Check your account email address ×

Dodge Ram or Nissan Titan XD

Sksman

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You will need to have equity exposure for that, although over a period of 7-10 years its takes someone who is truly special to actually lose money in the markets.  Equities have the most tax efficient returns, since capital gains are taxed more favorably, however there is talk of Truedope changing the tax inclusion rate in the upcoming budget.  This of course only applies outside of registered accounts and second properties.

I do all my own research but here are some of what I am doing.

I am a very big fan of Mawer Mutual Funds and have significant holdings with them in both registered and non-registered accounts.  Overall they have one of the lowest risks with highest returns available in the Canadian fund industry and the lowest mer's, however your financial adviser will steer you clear away since they are considered No-Load funds, ie no trailer fee paid to them.

Here is a link to their performance.

http://www.mawer.com/our-funds/performance/

Another big holding of mine is Edgepoint.  I have been a holder of both their Global Ports for some time and last year added both Canadian.  They only have 4 funds, they are all very good.

https://www.edgepointwealth.com/en/InvestmentResults#tab=2

Another is Fidelity Canadian Growth, Special Situations and US Monthly Income.

There are more but I think you should get the point.

As for risk.

If you are a small business corp owner you can get what is called an IPP, or individual pension plan.  It works much like an RRSP where you are free to invest however you like, except the corp must guarantee a return of 7.5% per year as mandated per Ontario Law.  For an owner who has an IPP at 1 million and a portfolio that averages 3% per year, the corp would have to cough up about 45K per year per owner just to keep up.   Good luck trying to get 7.5% with fixed income/GIC's/Bonds etc, so you are forced to expose yourself to risk.  I don't have an IPP but used it to illustrate a point.

Thanks for that.

I just had drinks with one of my customers who recently retired at 52. He owned a jewelry store for 25 years.

He was telling me how he started looking at what it costs to have some one do his investing and he pulled it all out and started investing the money himself through Scotia Banks APP. He treats it like a part time job that he does every day. Says he makes good money buying and selling stocks, mostly blue chip. He has some Mutual funds as well.

He said its not tough, it just takes time. Look at the history of a stock. Most will rise and fall during a year. Try to buy when its low and sell when its high based on the history.

Its not something I have time for right now but its interesting. I'm like the rest of the sheep. Buy RRSP's through a investment guy (my stuff is at Sunlife now). As long as I don't lose money I don't look at it.

I have a hard time with the whole RRSP thing. I'm thinking I may buy an investment property and hope the market continues to climb.

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for that.

I just had drinks with one of my customers who recently retired at 52. He owned a jewelry store for 25 years.

He was telling me how he started looking at what it costs to have some one do his investing and he pulled it all out and started investing the money himself through Scotia Banks APP. He treats it like a part time job that he does every day. Says he makes good money buying and selling stocks, mostly blue chip. He has some Mutual funds as well.

He said its not tough, it just takes time. Look at the history of a stock. Most will rise and fall during a year. Try to buy when its low and sell when its high based on the history.

Its not something I have time for right now but its interesting. I'm like the rest of the sheep. Buy RRSP's through a investment guy (my stuff is at Sunlife now). As long as I don't lose money I don't look at it.

I have a hard time with the whole RRSP thing. I'm thinking I may buy an investment property and hope the market continues to climb.

I am like you, I hardly give it any thought at all. My wife is up on it a lot more than I am so most/all my faith is in her to do the things that need doing.

I am planning on retiring within a year, or 2 at most, so I should get my act together and learn a thing or 2 before I do. I plan on leaving my money in the fund as my wife doesn't have a pension, but quite a few pull their's and let their financial advisers/brokers try and earn them 10% a year.

I want to retain my benefits but if you pull your pension, then everything, including the bennies are gone for good.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for that.

