Check your account email address ×

Catalytic Converter

Minneapolis is trying something to help prevent thefts:

Catalytic converter thefts increased from 124 reports in 2019 to 1,076 in 2020, according to MinnPost, which cited Minneapolis Police Department data. And the problem has gotten even worse in 2021.

Catalytic Converter Pilot / Minnesota.gov (mn.gov)

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Minneapolis is trying something to help prevent thefts:

Catalytic converter thefts increased from 124 reports in 2019 to 1,076 in 2020, according to MinnPost, which cited Minneapolis Police Department data. And the problem has gotten even worse in 2021.

Catalytic Converter Pilot / Minnesota.gov (mn.gov)

Congress is too. They got some bill going now to add vin stampings to the catalytic converters of new vehicles.

• Like 2

We've had a few stolen and a shitload in the area. 5-0 says good luck. Heroin heads get caught and back on the street they go. Judicial system tells them to appear and they don't show. Useless pieces of shit that I wish the narcan was inches away from them when they OD.

2 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Ban cordless sawzalls!

And cordless grinders with cut off wheels.

We need pass some sort cordless power tool  reform along with limiting the number of Sawzall blades and grinder wheels someone can purchase at one time. You will have to show your drivers license at the time of purchase on either of items and that info will be added into a national data base to track your purchases. You will be limited to 1 sawzall blade or 1 grinder wheel in a 1 month period.  If you try to purchase more than one of either item per month your account will be red flagged and the local Police department, FBI and the ATF will be notified.

• Haha 4

Meth heads around rural Winnipeg were trying to steal a cat off an autistic guys car and caught the grass on fire then it burned his house down 

he waited in his barn for days for them to come back and when they did he filled one full of lead 

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

Meth heads around rural Winnipeg were trying to steal a cat off an autistic guys car and caught the grass on fire then it burned his house down 

he waited in his barn for days for them to come back and when they did he filled one full of lead 

guns.gif.b8e27aedbb73bc4c9cebdb3a012add20.gif

shoot-foot.gif.21c57d893f4a10baa1589e2cb574ba37.gif

uzi.gif.96d8a4f3c6263ca2e8dc3ffbfb7e9bfc.gif

trap.gif.0b5899b650004fe22ef5217bf9aa14b9.gif

https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-yard/price/lead-scrap/5

image.thumb.png.8c8f456cf577cd37b9d70bb55632e1f2.png

Crime of opportunity.

Rims and stereos are too much work. 

I used to think that a noisy vehicle coming down the road always belonged to someone too cheap to replace the muffler.  Now, the majority of them are nice vehicles with nicely removed cats.  I'm not sure if the supply shortage on those has improved.  I know that some had a long wait for replacement.

One of the supposed deterrents being promoted was painting them with bright orange paint?  There were a few news stories showing cops under vehicles with spray cans.  Who comes up with these ideas? 

Those things get sold through a fairly narrow pipeline of scrap buyers.  It makes more sense to focus in that area vs. the PSA stuff with cops crawling under cars with spray paint.

We went to a dealer who had 4 cut off brand new zero milage vehicles, they cut them off during a wicked downpour the security cameras were so blurred they couldn't even tell the make of the vehicle they were driving.

My question is who is paying money for the scrap metals from the converters and who's buying the converters and reselling them? I would think a scrap yard would know the metal I'm scraping can pretty much only come from one thing and is more than likely from a stolen converter.  Why are the police not notified about someone scrapping the metal or the converters? The last time I scrapped some stuff from around my house they needed to see my drivers license before they would take and pay me for my little bit of scrape I had, some copper wire, pipe and a couple other little items.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Crime of opportunity.

Rims and stereos are too much work. 

I used to think that a noisy vehicle coming down the road always belonged to someone too cheap to replace the muffler.  Now, the majority of them are nice vehicles with nicely removed cats.  I'm not sure if the supply shortage on those has improved.  I know that some had a long wait for replacement.

One of the supposed deterrents being promoted was painting them with bright orange paint?  There were a few news stories showing cops under vehicles with spray cans.  Who comes up with these ideas? 

Those things get sold through a fairly narrow pipeline of scrap buyers.  It makes more sense to focus in that area vs. the PSA stuff with cops crawling under cars with spray paint.

They are stealing them to sell them to scrap yards to extract the platinum. 

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

My question is who is paying money for the scrap metals from the converters and who's buying the converters and reselling them? I would think a scrap yard would know the metal I'm scraping can pretty much only come from one thing and is more than likely from a stolen converter.  Why are the police not notified about someone scrapping the metal or the converters? The last time I scrapped some stuff from around my house they needed to see my drivers license before they would take and pay me for my little bit of scrape I had, some copper wire, pipe and a couple other little items.

Boss let’s us take all the scrap as a bonus and the place I go never asks anything. We always load my buds dump truck full of aluminum crap all car stuff never says nothing. Basically tell him load of aluminum he checks some stuff with a magnet quick then run over the scale and he cuts a check. He’s never once looked at my license could tell him my names Ronald McDonald and he probably write it on the check 😂.

6 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Boss let’s us take all the scrap as a bonus and the place I go never asks anything. We always load my buds dump truck full of aluminum crap all car stuff never says nothing. Basically tell him load of aluminum he checks some stuff with a magnet quick then run over the scale and he cuts a check. He’s never once looked at my license could tell him my names Ronald McDonald and he probably write it on the check 😂.

Some of the guys who scrape for a living around here and scum bags so they check ID's because some would go back to the scrap yard at night and steal what they just scrapped that day and take it to another scrap yard. The scrap yards kind of look out for each other because of that. The other thing is scrapping is kind of like selling something at a pawnshop if it's stolen and you get caught with it you can be charged receiving stolen property, it's fucked either way thieves are scumbags, I hate thieves and liars.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

Some of the guys who scrape for a living around here and scum bags so they check ID's because some would go back to the scrap yard at night and steal what they just scrapped that day and take it to another scrap yard. The scrap yards kind of look out for each other because of that. The other thing is scrapping is kind of like selling something at a pawnshop if it's stolen and you get caught with it you can be charged receiving stolen property, it's fucked either way thieves are scumbags, I hate thieves and liars.

Ya I can see why they’d check ID’s seems like it be a business that deals with some sketchy people coming in with stolen shit copper and cats or whatever. There was a news story couple years ago here that some dope stole a bunch of manhole covers and tried to scrap them 😂. Ya he got caught. Thief’s usually aren’t the smartest. 

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ya I can see why they’d check ID’s seems like it be a business that deals with some sketchy people coming in with stolen shit copper and cats or whatever. There was a news story couple years ago here that some dope stole a bunch of manhole covers and tried to scrap them 😂. Ya he got caught. Thief’s usually aren’t the smartest. 

years ago they were driving up to houses and ripping the copper downspouts off of houses, there were a couple who stolen bronze vases off of headstones at a local cemetery drove from Pittsburgh Pa to somewhere in Ohio to scrap them, they were arrested a couple days later.

Yep thieves are scum and drug addiction makes people do some stupid shit.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ironic post of the day............it's "thieves" :lmao:

I couldn't help it, you teed that one up pretty good. :bc:

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Ironic post of the day............it's "thieves" :lmao:

I couldn't help it, you teed that one up pretty good. :bc:

👍 I may not be the smartest with spelling and grammar but I’m smart enough not to steal 😂 I guess I got that going for me.

• Like 1