Check your account email address ×

Lake Mead update. It’s toast.

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Unknowns on an obscure snowmobile website claim to know more than climatologists.  :lol: 

Lake Mead has been below full capacity since 1983. So due to 50 year drought or increased water demand from increased population and hoover dam having to produce more electricity? 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Lake Mead has been below full capacity since 1983. So due to 50 year drought or increased water demand from increased population and hoover dam having to produce more electricity? 

Without this MAN MADE reservoir, the population would not be sustainable in that desert.  PERIOD. 

It's like expecting New Orleans never to flood when it is below sea level.  Common sense.

Edited by racer254

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Snake said:

Sitting here with my coffee.... lined pants, a robe and the heat pump on for the beautiful 52 degree high...

Pool water is a brisk 64 degrees... MMMM love me some global warming...:lol:

Surprised you would even have a pool in that Artic region....ours is only 76 degrees at this point. Might turn on the pool heater for awhile to warm it up a bit but really don't want to swim in 62 degree weather either....although I always like that feeling when you jump into a pool that is warmer than the air outside.:lol:

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Surprised you would even have a pool in that Artic region....ours is only 76 degrees at this point. Might turn on the pool heater for awhile to warm it up a bit but really don't want to swim in 62 degree weather either....although I always like that feeling when you jump into a pool that is warmer than the air outside.:lol:

I M good when it hits 75 or so. I never used it much... wife and the kids love it. Lots of neices and nephew visits in the summer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snake said:

I M good when it hits 75 or so. I never used it much... wife and the kids love it. Lots of neices and nephew visits in the summer.

Yeah...mostly the grandkids use ours. I grew up with a beautiful pool with my parents but hardly used it.

Could do without it and the maintenance, actually frowned upon the place we ended up buying in Pa. because it had a pool. It was almost a deal breaker.  But it is saltwater and generates it's own chlorine, so requires less maintenance for when we are not their for long periods.

58 minutes ago, Anler said:

You are either assuming that I believe the collapse of Lake Mead is due to climate change or you're trying to offer me a condensed history lesson. If it's the first, your assumption is wrong. If it's the second, it's no required. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You are either assuming that I believe the collapse of Lake Mead is due to climate change or you're trying to offer me a condensed history lesson. If it's the first, your assumption is wrong. If it's the second, it's no required. 

Ok well either way those people are fucked. Also tell me how to reverse climate change please because I don't know. I mean even if we reduce the world's population by half how does that work?

Edited by Anler
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

The drainage basin for the Colorado isn’t the desert.  That is where the problem is this year and many years as climate change takes hold.  Desert moisture contributed absolutely nothing to the Colorado river reservoirs.

west_mtdprecpctnormal_update.png

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Ok well either way those people are fucked. Also tell me how to reverse climate change please because I don't know. I mean even if we reduce the world's population by half how does that work?

I don't have a solution and I don't think climate change will be what causes the most chaos. There's going to be some winners and losers. Areas like Russia will be big winners. As the permafrost continues warm the region stands the chance of being less miserable and easier to inhabit and cultivate. America will face a lot of challenges. The southwest is quickly becoming uninhabitable. In turn there's going to be a population shift. In some respects it's already occurring. That's going to have some real geopolitical consequences for the various states involved. There''s a real possibility that a non-linear change to climate occurs. Elon Musk has discussed this. That would make things real interesting. Overall though, it's going to be about the availability of water and how climate effects this resource. Those are my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I don't have a solution and I don't think climate change will be what causes the most chaos. There's going to be some winners and losers. Areas like Russia will be big winners. As the permafrost continues warm the region stands the chance of being less miserable and easier to inhabit and cultivate. America will face a lot of challenges. The southwest is quickly becoming uninhabitable. In turn there's going to be a population shift. In some respects it's already occurring. That's going to have some real geopolitical consequences for the various states involved. There''s a real possibility that a non-linear change to climate occurs. Elon Musk has discussed this. That would make things real interesting. Overall though, it's going to be about the availability of water and how climate effects this resource. Those are my thoughts. 

Well I would say that is less about climate change as it is consumption due to over population in areas that cannot support it. The desert has always been the desert and the limited water supply was never meant to provide for 10's of millions of people and agriculture and industry. 

Edited by Anler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Adapting...It will be an interesting challenge

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well I would say that is less about climate change as it is consumption due to over population in areas that cannot support it. The desert has always been the desert and the limited water supply was never meant to provide for 10's of millions of people and agriculture and industry. 

It comes down to whether or not a person sees evidence of human behavior having a significant effect on temperatures and resulting weather patterns. I do. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It comes down to whether or not a person sees evidence of human behavior having a significant effect on temperatures and resulting weather patterns. I do. 

In the desert I would say over consumption leads to shortage of local resources. That isn't a belief that is just reality. 

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Same. I haven't been in ours in 2 years. Kids and friends use it all the time tho. Ours is 85 today tho. Was hot as fuck last week

2 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Adapting...It will be an interesting challenge

Adapting, you bet.  The Hoover dam is the perfect example of what humans can do to adapt.  They adapted a place that was desert into a place for humans to live and thrive.

Edited by racer254

8 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Adapting, you bet.  The Hoover dam is the perfect example of what humans can do to adapt.  They adapted a place that was desert into a place for humans to live and thrive.

Yup and will continue to need and find ways to adapt... Hoover dam may be kaput soon....challenging   but I believe Ingenuity will prevail.

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup and will continue to need and find ways to adapt... Hoover dam may be kaput soon....challenging   but I believe Ingenuity will prevail.

We have had multiple infrastructure bills, but all they want to concentrate on over by California is public transportation and wasting money on railroads.  Newsflash, water and electricity is more important.  Just saying.

3 hours ago, Anler said:

In the desert I would say over consumption leads to shortage of local resources. That isn't a belief that is just reality. 

But it feels good to get undeserved virtue for believing a narrative you’re told to believe 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACE said:

But it feels good to get undeserved virtue for believing a narrative you’re told to believe 

I mean holy fuck you can't put tens of millions of people in the desert and expect a river to service that for eternity. Especially with a growing population. That is in fact science. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

I mean holy fuck you can't put tens of millions of people in the desert and expect a river to service that for eternity. Especially with a growing population. That is in fact science. 

Lol it’s so painful 

30 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Didn't they just divert a huge amount of water that would have gone to Lake Mead to the new lake in Las Vegas?

https://lakelasvegas.com/

Yes,I’ve posted it several times and climate religious ones on here keep starting new threads about mead is drying up because of cow farts. 

• Like 4