Check your account email address ×

Seven million men have dropped out of the workforce and aren't looking for jobs

• Platinum Contributing Member

A guy made a great point the other day....no longer should the strength of an economy be measured on GDP and unemployment rate but by GDP and people of working age unwilling to work.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mike-rowe-warns-government-enabling-millions-men-quit-working-letting-them-fail

Mike Rowe is warning Americans to pay attention to a startling statistic revealing that seven million men in the prime of life have dropped out of the workforce with no plans to find another job.

That data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which also found men were spending around seven hours a day doing leisure activities such as watching television and playing games instead. While millions of men aren't working, there are currently 779,000 open jobs in manufacturing, according to the latest data from the BLS, CBS News reported.

When asked by CBS' Tony Dokoupil how these men, aged between 25-54, were surviving without jobs, the Emmy-winning host of "Dirty Jobs" suggested government handouts were to blame.

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

A guy made a great point the other day....no longer should the strength of an economy be measured on GDP and unemployment rate but by GDP and people of working age unwilling to work.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mike-rowe-warns-government-enabling-millions-men-quit-working-letting-them-fail

Mike Rowe is warning Americans to pay attention to a startling statistic revealing that seven million men in the prime of life have dropped out of the workforce with no plans to find another job.

That data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which also found men were spending around seven hours a day doing leisure activities such as watching television and playing games instead. While millions of men aren't working, there are currently 779,000 open jobs in manufacturing, according to the latest data from the BLS, CBS News reported.

When asked by CBS' Tony Dokoupil how these men, aged between 25-54, were surviving without jobs, the Emmy-winning host of "Dirty Jobs" suggested government handouts were to blame.

“suggested”

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Catalina said:

Mike R has a way of cutting through all the crap and getting to the bottom of a problem in a straightforward way. I have a lot of respect for him. 

And guess which way he leans.  CONSERVATIVE.  It takes a lot of fluff and mirrors to convince people to follow left wing policies.

I think it is fair to say that he does lean conservative, but by no means far right. If you listen to his podcast (which is good), it's hard to tell what his politics really are, he just doesn't go there. I think he is more middle of the road on many subjects.      He is willing to talk about working, especially in the blue collar sector, that is a subject he seems to know a fair bit about. But does bring politics into it. 

• Gold Member

I’ll say this I see a lot of my wife’s friends husbands and even a former coworker of mine do not work because the wife is the breadwinner and the husband stays home with the kids and doing the house chores and those husbands all had blue collar jobs like manufacturing.

Edited by 800renegaderider

1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

Why so many lazy men? 

Article I read had it listed as frustration between what others are making and the chump change their useless asses were making. May have just been an opinion peice.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Article I read had it listed as frustration between what others are making and the chump change their useless asses were making. May have just been an opinion peice.

Apparently the ‘men’ aren’t getting paid enough at their blue collar/skilled labor  jobs if the argument is they are sitting at home because the income disparity is minimal - which I call bullshit on.   But just think if most skilled labor and blue collar jobs were unionized how much incentive ‘men’ would have to work.  But one told unions are bad from the forum Posse 

Just now, SnowRider said:

So education matters :dunno:  Like we’ve been saying for decades :lol:  Looks like improved self esteem is another reason for college :thumbsup:

Of course it matters. Everyone with a brain knows if one plans on working for someone else they are better off with one. 

It is obvious one will earn more money with one. So there is nothing wrong with them taking some of that more money and using it to pay for the education that allows them to earn it.

Therefore student loan bailouts are nothing more than upper middleclass welfare and un needed. But hey, let the fucking continue.

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ll say this I see a lot of my wife’s friends husbands and even a former coworker of mine do not work because the wife is the breadwinner and the husband stays home with the kids and doing the house chores and those husbands all had blue collar jobs like manufacturing.

Sign me up!

Neal

• Haha 1

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Of course it matters. Everyone with a brain knows if one plans on working for someone else they are better off with one. 

It is obvious one will earn more money with one. So there is nothing wrong with them taking some of that more money and using it to pay for the education that allows them to earn it.

Therefore student loan bailouts are nothing more than upper middleclass welfare and un needed. But hey, let the fucking continue.

Bring the goal posts back :lol: 

One of the guys at my gym is a plumber. His own business, no union. Super busy, could take on more work, can't get help. He buys breakfast for his guys every day, offers a good deal on health insurance, vacation, says he pays well (I don't know what he pays the guys.) 

Drives a new Duramax 3500, which he uses to tow his race car (gotta have a hobby). Bought his dad a mid '50's rodded pickup for Christmas last year. I think he is doing OK. 

Nephews father-in-law is an electrician. Takes February off every year, spends it in Maui. Not a bad life. 

Brother-in-law is a lineman for National Grid. This one is Union, but he hustles, picks up OT whenever he can. Well into 6 figures every year. 

There are plenty of jobs that pay will out there, but you gotta be willing to show up and get a little dirty, and work in the weather. Not going to start out making ton, but the potential is there if you apply your self. 

Seems to me that is the way the system is supposed to work. Even the college grads with a 'useful' degree don't start out as a VP, unless they go to work for Dads company, you got to put in your time. It seems that this concept is hard to understand. 

Yup, plenty of frustrated accounts and insurance agents out there who hate going to work every day, but they are in 'business' because they were told by lots of people, parents, teachers, guidance councilors to name a few, that they HAD to go to college or they would be flipping burgers for life. 

Fact is, I bet you could start out flipping burgers, and work your way up to managing a couple of Micky D's and do OK if you put your mind to it. 

4 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Money ain’t everything. Job satisfaction and enjoying what you do is why more important. I learned that in my mid 20’s. 

No it isn't, but you are in your 60s and live in a van.

Go on.:lol:

According to Detroit mayor there is 9,000 high paying jobs up for grabs.  The plan is to spend 100 million to teach Detroiters how to read so they can fill those positions.  Very exciting stuff.   

35DA09AC-69B7-41FE-9D45-F53B55F2EA48.jpeg

88E2FDBB-DB66-47BA-ACF9-10BE8908E1D2.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1