Check your account email address ×

No one should be OK with this...

• Platinum Contributing Member

@DriftBusta if money is the problem - which I agree with - then you should be livid at SCOTUS and their Citizens United decision along with supporting D’s.  You need to educate yourself on the issue, the carefully crafted decisions leading up to it which they overturned, and legislation since then that has been filibustered.  It’s an issue we should agree on if you can educate yourself on the above.  

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

@DriftBusta if money is the problem - which I agree with - then you should be livid at SCOTUS and their Citizens United decision along with supporting D’s.  You need to educate yourself on the issue, the carefully crafted decisions leading up to it which they overturned, and legislation since then that has been filibustered.  It’s an issue we should agree on if you can educate yourself on the above.  

Citizens United may have been the right decision as far as constitutional law is concerned. It is then up to the legislation to make law. The court only interprets law. Overturning Roe was the correct decision , now the legislature should make law concerning abortion. That is how our government was intended to work. Activist courts are no different than having a dictator. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Citizens United may have been the right decision as far as constitutional law is concerned. It is then up to the legislation to make law. The court only interprets law. Overturning Roe was the correct decision , now the legislature should make law concerning abortion. That is how our government was intended to work. Activist courts are no different than having a dictator. 

Still seems like something more shady going on, to me. Could be wrong though. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

3 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

As stated before...it leveled the ground between unions and big businesses to buy political favor...both should be eliminated but having just one side buying politicians is worse.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

100%

Just now, SkisNH said:

As stated before...it leveled the ground between unions and big businesses to buy political favor...both should be eliminated but having just one side buying politicians is worse.

It looks like we should have three new D’s supporting their efforts to get money out of politics.  Legislation filibustered multiple times by Repugs.  

Just now, SnowRider said:

It looks like we should have three new D’s supporting their efforts to get money out of politics.  Legislation filibustered multiple times by Repugs.  

I did make an edit to my post but I’ve never been against getting money out of politics. I certainly wouldn’t say that either side supports it more than in front of the press though. 

1 minute ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I did make an edit to my post but I’ve never been against getting money out of politics. I certainly wouldn’t say that either side supports it more than in front of the press though. 

Actually one side does while the other filibusters and resists.  

Actually one side does while the other filibusters and resists.  

The Ds could have gotten it through with ease if it was a priority. Just like universal healthcare or minimum wage… all lip service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Educate myself?  I didn't see you post up any opinions about the cancer of money in politics, that was me you intellectually dishonest hack.  You see me defending Citizens United?  No.  Ben is exactly right.  None of us are constitutional scholars, certainly not you.  Thats their job to interpret it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Abortion access has passed on every ballot  initiative.  Even in KS, KY, MT.

• Voters approved ballot measures to establish state constitutional rights to abortion in California, Michigan, and Vermont.
  • In Kansas and Kentucky, voters rejected ballot measures to state that nothing in their state constitutions creates a right to abortion or requires government funding of abortions.
  • In Montana, voters rejected a measure called the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act.

https://ballotpedia.org/2022_abortion-related_ballot_measures

Furthermore Repugs don’t like he results so now they are trying to block voter initiatives:

Ballot initiatives put directly to voters have proven a winning strategy for abortion rights activists since Roe v Wade was overturned this summer, with six referendums delivering favorable results for pro-choice advocates. 

In Ohio, Republicans want to bring their own legislation, raising the threshold for successful ballot initiatives to 60%, up from the simple majority currently required to amend the state constitution.

“The instinct from conservative lawmakers to make it harder for their voters to decide on the core issues that matter to them most is fundamentally an assault on voting rights,” says Kelly Hall, the executive director of the Fairness Project, an organization that supports progressive ballot initiatives in red and purple states. “Those lawmakers know their ideological views are out of sync with their voters [and] they are trying to change the rules of the game.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/19/abortion-rights-votes-ballot-initiatives-republican-stop-referendum

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The Ds could have gotten it through with ease if it was a priority. Just like universal healthcare or minimum wage… all lip service. 

Can’t without getting rid of the filibuster 

2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Please .... when they agree to cut off the money pump from the unions hell will freeze over. 

And that whole corrupt flying shit show will come crashing to the ground.  

Abortion access has passed on every ballot  initiative.  Even in KS, KY, MT.

• Voters approved ballot measures to establish state constitutional rights to abortion in California, Michigan, and Vermont.
  • In Kansas and Kentucky, voters rejected ballot measures to state that nothing in their state constitutions creates a right to abortion or requires government funding of abortions.
  • In Montana, voters rejected a measure called the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act.

https://ballotpedia.org/2022_abortion-related_ballot_measures
so 

Furthermore Repugs don’t like he results so now they are trying to block voter initiatives:

Ballot initiatives put directly to voters have proven a winning strategy for abortion rights activists since Roe v Wade was overturned this summer, with six referendums delivering favorable results for pro-choice advocates. 

In Ohio, Republicans want to bring their own legislation, raising the threshold for successful ballot initiatives to 60%, up from the simple majority currently required to amend the state constitution.

“The instinct from conservative lawmakers to make it harder for their voters to decide on the core issues that matter to them most is fundamentally an assault on voting rights,” says Kelly Hall, the executive director of the Fairness Project, an organization that supports progressive ballot initiatives in red and purple states. “Those lawmakers know their ideological views are out of sync with their voters [and] they are trying to change the rules of the game.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/19/abortion-rights-votes-ballot-initiatives-republican-stop-referendum

So shouldn't you be happy?  Democrats were losing their shit over the decision, one of your kind wanted to kill Kavanaugh.  Well done.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

So shouldn't you be happy?  Democrats were losing their shit over the decision, one of your kind wanted to kill Kavanaugh.  Well done.

No - it should be a right regardless of state.  But the point is women’s autonomy is winning at the ballot and now Repugs want to change the rules.  All talk about states rights and now suddenly they want their gerrymandered legislators to make the decision in lieu of the voters. 

4 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

No - it should be a right regardless of state.  But the point is women’s autonomy is winning at the ballot and now Repugs want to change the rules.  All talk about states rights and now suddenly they want their gerrymandered legislators to make the decision in lieu of the voters. 

Yes.  This is why there is no point in trying to negotiate with your side.  You get the best compromise available, and you still want to kill a Supreme court justice.  Conservatives don't think like that. I'm pro choice, always have been but i understand and respect the point being made.

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

They don't want a solution they want the issue to raise campaign funds with. I think abortion is the best example. No question the Dems could have pushed through a bill back when Obama took office as they held a majority in the house and Senate. Inaction cost them the issue and now that the states have the power to legislate I doubt even the most liberal of states will be willing to give it back. to her credit RGB gave them fair warning.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Funny how “ my body, my choice “ went out the window with covid shots

for the record have all the abortions ya want, just not on the taxpayers money 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Yes , it should be a right. Except the constitution doesn’t enumerate it in any capacity so it’s up to legislation. Not the fucking court 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes , it should be a right. Except the constitution doesn’t enumerate it in any capacity so it’s up to legislation. Not the fucking court 

Plus Dems being for a woman’s right to choose is completely fake. Look how many of them supported a woman’s right to choose whether or not they took a Covid shot 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Funny how “ my body, my choice “ went out the window with covid shots

for the record have all the abortions ya want, just not on the taxpayers money 

I don't think that point ever crossed his mind.  Because he's brainwashed into believing whatever they tell him to believe.  

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Plus Dems being for a woman’s right to choose is completely fake. Look how many of them supported a woman’s right to choose whether or not they took a Covid shot 

The same idiots believe a man can get pregnant.

• Haha 1