Check your account email address ×

Excess deaths are partisan

The study found that overall, the excess death rate for Republican voters was 5.4 percentage points, or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democratic voters. After COVID-19 vaccines became widely available, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 percentage points to 10.4 percentage points.

“The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available,” the authors said in the study.

The study’s findings were recently released as a working paper by the researchers in collaboration with the National Bureau of Economic Research. The findings have been reported extensively in national media including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and NBC News.

Schwartz said the findings amplify the critical importance of vaccines.

“Even as we continue to hear and talk a lot about booster campaigns, the updated booster, and trying to reach folks with their third or fourth or fifth dose, there are still over 70 million Americans who have yet to receive even their first dose of a COVID vaccine, who have rejected it all this time,” Schwartz said. “Those individuals remain at dramatically increased risk of severe outcomes, including death.”

The findings should also serve as a rallying cry for public health professionals to continue their push to make sure people are vaccinated to protect themselves from the ongoing threat of COVID-19, Schwartz said.

“The public health community can't give up on the hard work of trying to continue to make progress with those who are unvaccinated — hard as it is, intractable as many of those individuals appear to be at this point,” said Schwartz. “It will prolong and worsen the future of the pandemic if we continue to have this large segment of the population unvaccinated — particularly given the clusters of unvaccinated individuals in certain communities, certain regions, certain states — who remain highly susceptible to those severe outcomes.”

In conducting the research, the research team compared individual voter registration records from 2017 with death records from 2018 to 2021 for Ohio and Florida, Goldsmith-Pinkham said. They then calculated excess death rates controlling for differences in mortality rates pre-COVID.

The research showed that the gap between Republican and Democratic excess death “increased significantly after COVID vaccinations were readily available,” Goldsmith-Pinkham said.

https://ysph.yale.edu/news-article/study-finds-large-gap-in-excess-deaths-along-partisan-lines-after-covid-19-vaccines-introduced/

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

“Even as we continue to hear and talk a lot about booster campaigns, the updated booster, and trying to reach folks with their third or fourth or fifth dose, there are still over 70 million Americans who have yet to receive even their first dose of a COVID vaccine, who have rejected it all this time,” Schwartz said. “Those individuals remain at dramatically increased risk of severe outcomes, including death.”

How can a person not read this, and just laugh!! :lol2:  Seriously, this clown is warning about SEVENTY MILLION people who AREN'T vaccinated and have been just fine the past 2 years.  Just plain moronic.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
38 minutes ago, Bontz said:

COVID isn't a hoax, but how is it possible that 70 million unvaccinated people are still hanging around?  I mean, they all should be dead or in ICU, right?

Most Repugs either think it is a hoax or treat it like one.  It is/was new and medical professionals were/are responding as fast as possible with the information available to them at the time. 

Medicine and government are in a no win situation with a portion of the populace.  Those who are easily gut hooked by conspiracies and drank Drumpf’s kool-aid.  If there were very few deaths the above people did/will say - ‘It’s just the flu’ or ‘It’s no big deal’.  If a bunch of people die - then the cultists blame medicine and/or government.   

I’ll trust the professionals doing their best.  You guys trust Twitter and The Donald :thumbsup:  And if Darwin gets the last laugh - so be it 

20 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Most Repugs either think it is a hoax or treat it like one.  It is/was new and medical professionals were/are responding as fast as possible with the information available to them at the time. 

Medicine and government are in a no win situation with a portion of the populace.  Those who are easily gut hooked by conspiracies and drank Drumpf’s kool-aid.  If there were very few deaths the above people did/will say - ‘It’s just the flu’ or ‘It’s no big deal’.  If a bunch of people die - then the cultists blame medicine and/or government.   

I’ll trust the professionals doing their best.  You guys trust Twitter and The Donald :thumbsup:  And if Darwin gets the last laugh - so be it 

If we go back to the beginning it was the democrats who were telling people not to take the virus seriously and then later on in the year they were against the vaccines until they won the 2020 election. You do what your party tells you to and that's that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

If we go back to the beginning it was the democrats who were telling people not to take the virus seriously and then later on in the year they were against the vaccines until they won the 2020 election. You do what your party tells you to and that's that.

