Check your account email address ×

tire prices

anyone needing tires or snow tires shouldn't hesitate. the prices are staggering, even for small sizes. i just sold a set of lt275/70/18 studded duratracs, 438.00 each on the truck. even the cheap brands are ridiculous. if you need , go get em'. not gonna get any better, or cheaper. snow tires already scarce and it just snowed for the first time . didn't get slick so everyone is holding off. then it will get slick, they will be crying when the only snows left are blizzaks. they work but are big money

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

i may have sent up a warning flare as well. gonna get worse. i just bought some hankooks , and they had a 90.00 rebate. still painful, but sled season is here and fresh treads are good . 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Just got a set of KO2’s for the van. They weren’t too bad. Not great, but definitely not a bank buster.  Shop rates for mount and balancing has definitely gone through the roof.  

indeed mount and balance has gone crazy. our new balancer was 16k. tire machine the same. that's a lot of tire changes

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

indeed mount and balance has gone crazy. our new balancer was 16k. tire machine the same. that's a lot of tire changes

most have little to no understanding of the associated costs to have a modern vehicle with modern tools, equipment and subscriptions to repair them before it even comes into the shop.  most techs have more invested in tools than the value of the vehicles they work on.

I could go on... and on...

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

anyone needing tires or snow tires shouldn't hesitate. the prices are staggering, even for small sizes. i just sold a set of lt275/70/18 studded duratracs, 438.00 each on the truck. even the cheap brands are ridiculous. if you need , go get em'. not gonna get any better, or cheaper. snow tires already scarce and it just snowed for the first time . didn't get slick so everyone is holding off. then it will get slick, they will be crying when the only snows left are blizzaks. they work but are big money

I buy take offs from Facebook market place for my trucks. Usually less than 50 miles on them. Kids gotta get their big off road tires saves me a bundle. Just got a set of Michelin LTX AT2 275 65 R20 10 PLY for $500.

Edited by Steve753
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

most have little to no understanding of the associated costs to have a modern vehicle with modern tools, equipment and subscriptions to repair them before it even comes into the shop.  most techs have more invested in tools than the value of the vehicles they work on.

I could go on... and on...

Do you have Schierl up there?  Do they still do free tire repairs?  The one in Plover does yet.  My local Twin Cities shop that I trust raised their price from $20 to $30 for a simple nail repair in the last year...

Just now, Mag6240 said:

Do you have Schierl up there?  Do they still do free tire repairs?  The one in Plover does yet.  My local Twin Cities shop that I trust raised their price from $20 to $30 for a simple nail repair in the last year...

Buy your own tire repair kit. I've got one in all my vehicles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

yes, in Weston right off 29

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Buy your own tire repair kit. I've got one in all my vehicles.

i think dealers in ny have to fix from inside

Repairs are limited to the tread area only; puncture injury cannot be greater than 1/4 inch (6mm), repairs must be performed by removing the tire from the rim/wheel assembly to perform a complete inspection to assess all damage that may be present, repairs cannot overlap, and a rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to ..

• Like 1

True. The shop that I use lost two of its employees to early retirement. They had to go outside the area for some good techs. Apparently they didn’t come cheap. 

15 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

True. The shop that I use lost two of its employees to early retirement. They had to go outside the area for some good techs. Apparently they didn’t come cheap. 

at least they came. we are a gmc dealer, and i have 3 techs. one is 70, one is 71, and the other is 55. i'm 56, boss is 59. we had a 20s guy as a tech. smart kid but late 2 days a week. here you get a weeks vaca and 3 sick days the day you start. he used all of those and ended up with missing 30 days this year. then he gives his notice and doesn't come back. forecast here is ugly as you can see by the age of the staff. plus we are in a small ski town , no one coming looking for a job. sad situation but we maintain 5 stars in sales and service. imagine a shop that is not flat rate today

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

at least they came. we are a gmc dealer, and i have 3 techs. one is 70, one is 71, and the other is 55. i'm 56, boss is 59. we had a 20s guy as a tech. smart kid but late 2 days a week. here you get a weeks vaca and 3 sick days the day you start. he used all of those and ended up with missing 30 days this year. then he gives his notice and doesn't come back. forecast here is ugly as you can see by the age of the staff. plus we are in a small ski town , no one coming looking for a job. sad situation but we maintain 5 stars in sales and service. imagine a shop that is not flat rate today

Lack of skilled labor is at critical mass across the country. The younger people refuse to take the time and put in the effort to hone a trade. It’ll only get worse. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Lack of skilled labor is at critical mass across the country. The younger people refuse to take the time and put in the effort to hone a trade. It’ll only get worse. 

i don't know who they think is going to be fixing their ev. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’m thankful that I took the time to learn how to fix my own stuff. I won’t even trust these young hammerheads to change oil. 

i fix everything myself from my bicycle , sled , to the washing machine. can't trust anyone

i don't know who they think is going to be fixing their ev. 

According to a fella on this site, EVs rarely have issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Discounttire does for free, even if you didn’t buy from them. Free rotations too.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Always do a search on Walmart.com for tires before you buy.

A Walmart affiliated dealer in Alaska sold me 4 255/50/19 Blizzaks for $150 a piece.

Shipped free.... :lol:

The only thing to keep in mind is some models are discontinued and should you need a replacement you could be SOL.