Check your account email address ×

New record

Back then they had to produce a certain amount available to the public in order to be able to race in Nascar, now all Nascar's race cars must be identical shapes/sizes.

I know where there's 1 of those sitting in a shed for years & years in Racine co. Wisconsin.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Crazy amount of money and to think dealers were basically giving these away back then.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1969-dodge-daytona-426-hemi-four-speed-mecum-auctions/amp/

53 year old car.....absolutely beautiful

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toslow said:

Only to idiots that don’t have a clue 

I much prefer a standard Road Runner or Charger...I understand the importance of the Daytona and Super bee's but the wing and nose cone are ugly IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anler said:

Those cars are ugly as fuck

I hate the wing and nose cone. Not much of a mopar guy but my bud used to have 71 Hemi Challenger 4 spd in plum crazy purple. Was a nice car. I like the Fords and Chevys from that era much more.

6 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Back then they had to produce a certain amount available to the public in order to be able to race in Nascar, now all Nascar's race cars must be identical shapes/sizes.

I know where there's 1 of those sitting in a shed for years & years in Racine co. Wisconsin.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
56 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I much prefer a standard Road Runner or Charger...I understand the importance of the Daytona and Super bee's but the wing and nose cone are ugly IMO

X2

38 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

503 Daytona’s and 1920 Superbird’s are the numbers I seen. 

1 hour ago, HSR said:

I hate the wing and nose cone. Not much of a mopar guy but my bud used to have 71 Hemi Challenger 4 spd in plum crazy purple. Was a nice car. I like the Fords and Chevys from that era much more.

A guy I grew up with had a road runner with a 6 pack sticking out the hood. He was also the biggest weed dealer in my neighborhood lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Yep, 69 roadrunner was a sweet ride.

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

X2

503 Daytona’s and 1920 Superbird’s are the numbers I seen. 

Maybe so, but you had to have at least 500 available to buy.

11 hours ago, Anler said:

Those cars are ugly as fuck

True.

But these cars weren't built to look good. They were the first steps towards using aerodynamics to win races in Nascar and they were a game changer. They were the first to cross the 200mph mark.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

I've wanted one since the 90's and the articles in Muscle Car Review. They predicted back then that they would become one of the greatest collector muscle cars.

Limted numbers, big HP, racing pedigree. They have it all for an American built classic.

I prefer the Superbird to the Daytona just for the graphics and the fact that Richard Petty left Ford and came back to Plymouth to drive a Superbird. Many claim this was a major reason why they were built.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I wouldn’t pay anything for that car if I actually had to keep it 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The design was historic. NASCAR was a win on Sunday for the manufacturers and they were heavily invested in racing. The ultimate marketing tool.

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

True.

But these cars weren't built to look good. They were the first steps towards using aerodynamics to win races in Nascar and they were a game changer. They were the first to cross the 200mph mark.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

I've wanted one since the 90's and the articles in Muscle Car Review. They predicted back then that they would become one of the greatest collector muscle cars.

Limted numbers, big HP, racing pedigree. They have it all for an American built classic.

I prefer the Superbird to the Daytona just for the graphics and the fact that Richard Petty left Ford and came back to Plymouth to drive a Superbird. Many claim this was a major reason why they were built.

I understand it's significance in racing. Also the introduction of hemispherical heads was a game changer. I have just always thought that car is ugly. 

20 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Love to take it for spin around Daytona!!!

I’d much prefer and feel much safer in a modern car of equal value to do that.