Check your account email address ×

Anyone ever buy a rebuilt title vehicle?

Picking up a rig for the wife Monday that has a rebuilt title. Financing was a little painful and the rate sucks but I’m not borrowing that much so no matter there. Specifically curious about full coverage on it. Anyone ever insure one? What should I expect?

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

To get raped on resale and to have insurance fight you like hell on valuation if it gets smoked.

I’m ok with that as long as I can actually get insurance. I just need something reliable for wife and my kid to drive for the next several years and this fits the bill. Probably saving about 10gs for it having been wrecked and I have all the damage pics. It was all cosmetic. I’m not fucking paying 50-60k for something new. Absolute idiocy 

Picked up a 16 Malibu loaded for daughter couple years ago.salvaged title.

bought from local body shop for $7k valued over $12k when we bought it.

she put full coverage on it and hit deer about year later and damaged front end.

she finally had it fixed in Florida for $4k and insurance paid no problem.

There is a wreck yard near me that sells rebuildables and I have looked into a few pickups over the years to repair myself but the perpetual salvage title is a scare. Even if it’s done perfect that salvage title black mark stays.

The insurance company will send an inspector to verify it’s repaired correctly before they will insure.

9 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Picked up a 16 Malibu loaded for daughter couple years ago.salvaged title.

bought from local body shop for $7k valued over $12k when we bought it.

she put full coverage on it and hit deer about year later and damaged front end.

she finally had it fixed in Florida for $4k and insurance paid no problem.

That’s good to hear. 

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

There is a wreck yard near me that sells rebuildables and I have looked into a few pickups over the years to repair myself but the perpetual salvage title is a scare. Even if it’s done perfect that salvage title black mark stays.

The insurance company will send an inspector to verify it’s repaired correctly before they will insure.

I think all that shit is already handled by this collision center dealer. It’s already been state inspected and cleared for highway use 

It’s a 2017 Expedition Limited 4wd. 80k miles and is pretty well mint now after repair. Settled on 20gs for price. Market for clean title seems to be close to 30k 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Picking up a rig for the wife Monday that has a rebuilt title. Financing was a little painful and the rate sucks but I’m not borrowing that much so no matter there. Specifically curious about full coverage on it. Anyone ever insure one? What should I expect?

Adam on here has bought a few of them I guess . Thought he said pretty much all he buys 

@akvanden

Thing is it dose not take a lot to total a car now days . I guess if more than 50% of the bags go off it is most likely going to be salvage . 

I would bring a body man with me if I was buying the state inspectors I think pretty much rubber stamp em 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s a 2017 Expedition Limited 4wd. 80k miles and is pretty well mint now after repair. Settled on 20gs for price. Market for clean title seems to be close to 30k 

I have a 09 limited. Love the thing. Keep those power running boards lubed or don’t use em especially in the winter. Also the hood and rear hatch are aluminum so keep a eye on the paint boil from oxidation. 

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Thing is it dose not take a lot to total a car now days . I guess if more than 50% of the bags go off it is most likely going to be salvage . 

I would bring a body man with me if I was buying the state inspectors I think pretty much rubber stamp em 

Just looking at the pics from the damage will give me a good idea what to look at. I’ve fixed a few hard hits myself including straightening a frame so I’m not totally clueless. The body work should be pretty self explanatory. That damage pretty much looks like 100% panel replacements to me 

Just now, Mainecat said:

I have a 09 limited. Love the thing. Keep those power running boards lubed or don’t use em especially in the winter. Also the hood and rear hatch are aluminum so keep a eye on the paint boil from oxidation. 

Yah they are nice rigs , this has an eco boost and I’ve had great luck with those. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have owned several.

1996 F350

2002 F250 4x4,

2012 Jeep KJ, Traded it for a Rebuilt 2010 Acura MDX (still own)

2013 F350 4x4, sold in 2015

2012 Ram 1500, still own

2012 F250 4x4, still own

2012 F250 4x4, still own

I had/have full coverage on the 2013 F350, Ram 1500, and the Acura. The others I bought for work.

