PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

All,

As in the previous FS I am willing to lend my expertise like any others on this forum.  I will attempt to answer any and all relevant question you have regarding sleds, ATVs and general enforcement.  Be aware..this is not official OPP communication nor is it legal advice.  Its simply my opinion based on experience as a police officer.  For those unaware I've spent the past 10yrs working in the Snowmobile ATV Vessel Enforcement team (SAVE) and have built up a lot of experience, met many of the original members and I think we all had benefitted from the questions shared on here.  Hopefully the mods will pin this thread.  All I ask is that this thread not turn into a police bashing thread...  If that happens I will not be able to continue.  Feel free to bash away, just not in this thread please. 

Sean

• Like 4

• ckf pinned this topic
7 minutes ago, odot1 said:

All,

As in the previous FS I am willing to lend my expertise like any others on this forum.  I will attempt to answer any and all relevant question you have regarding sleds, ATVs and general enforcement.  Be aware..this is not official OPP communication nor is it legal advice.  Its simply my opinion based on experience as a police officer.  For those unaware I've spent the past 10yrs working in the Snowmobile ATV Vessel Enforcement team (SAVE) and have built up a lot of experience, met many of the original members and I think we all had benefitted from the questions shared on here.  Hopefully the mods will pin this thread.  All I ask is that this thread not turn into a police bashing thread...  If that happens I will not be able to continue.  Feel free to bash away, just not in this thread please. 

Sean

Done :bc:

Ok I will throw the first bone just to get things going and ask a question in regards to ATV's on roads.  How soon can a driver new get a G2 license and drive an ATV or SxS legally on their own?  My kid is turning 16 within a month. 

Edit:

Can a SxS be driven on a road by someone with a G1 if there is a passenger that has a G license?

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Wasaga allows atv on the road. Do atv's require headlights, tail lights and a speedo?

my neighbor was pulled over for speeding last weekend by opp, who had the atv club prez with him. (They were coming back from enforcing laws at Hendrie)  He didn't know exactly his speed (Wasaga 20kmhr max atv) but he said he was putting in second gear, and guesses he was around 20kmhr.    They fined him with 20km over the limit, and issued him the same sort of fine you would get speeding on a sled. The atv club prez told him he has to have lighting and a speedo.  I couldn't find any laws that state that. 

That is great news for Wasaga letting ATV's use the municipal roads.   The speed would be 20kmh if the road limit is 50kmh or less, also headlights and taillights must be on all the time.  That is pretty much province wide.  Don't know about having an actual speedo, but I guess that would not really matter.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, dirtybeacher said:

Wasaga allows atv on the road. Do atv's require headlights, tail lights and a speedo?

my neighbor was pulled over for speeding last weekend by opp, who had the atv club prez with him. (They were coming back from enforcing laws at Hendrie)  He didn't know exactly his speed (Wasaga 20kmhr max atv) but he said he was putting in second gear, and guesses he was around 20kmhr.    They fined him with 20km over the limit, and issued him the same sort of fine you would get speeding on a sled. The atv club prez told him he has to have lighting and a speedo.  I couldn't find any laws that state that. 

You are required to have your headlights and taillights on at all times while on a roadway.  I will dig deeper into the speedo issue but have not heard anything stating you must have it.  I will get back to you.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:20 PM, StevieWonder said:

My question , which has never been addressed with obvious socio-political ramifications is .

Do you get free coffee and donuts ? 

At the detachment?  I don't drink coffee and don't have a sweet tooth.. so no, I do not get free coffee and/or donuts..  I've heard of some restaurants that offer free or reduced coffee to emergency services works and military...whether or not this extends to donuts I'm not sure...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Thanks guys, 

It's kinda retarded that ebikes have a higher speed limit, and don't require dot helmet or insurance. 

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/030316?_ga=1.190964074.1501812441.1431969770#BK20

Pretty much sums up the basic requirements.  I can not find any mention of speedo anywhere.  Keep in mind also that a given municipality can set even lower speeds (but not higher) through the use of their bylaws.  As for eBikes...ugh, don't get me started.  They are still technically in a pilot project phase and the regulations may be tweaked somewhat in the future.

4 hours ago, odot1 said:

At the detachment?  I don't drink coffee and don't have a sweet tooth.. so no, I do not get free coffee and/or donuts..  I've heard of some restaurants that offer free or reduced coffee to emergency services works and military...whether or not this extends to donuts I'm not sure...

Fair enough lol 

I knew a sergeant for NRP.  I asked him this like 25 years ago..... he said that if any of his officers accepted anything free including snacks, he'd have them charged under the Police Act.  No idea if this is valid or not, but that's what he said. 

25 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I knew a sergeant for NRP.  I asked him this like 25 years ago..... he said that if any of his officers accepted anything free including snacks, he'd have them charged under the Police Act.  No idea if this is valid or not, but that's what he said. 

The general rule is if you can eat it or drink it, its all good.  Lol. 

When I was younger if my car broke down my dad would tow me home behind his truck with a chain. One time I bought an old Triumph Spitfire for parts and we towed it approx. 80 miles with a rope. Question is, is this against the law today. I suspect it is.

The reason I'm asking is because my kids best friend had his car quit in the school parking lot. I was thinking I'd pull it to his house with my car using a 5000lb cargo strap. The distance would only be about four city blocks. This way he can work on it at home. He is dirt poor and I told him not to buy that car but you know kids.

2 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

When I was younger if my car broke down my dad would tow me home behind his truck with a chain. One time I bought an old Triumph Spitfire for parts and we towed it approx. 80 miles with a rope. Question is, is this against the law today. I suspect it is.

The reason I'm asking is because my kids best friend had his car quit in the school parking lot. I was thinking I'd pull it to his house with my car using a 5000lb cargo strap. The distance would only be about four city blocks. This way he can work on it at home. He is dirt poor and I told him not to buy that car but you know kids.

Yes it is illegal.  You require two means of attachment one of which must be a rigid tow bar.  Sadly, those days are gone..

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Technically it is possible.  Many services have polices in place discouraging officers from accepting gifts or other services for free..

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 3:23 PM, odot1 said:

Yes it is illegal.  You require two means of attachment one of which must be a rigid tow bar.  Sadly, those days are gone..

Glad I read this. I wasn't aware of that, thinking it was still legal.

Thanks, Sean. Been on Crowe lake lately? 

• Like 1

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:19 PM, 2strokemerc said:

Just rent a dolly from u haul....easy peasy and legal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, irv said:

Glad I read this. I wasn't aware of that, thinking it was still legal.

Thanks, Sean. Been on Crowe lake lately? 

I was on Crowe lake in June just before Bass opened up...  Wasn't too busy at that point.  Been an odd year on the water.  The days/areas you expect the most boats are quiet...

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Is lane splitting legal in Ontario?

There's no specific lane splitting charge..  But there can be various charges for leaving your lane not in safety.  Or possibly careless charges. Not saying I'd lay the charges..

Odot, if you were on ATV patrol w/ the SAVE team would you say anything to an ADULT UTV operator that was wearing a ball cap under his "beanie" helmet? Looked as bad as kids that wear a hat under the bike helmets. I don't think that is safe. I know guys have complained about having the police check their helmet straps.

I'm not sure what you guys have noticed, but IMO a lot of ATV riders seem to go the bare minimum when it comes to helmets. I've had ATVs since the early 80s & have always worn a MX style helmet & goggles when riding.

A few years ago a friend of mine got stung in the face while riding his motorcycle on a bike trip. Seeing a pic afterwards, he looked like Chuck Wepner after his fight w/ Ali.

• Like 1