or four teams raced the Mystery Engine in '63 with no factory support. Smokey Yunick, Rex White, Junior Johnson, Et al.  Junior managed to win seven races. I'm building a period correct street driven replica of the Junior Johnson #3 car.

FB_IMG_1678761084183.jpg

Very cool…please share pictures when you’re finished.👊🏻🇺🇸

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

No idea. Keep in mind back then I beleive 17.5 rims were the norm. So they make look bigger then they are.

Oh I thought it was your old truck.

:bc:

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

79250.jpg

Love the older Fords.  Have had a few, incl a 78 F150 w a 351 stick, but my fav was a 95 F250 Powerstroke.  For the time, it was a beast.  

34 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Love the older Fords.  Have had a few, incl a 78 F150 w a 351 stick, but my fav was a 95 F250 Powerstroke.  For the time, it was a beast.  

I had a 73 f250 ranger camper special for a few years in the 90s while living in WY. I called it big ugly. 390 w/4 sp 

6 hours ago, Shifty said:

I had a 73 f250 ranger camper special for a few years in the 90s while living in WY. I called it big ugly. 390 w/4 sp 

I am pretty sure that was the vintage of my late uncles F250. When he died in 2005, he still had that truck and it only had about 20,000 original miles on it. All he used it for was to plow his small parking lot, one of my cousins ended up buying it from him, but it turned out the frame was too far gone.  Northern Maine winters will do that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My 1980 Scout II Turbo Diesel met it's Waterloo hitting the wall in front of the Black Blazer...salt does wonders for a steel body..  driving in the barn, standing on the clutch + brakes, the body moves up.....stopped the Scout hitting the wall & killing the engine...in retrospect I wish I saved the chassis... Crude, but so simple.

Now, the Blazer sits taking up valuable real estate space.

00c0c_gZmfRcKBHWm_0t20oc_600x450.jpg

00101_1wXj4XD00AD_0t20oc_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Anyone been watching Barrett-Jackson?

The resto mods have really taken over it seems. A Gen 2 Corvette with an LS3 looks like the hot ticket.

I mostly watch for the trucks. Chevy's get better money than Fords from what I see. Early Blazer/Jimmy with an LS will bring $125k plus.

• Like 1