:lol: Must explain the OP and the increased Repug death rate :dunno:

29 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

500 positive tests at my workplace filled with old unhealthy individuals. 2 total deaths and both guys had one foot in the grave. It was a fucking flu you mindless retarded fuck 

Just now, f7ben said:

500 positive tests at my workplace filled with old unhealthy individuals. 2 total deaths and both guys had one foot in the grave. It was a fucking flu you mindless retarded fuck 

Great.  I know 5 people mid 50’s or younger with solid health who died along with several other acquaintances of various ages and health.  

5 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Great.  I know 5 people mid 50’s or younger with solid health who died along with several other acquaintances of various ages and health.  

That sucks man , sorry. My uncle died with covid but he was 72 with advanced copd and not particularly healthy. I don’t personally know anyone else that died.

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That sucks man , sorry. My uncle died with covid but he was 72 with advanced copd and not particularly healthy. I don’t personally know anyone else that died.

Nobody I’d consider a close friend but did have one classmate die Sept 2020, a lady  a year older middle of last year, 2 local business owners I knew - so a variety. Point is I was aware and knew several people who died from it. 

Sorry about your Uncle - 72 isn’t that old.

Edited by SnowRider

8 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Nobody I’d consider a close friend but did have one classmate die Sept 2020, a lady  a year older middle of last year, 2 local business owners I knew - so a variety. Point is I was aware and knew several people who died from it. 

Sorry about your Uncle - 72 isn’t that old.

So you don't actually know if they had solid health as you'd say. They weren't even a close friend and for all you know they could've had other underlying health issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SnowRider said:

So can we assume you've had your 5th booster?  Please be honest.

5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

So you don't actually know if they had solid health as you'd say. They weren't even a close friend and for all you know they could've had other underlying health issues.

Absolutely correct - you’re in a fantastic position to understand my post :lmao:  let me explain an example quickly - I lost a classmate to COVID - she was 49 at the time - we had a class of 32 kids from a town of a thousand. My parents still live there.  Her family still Ives there.  It was a confirmed COVID death.  She lived in SD.  I live in WI.  Last we saw each other talked outside social media was 10 years ago.  Now - since you’re on the ‘spectrum’ and might lack friends - you may consider that a close friend.  I do not.  So if you want to play the semantics game  - have at it :thumbsup:

Edited by SnowRider

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

So can we assume you've had your 5th booster?  Please be honest.

Might go into today if I have time and get my last one to date :thumbsup:  It’s all good :bc:

4 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Absolutely correct - you’re in a fantastic position to understand my post :lmao:  let me explain an example quickly - I lost a classmate to COVID - she was 49 at the time - we had a class of 32 kids from a town of a thousand. My parents still live there.  Her family still Ives there.  It was a confirmed COVID death.  She lived in SD.  I live in WI.  Last we saw each other talked outside social media was 10 years ago.  Now - since you’re on the ‘spectrum’ and might lack friends - you may consider that a close friend.  I do not.  So if you want to play the semantics game  - have at it :thumbsup:

I stand by my original statement. 

:bc:

15 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

You could have just said, "You're right Steve - I really don't know." But hey, great deflection!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

You could have just said, "You're right Steve - I really don't know." But hey, great deflection!

Why would I say that when I do know :dunno:  

:lol: 

9 hours ago, Steve753 said:

And Trump was called a  Xenophobe when acting early and shutting flights down from China.

Pelosi was telling everyone to dine out and nothing to worry about.

And definitely dont trust the vaccine developed under Trump.

Anything Anti-Trump was the theme

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

And Trump was called a  Xenophobe when acting early and shutting flights down from China.

Pelosi was telling everyone to dine out and nothing to worry about.

And definitely dont trust the vaccine developed under Trump.

Anything Anti-Trump was the theme

Exactly. Just despicable people.