Your friend is correct, its not hard, but you do need to stay on top of things.  That is why I stick to mutual funds and I really do not look at fees so long as I am averaging over 10% net of fees.  I don't have the time or patience to view the stock market everyday and I certainly do not care for any advice that comes from a recommended list.  I have a cousin who sell computers out of his basement and does quite well in the markets.  He basically uses momentum looking at the 7 day and 20 day moving averages and the history of when to trigger buy and sells and has developed his own scheme.  Does not work all the time.   Now he has stock tickers running across his computer screen all day long. He puts aside about 50K and doubles that by the end of the year and I am sure its more than what he makes selling computers.  Although, we just purchased 11 (6 servers and 5 pc's) computers from him.:lol:

ON the bold, its OK to lose money one year, in fact quality equity funds that occasionally lose money will put you much farther ahead than one that never does.

Its good to be diversified with real estate, but properties can be a pain in the ass.  

Edited by ArcticCrusher

46 minutes ago, irv said:

I am like you, I hardly give it any thought at all. My wife is up on it a lot more than I am so most/all my faith is in her to do the things that need doing.

I am planning on retiring within a year, or 2 at most, so I should get my act together and learn a thing or 2 before I do. I plan on leaving my money in the fund as my wife doesn't have a pension, but quite a few pull their's and let their financial advisers/brokers try and earn them 10% a year.

I want to retain my benefits but if you pull your pension, then everything, including the bennies are gone for good.

95% of them can't do that.

29 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

95% of them can't do that.

You mean, earn them 10%? I know that is the magic number everyone wants to reach but some don't all the time I hear? I guess, like the markets, there are good and bad years but most, from what I hear, who have pulled their money, are happy they did.

I have/am thinking about it myself but I want to retain my bennies as I mentioned. I have no idea what those that pulled their pensions pay, but I have heard it is not that expensive? 

The future is a scary thing and as I get closer to retirement I'm thinking about it far too often. I'm hoping we've got our plan right or its going to be bleak. I might have to apply myself and get a part time job 

28 minutes ago, irv said:

You mean, earn them 10%? I know that is the magic number everyone wants to reach but some don't all the time I hear? I guess, like the markets, there are good and bad years but most, from what I hear, who have pulled their money, are happy they did.

I have/am thinking about it myself but I want to retain my bennies as I mentioned. I have no idea what those that pulled their pensions pay, but I have heard it is not that expensive? 

Yup, most advisers can't get close to that, they think you should be happy with 3-4%.:flush:

Out of say seven years, you can expect to have one down year.

Not sure I would recommend pulling pension out, we also have the wife's pension and an RRSP to top it up come retirement time for her.  Would it have been better to scrap her teachers pension from the getgo and put it into an RRSP, sure, but that matters not now.

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yup, most advisers can't get close to that, they think you should be happy with 3-4%.:flush:

Out of say seven years, you can expect to have one down year.

Not sure I would recommend pulling pension out, we also have the wife's pension and an RRSP to top it up come retirement time for her.  Would it have been better to scrap her teachers pension from the getgo and put it into an RRSP, sure, but that matters not now.

Scrap her teachers pension?

Pull out of the hydro pension plan?

Come on now be serious!  Most guys on here would die to have a defined benefit pension plan.

Why would you pull "your" money which 80% is contributions of the taxpayers over what you paid?

On 3/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, Sksman said:

Scrap her teachers pension?

Pull out of the hydro pension plan?

Come on now be serious!  Most guys on here would die to have a defined benefit pension plan.

Why would you pull "your" money which 80% is contributions of the taxpayers over what you paid?

Like I said, the point is moot now.   I never wanted one and luckily did not have one for long, and we asked if we could have opted out of the teachers and were denied.   You do understand that with an RRSP when you contribute 20K and you are at a high income, you get half that back, so employer matching becomes irrelevant.  Where do you get the 80% contribution rate from?  Last I looked its about 60/40% employee to employer for the wife.  

https://www.otpp.com/news/article/-/article/698669

You wanted to opt out of this?

For real?

21 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Like I said, the point is moot now.   I never wanted one and luckily did not have one for long, and we asked if we could have opted out of the teachers and were denied.   You do understand that with an RRSP when you contribute 20K and you are at a high income, you get half that back, so employer matching becomes irrelevant.  Where do you get the 80% contribution rate from?  Last I looked its about 60/40% employee to employer for the wife.  