When I buy I don't plan to resell. I Jeep was the wife's and I hated it so I traded it for the Acura and a cheque for $2000.

They all came through people I knew.

I never needed a loan.

Never had a problem insuring them though when I had the 2013 F350 for sale I had 2 people tell me they couldn't get insure. The guy who bought it had no issue.

It is crooked if these insurance companies won't insure them. They are the ones that put the salvage title to them so they bring more money at auction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have owned several.

1996 F350

2002 F250 4x4,

2012 Jeep KJ, Traded it for a Rebuilt 2010 Acura MDX (still own)

2013 F350 4x4, sold in 2015

2012 Ram 1500, still own

2012 F250 4x4, still own

2012 F250 4x4, still own

I had/have full coverage on the 2013 F350, Ram 1500, and the Acura. The others I bought for work.

When I buy I don't plan to resell. I Jeep was the wife's and I hated it so I traded it for the Acura and a cheque for $2000.

They all came through people I knew.

I never needed a loan.

Never had a problem insuring them though when I had the 2013 F350 for sale I had 2 people tell me they couldn't get insure. The guy who bought it had no issue.

It is crooked if these insurance companies won't insure them. They are the ones that put the salvage title to them so they bring more money at auction.

That’s a good point , the entire insurance industry is a state mandated racket 

As long as you're not worried about resale value and you're sure nothing mechanical has been damaged, it's sounds like a good deal. I have been tempted to take that route on a couple vehicles but the resale value was always a concern for me.......even though I usually hang onto cars for a very long time.

10 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

My 2013 F350 was branded salvage because it was a theft recovery and the windshield was broken.

Not sure how it works there, but in Canada its a big process to get through the inspection. Frame alignment certification, safety inspection, details of original damage, how it was repaired, list of all parts and the source. I live in a city of 600k people and their are only 2 shops that are certified to do the paperwork.

54 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You mean a vehicle with salvage title?

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

As long as you're not worried about resale value and you're sure nothing mechanical has been damaged, it's sounds like a good deal. I have been tempted to take that route on a couple vehicles but the resale value was always a concern for me.......even though I usually hang onto cars for a very long time.

Yah I’ll keep it until it rots out unless it makes sense to sell for some odd reason. 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That’s a good point , the entire insurance industry is a state mandated racket 

Its getting stupid here. The insurance companies are buying up the bodyshops in order to control the repair costs. The bodyshops are buying the towing companies.

We have a guy here in town who owns the towing company, the storage lot, the bodyshop, the rental agency and a used car lot. God help ya if one of his vultures grabs your  vehicle after an accident. lol

4 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

You mean a vehicle with salvage title?

The title is branded salvage after the accident. Once its repaired and deemed fit to return to the road its then a Rebuilt title.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes

Well I read a little further and see it was in an accident, and not from  flood damage (which never buy a flood damaged vehicle)

It's roll of the dice, I have heard of some insurance companies not wanting to insure vehicles with a salvage title, and also not paying on market value for total loss..just check with your insurance company. Not a bad price for that, is it repaired well?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Well I read a little further and see it was in an accident, and not from  flood damage (which never buy a flood damaged vehicle)

It's roll of the dice, I have heard of some insurance companies not wanting to insure vehicles with a salvage title, and also not paying on market value for total loss..just check with your insurance company. Not a bad price for that, is it repaired well?.

I haven’t seen it in person but the shop has a good reputation and they sent me very detailed pics and video and it looks right. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

My 06 explorer has a branded title. One of the best vehicles I've ever had. Full coverage hasn't been a problem with farmer's insurance. 

Good to know , I ha e progressive now but I’ll shop if I have to 

I’ve bought two over the years. A “97 jeep Cherokee and “05 Toyota rav4. Paid $1500 for the jeep and $4200 for the rav4. I put over 100k on both and sold them for more than I paid. Both were pretty much trouble free. The jeep did leave me stranded on a snowmobile trip. The crank sensor went south. Froze a finger putting in a new one. Wish I would’ve kept the jeep.