PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

12 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Thanks for the reply man.  My copper buddies were the ones saying its unconstitutional but they are not OPP.   I'm not sure if it would be considered bad things that we are going to do, just a birthday party LOL!!  Oh well, what ever happens, happens.

Thanks again! 

Enjoy the party!!   And if it's yours.... happy freakin birthday!!

For what it's worth.  We are not actively looking for these events.. it's nosey neighbours calling it in.... last thing we want to do.  Ugh. 

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Enjoy the party!!   And if it's yours.... happy freakin birthday!!

For what it's worth.  We are not actively looking for these events.. it's nosey neighbours calling it in.... last thing we want to do.  Ugh. 

Its mine, I spill the beans lol. That's exactly what my friends are saying, they don't want to come to a party to break it up. Anyway thanks for you info, hopefully it all goes well. My wife is shitting her pants, thats for sure haha

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Here is an interesting one for you.Friday afternoon the OPP set up a road bloc on our one lane under construction bridge on hwy 69. It has an auto light with manual override on the weekends. so the lightly pursued vehicle crashes hard into the pickup cruiser. This is when things get weird.No fire dept,rescue. or ambulance.I have seen many accidents on hwy 69 and this is normal.road closure is usually 4hrs 8 with fatality.They had every thing towed away within the hr.Strange,no pics no extra coppers.No tweets from opp on road closure,no 511 posts.News media were told no information available with several hundred witness some body sherrly called 911..If you didn`t know what was going on you think it was movie shoot or a training exercise lol. Definitely. way out of normal protocol Who was in the White Escalade they are try to hide.

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, gtserider said:

Here is an interesting one for you.Friday afternoon the OPP set up a road bloc on our one lane under construction bridge on hwy 69. It has an auto light with manual override on the weekends. so the lightly pursued vehicle crashes hard into the pickup cruiser. This is when things get weird.No fire dept,rescue. or ambulance.I have seen many accidents on hwy 69 and this is normal.road closure is usually 4hrs 8 with fatality.They had every thing towed away within the hr.Strange,no pics no extra coppers.No tweets from opp on road closure,no 511 posts.News media were told no information available with several hundred witness some body sherrly called 911..If you didn`t know what was going on you think it was movie shoot or a training exercise lol. Definitely. way out of normal protocol Who was in the White Escalade they are try to hide.

Just wondering what reasons they could have for making this so quite. Disposal of public asserts without accountability is also a concern.SIU has been no where to be seen.Correct me if I`m wrong but any Police action that causes injury to a civilian is under there mandate.

49 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Just wondering what reasons they could have for making this so quite. Disposal of public asserts without accountability is also a concern.SIU has been no where to be seen.Correct me if I`m wrong but any Police action that causes injury to a civilian is under there mandate.

I have no idea what happened so can't really offer any insight. If I knew, and it was allowed to be public I'd share.  SIU gets activated if the injuries are serious in nature...broken bones etc. 

3 minutes ago, odot1 said:

I have no idea what happened so can't really offer any insight. If I knew, and it was allowed to be public I'd share.  SIU gets activated if the injuries are serious in nature...broken bones etc. 

Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Sean

Our clubs are having a problem with sleds running on closed trails. We are trying to pack and fill in areas(Canadian Shield), pack down the swamps, and they are just getting destroyed with the amount of traffic on them. Very frustrating. Regardless of our situation, the reason a trail is closed could also be due to landowner issue, unsafe bridge, fallen trees,  etc.

OPP were out in TMSC (Bobcaygeon) and BDSC (Buckhorn) yesterday(third party info but they had pics) and they were only giving out warnings. (again third party info). Not much of a deterrent.

Is there any benefit to club executives reaching out to their local OPP detachments to get them to enforce a zero tolerance policy on closed trails (as well as other infractions) and issue tickets instead of verbal warnings? If so, who should they talk to?

Thanks, Dan

1 hour ago, yamadan700 said:

Hi Sean

Our clubs are having a problem with sleds running on closed trails. We are trying to pack and fill in areas(Canadian Shield), pack down the swamps, and they are just getting destroyed with the amount of traffic on them. Very frustrating. Regardless of our situation, the reason a trail is closed could also be due to landowner issue, unsafe bridge, fallen trees,  etc.

OPP were out in TMSC (Bobcaygeon) and BDSC (Buckhorn) yesterday(third party info but they had pics) and they were only giving out warnings. (again third party info). Not much of a deterrent.

Is there any benefit to club executives reaching out to their local OPP detachments to get them to enforce a zero tolerance policy on closed trails (as well as other infractions) and issue tickets instead of verbal warnings? If so, who should they talk to?

Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan,

This is an ongoing provincial problem. One we keep talking about within our team.  Off trail/trespassing, trail pass and cans are zero tolerance within our unit.  Reaching out to the local detachments is the best idea.  You can request to speak to the operators manager or the traffic/marine management officer.  Keep me posted. 