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

https://www.otpp.com/news/article/-/article/698669

You wanted to opt out of this?

For real?

For real, I will come pretty close to doubling her pension with the limited registered investments she has.  

The issue with most is they believe a bird in the hand is worth more than two, three or four in the bush?   

No going back, but now I consider it to be the fixed income portfolio and the rest equity.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

For real, I will come pretty close to doubling her pension with the limited registered investments she has.  

The issue with most is they believe a bird in the hand is worth more than two, three or four in the bush?   

No going back, but now I consider it to be the fixed income portfolio and the rest equity.

Her personal contributions to her pension is only 12% of her RSP limit per year.   She could still contribute 6% more upto the max limit.  

So if you contributed only 12% of your income to a pension fund you think you would have out preformed $ for $ what her pension will pay her?

8 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Her personal contributions to her pension is only 12% of her RSP limit per year.   She could still contribute 6% more upto the max limit.  

So if you contributed only 12% of your income to a pension fund you think you would have out preformed $ for $ what her pension will pay her?

Her PA (pension adjustment) does not allow her to put more in since that encompasses her employer's contribution as well.  You do understand that when contribute to an RRSP, you lower your salary and pay taxes based on your lower salary.  At the highest tax rate in Ontario for a 10K contribution you get back 5.4K.  Why would I only have 12% when the limit is 18% up to 25K.  So a 20K contribution would only cost you approx 10K

Her plan will give her about 55K per year in 15 years when she retires, then it blends in with CPP.  Not really hard to beat.

Have you ever looked at what you would have if you took your CPP employee and employer contributions at even a meager 5% return and figured out what you would have?  That plan is the biggest rippoff going.

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Her PA (pension adjustment) does not allow her to put more in since that encompasses her employer's contribution as well.  You do understand that when contribute to an RRSP, you lower your salary and pay taxes based on your lower salary.  At the highest tax rate in Ontario for a 10K contribution you get back 5.4K.  Why would I only have 12% when the limit is 18% up to 25K.  So a 20K contribution would only cost you approx 10K

Her plan will give her about 55K per year in 15 years when she retires, then it blends in with CPP.  Not really hard to beat.

Have you ever looked at what you would have if you took your CPP employee and employer contributions at even a meager 5% return and figured out what you would have?  That plan is the biggest rippoff going.

Then why do the teachers unions keep fighting for it?

They must all be stupid??

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Then why do the teachers unions keep fighting for it?

They must all be stupid??

What is their alternative?  For starters they would have to understand how an RRSP works and they would likely let some dumb fuck manage it for a pathetic 3% ROI so they are better off with what they have.  Most are stupid, have you ever had conversations with them?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What is their alternative?  For starters they would have to understand how an RRSP works and they would likely let some dumb fuck manage it for a pathetic 3% ROI so they are better off with what they have.  Most are stupid, have you ever had conversations with them?

Sure have... three of the people my wife has been friends with since they were about six years old are teachers. They all married teachers. None of them have ever been outside of the education system. They went to school, university / teachers college and then back into the system as teachers. Of the six teachers, two of them are somewhat in tune with the rest of the world. Each summer one of her friends has a BBQ as soon as school is out. I dread going since it's about 85% teachers who are all saying how hard they have had it over the past year and how they need the summer off to recover. They even complain about the inability to take a winter vacation except during March break when the prices are the highest.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lol.  Yes i have had many conversations with teachers.  Some are very smart in things,  others are lets just say not so informed on things.

36 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Lol.  Yes i have had many conversations with teachers.  Some are very smart in things,  others are lets just say not so informed on things.

Well, my wife is pretty smart but does not know the first thing about investing.  

Food for thought, if you took your CPP contribution ($4500) per year and invested it at an 8% ROI for 30 years, how much do you think you would have?  Over $510K.  How much do you think the CV of a typical teachers pension is come retirement?  About the same.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Sure have... three of the people my wife has been friends with since they were about six years old are teachers. They all married teachers. None of them have ever been outside of the education system. They went to school, university / teachers college and then back into the system as teachers. Of the six teachers, two of them are somewhat in tune with the rest of the world. Each summer one of her friends has a BBQ as soon as school is out. I dread going since it's about 85% teachers who are all saying how hard they have had it over the past year and how they need the summer off to recover. They even complain about the inability to take a winter vacation except during March break when the prices are the highest.

