Check your account email address ×

Teachers in Illinois get November 8th off to vote

State law varies from a couple hours to "any amount of time" for all states to allow workers to vote.  I'm surprised a school is allowing their staff the entire day (although I shouldn't be, I guess).

The midterm election will be held on November 8, 2022. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day.

Seems there should be some time in there to vote instead of getting the whole day off as well as absentee voting.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

There’s a national holiday celebrating a Catholic serial killer and Jewish zombie.  What’s wrong with having Election Day off? 

Seeing election day is always the second tuesday of November , I think making it a federal holiday would result in less people voting. Many would call in sick on Monday and make it a 4 day weekend. Sure plenty would plan to make it home in time. But hey , shit happens.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm going to get up an hour early to head out to vote, it's important to me, more than an hours sleep is,  my job is also important to me and the customers who rely on me/us to be there..So I'm going to sacrifice that whopping hour of sleep once every couple years to vote..Novel idea right!

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

They should. 

Why ? They can't catch 1 of the busses at the high school they run to the polls full if 18 yr Old mush minds ?

Or the limo or fully stocked party busses running from the collage campus to the polls ? 

Voting is done in many schools in IL. I will be going to vote in the high school down the street tomorrow. They closed the school years ago for security reasons.  It has nothing to do with the teachers getting the day off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Gov in Illinois is gonna push vax mandates for kids after the election.

Time to toss the trash people.

No he isn’t. Our school district sued him over the mask mandate in schools and won. The county I live in told him to fuck off and all of the restaurants opened back up a year before Chicago did.

• Like 1