Sean

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Hi Sean,

I'm having a big party in Ottawa this weekend.  Stop in if you like

Lol, thanks for still replying to this thread.  I almost forgot about it

Cheers!

Lmfao!!  Seems I may already have an invite I just can't refuse!!  And thank you. Hopefully it's a better season!!!

🍻 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our club did reach out to the local OPP and they were receptive to our suggestions. Maybe it made a difference, hence the following article. Have seen their truck and sled trailer at different parking areas more often in the last while, weekdays and weekends. Good to see!

9A108B64-34A6-4CDC-A36F-3603ECC211E4.thumb.png.343ccffa34e10050b093fde07a76ed17.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yamadan700 said:

Our club did reach out to the local OPP and they were receptive to our suggestions. Maybe it made a difference, hence the following article. Have seen their truck and sled trailer at different parking areas more often in the last while, weekdays and weekends. Good to see!

9A108B64-34A6-4CDC-A36F-3603ECC211E4.thumb.png.343ccffa34e10050b093fde07a76ed17.png

That's fantastic!   I'm glad they listened to your club.  We don't want to lose trails any more than the average sledder!

• Like 1

Sean I saw the article before it was posted here & was thinking of the insecure helmet charges. I'm sure the rule has been discussed before, but how common is it. I know once I inadvertently hadn't done up mine up, but I would never ride w/ the straps just flapping on purpose. How often is this charge laid?

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Sean I saw the article before it was posted here & was thinking of the insecure helmet charges. I'm sure the rule has been discussed before, but how common is it. I know once I inadvertently hadn't done up mine up, but I would never ride w/ the straps just flapping on purpose. How often is this charge laid?

Sadly more common than you'd expect.  I'd say 2 or 3 occasions per shift. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

Hi Sean,

A topic which has been discussed many time something I’d like bit of clarification on.

It been common practise the last few years for people sell an unused permit or sell a snowmobile with a current permit attached.

I’ve have run into Police stops on many occasions and have never been asked for paperwork for my permit (though I do carry it), only for registration and insurance. I have always assumed that no one cares as long as a permit is on display.

Is their an actual legal requirement to have the permit on the sled registered to the owner?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hi Sean,

A topic which has been discussed many time something I’d like bit of clarification on.

It been common practise the last few years for people sell an unused permit or sell a snowmobile with a current permit attached.

I’ve have run into Police stops on many occasions and have never been asked for paperwork for my permit (though I do carry it), only for registration and insurance. I have always assumed that no one cares as long as a permit is on display.

Is their an actual legal requirement to have the permit on the sled registered to the owner?

In all honesty, the only time I want ti see the documentation for the trail pass is when the pass isn't affixed. I've found a percentage of riders travel with the pass in their pockets. Either because they share it with others or don't like the looks of it on the sled. In both cases we're making you put it on trsilside PLUS the ticket for failing to have it displayed. Although when dealing with a good attitude and hearing a legitimate reason I may be flexible.  Now as far as a legal requirement,  the OFSC stipulates you must have the the paperwork AND it must be for that sled and registered owner. There is no specific charge for that, but when you read the waivers and signage it says you must abide by all rules and regulations of the OFSC. Therefore, not having the paperwork means you are technically trespassing and can be fined and/or removed from the trails.  I hope that answers your question or wins you a beer fior the next debate!!  If I missed something or misread the question, let me know.  

Sean

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, revrnd said:

What are the regulations on vehicle widths/clearance lights in regards to sled decks? 

I want to make sure I understand correctly.  Are you talking about the vehicle/trailer or the sled?

4 hours ago, odot1 said:

I want to make sure I understand correctly.  Are you talking about the vehicle/trailer or the sled?

The decks on top of the box, that stick out past the sides of a typical pickup (wide enough to carry 2 sleds).

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

The decks on top of the box, that stick out past the sides of a typical pickup (wide enough to carry 2 sleds).

You are limited, both vehicle and load to a maximum of 2.6m or 8.5ft.  Length of veh can't exceed 12.5m or 41ft. 

Hope this answers your question

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 3:42 PM, odot1 said:

You are limited, both vehicle and load to a maximum of 2.6m or 8.5ft.  Length of veh can't exceed 12.5m or 41ft. 

Hope this answers your question

Thanks. I just about clipped a guy a year or so ago. It was getting near dusk & his left wheels were on the yellow line. I didn't realise he had a deck (no sleds loaded) on it since there was no clearance light @ the left front corner of it. I did shift over to the shoulder to avoid hitting my mirror. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Thanks. I just about clipped a guy a year or so ago. It was getting near dusk & his left wheels were on the yellow line. I didn't realise he had a deck (no sleds loaded) on it since there was no clearance light @ the left front corner of it. I did shift over to the shoulder to avoid hitting my mirror. 

Wow, that could've ended badly. I agree should have that overhang marked. But there really is nothing that would cover that scenario for lighting. I'll keep digging tho. 

• Like 1