LOL, dont forget they will talk down to you as if you are one of their students, they are condescending, they think they have it hard... don't swear or touch any of the kids and you have a job and a pension for life. they are sheltered to the rest of the world. they think they are gods...educating the masses. my ex wife was a teacher. funny how lots of teachers are in multi level marketing scams

Edited by Taillight

27 minutes ago, Taillight said:

LOL, dont forget they will talk down to you as if you are one of their students, they are condescending, they think they have it hard... don't swear or touch any of the kids and you have a job and a pension for life. they are sheltered to the rest of the world. they think they are gods...educating the masses. my ex wife was a teacher

I will start with a lot of teachers are very nice people. In fact those that are my wife's friends are all nice people. One of the key things I have always had a hard time with is the tendency for most of the teachers I have met taking every opportunity to tell everyone who isn't a teacher how tough they have it. When I ask what the school day is like and how many hours they spend teaching they try to make it sound horrendous. My wife's closest friend who teaches I think it's grade 6 in Toronto tells us how they have to be ready at 8:30 and morning classes start at 8:50 they teach 1 hr. 20 min. then recess for 15 min. Another 1 hr. 20 min. then it's time for lunch for 30 min. So far they've put in 2 hr. 40 min. After lunch 1 hr. 20 min. and another recess for 15 min. followed by 1 hr. 10 min. of class time and the day is over. That's 2 hr. 30 min in the afternoon so they actually spend 5 hr. 10 min. teaching out of the day. They get in just before 8:30 and are out the door no later than 4:00 typically. About 7 1/2 hours actually in the school.

They have a good deal. Especially with all the time off. I don't really have a problem with them having a good deal I just wish they would admit it and stop crying about how hard they have it.

Edited by 02sled

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

LOL, dont forget they will talk down to you as if you are one of their students, they are condescending, they think they have it hard... don't swear or touch any of the kids and you have a job and a pension for life. they are sheltered to the rest of the world. they think they are gods...educating the masses. my ex wife was a teacher. funny how lots of teachers are in multi level marketing scams

Not surprised at all.  I actually feel sorry for contractors who do work for teachers.  "Don't you know, those are gold nuggets I'm paying you with."

46 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I will start with a lot of teachers are very nice people. In fact those that are my wife's friends are all nice people. One of the key things I have always had a hard time with is the tendency for most of the teachers I have met taking every opportunity to tell everyone who isn't a teacher how tough they have it. When I ask what the school day is like and how many hours they spend teaching they try to make it sound horrendous. My wife's closest friend who teaches I think it's grade 6 in Toronto tells us how they have to be ready at 8:30 and morning classes start at 8:50 they teach 1 hr. 20 min. then recess for 15 min. Another 1 hr. 20 min. then it's time for lunch for 30 min. So far they've put in 2 hr. 40 min. After lunch 1 hr. 20 min. and another recess for 15 min. followed by 1 hr. 10 min. of class time and the day is over. That's 2 hr. 30 min in the afternoon so they actually spend 5 hr. 10 min. teaching out of the day. They get in just before 8:30 and are out the door no later than 4:00 typically. About 7 1/2 hours actually in the school.

They have a good deal. Especially with all the time off. I don't really have a problem with them having a good deal I just wish they would admit it and stop crying about how hard they have it.

Mine is not a teacher, but rather an administrator.  She leaves the house at about 6:30am every morning to get to the school for approx 7:10am and does not usually get home til 6:00 pm.  Of course it does not end there, and tonight its much later.  Most teacher's would die if they actually had to work that schedule, don't even get me started.

Only 250km on it so far.  

3m protection applied today.  With Metalic grey cannot even tell its there.

Heading to USA for a little road trip this weekend and will see how it does on mpg.