U.S. Diesel Futures Close at Record High as Shortage Deepens

U.S. Diesel Futures Close at Record High as Shortage Deepens

• New York Harbor stockpiles are at their lowest since 1996
  • U.S. fuelmakers are raising production while exporting more
April 26, 2022, 2:10 PM CDTUpdated onApril 26, 2022, 2:47 PM CDT

Share this article

Follow the authors

+ Get alerts forChunzi Xu

Diesel futures trading in New York surged to the highest level in records going back to 1986 as global demand for the fuel remains robust in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. 

Nymex ultra-low sulfur diesel futures settled at $4.4679 a gallon on Tuesday, exceeding the prior record on March 8, when the U.S. formally sanctioned Russian oil. Since then, diesel has become the world’s most in-demand fuel as buyers in Latin America, Europe and within the U.S. compete for supplies as fast as refiners on the U.S. Gulf Coast can make them. 

Record futures also shifted the prompt month spread into the widest backwardation on record, at 65.06 cents per gallon. The bullish structure indicates the relative strength in immediate deliveries against next-month prices. The May contract expires on Friday.

New York diesel futures settle at a record high as stockpiles drain

Massive exports and strong domestic consumption are helping to drain distillate stockpiles in the U.S., which have fallen to the lowest level since 2008. The shortage is most acute on the East Coast, where inventories have dropped to the lowest level since 1996. Fuelmakers on the Gulf Coast have been operating at their highest rates for this time of year in more than a decade and are still unable to rebuild stockpiles. Rising shipments to Latin America and Europe have left the main fuel pipeline supplying the East Coast underused.

Shifting trading patterns also contributed to spiking prices. Liquidity has fallen in recent months in futures and physical markets, exacerbating volatility in both. While futures traders exited hedges, physical traders ditched storage tanks as holding onto products became a losing proposition, leaving a thinner cushion for supply crunches and price swings.

(Updates with record backwardation in third paragraph)

Up Next

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

55 gallon tank. 

Oh dang, I didn't know with a 55 gallon tank you didn't have to purchase gas anymore.. What a great idea!!!

SMH, what a fucking moron...

Yesterday am Nashua NH Diesel was $4.59

Went thru Chelmsford MA and saw it for $4.99 , thought maybe I should turn around and top off". Nah., Ill find it the same price later "

Filled up at end of day $5.99 well fuck me.

Going thru downtown Nashua last night $6.79

• Sad 2

On 4/16/2022 at 10:57 PM, spin_dry said:

A collapse of the price of oil is weeks away. Played this horse and pony show before. Last time this kind of fuckery went on oil pricing dropped to zero. 

Well it's been a few weeks and It seems to just be going up??  

:news:

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Oh dang, I didn't know with a 55 gallon tank you didn't have to purchase gas anymore.. What a great idea!!!

SMH, what a fucking moron...

You have a very hard time with deductive reasoning-so allow me to explain. I gas up where fuel is cheaper. That gives a 900 mile range (not counting the 8 gallons of Rotopax) before having to fuel up again, which has me back into an area where fuel is into the mid $3/gal range. Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of this place. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You have a very hard time with deductive reasoning-so allow me to explain. I gas up where fuel is cheaper. That gives a 900 mile range (not counting the 8 gallons of Rotopax) before having to fuel up again, which has me back into an area where fuel is into the mid $3/gal range. Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of this place. 

So you're getting 16.36mpg (not counting the 8 gal rotopax..:lol:) in the bug out vehicle per your own admission.. Explain how what you get for mpg effects your price per gallon at the pump?? Looking forward to hearing your thought process on this..:lol:

And FYI, I buy 93 octane at wholesale club already discounted, then additional discounts for in club purchases and I can actually prove it rather than just type a few lines of BS..

Screenshot_20220430-081426.png

6 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

From $5.65 yesterday morning to $6.19 this morning. Glad I got rid of my diesel truck years ago.

Saw anywhere from $6.38/gal to $6.79/gal today in my travels,. get ready for food to skyrocket next week..:wtf:

• USA Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

So you're getting 16.36mpg (not counting the 8 gal rotopax..:lol:) in the bug out vehicle per your own admission.. Explain how what you get for mpg effects your price per gallon at the pump?? Looking forward to hearing your thought process on this..:lol:

And FYI, I buy 93 octane at wholesale club already discounted, then additional discounts for in club purchases and I can actually prove it rather than just type a few lines of BS..

Screenshot_20220430-081426.png

One hundred bucks a week on groceries and their credit card gets you another dime. I play the game as well. 

1 minute ago, $poorsledder$ said:

One hundred bucks a week on groceries and their credit card gets you another dime. I play the game as well. 

Um it's .50 off per gallon, when you roll in and get 75 gallons is quite the savings..

• USA Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Um it's .50 off per gallon, when you roll in and get 75 gallons is quite the savings..

Yes, .50 per gallon. If you use their Visa card it’s another..10 a gallon. I’m only buying 11-13 gallons but it helps. Connecticut removed the state tax on it so I’m saving that as well. 

Sam's has been 30-50 cents cheaper than other stations for gasoline.  I try to stop on my way to and from up north if they are still open when I go through.  Been filling up my car once a week on my commute to work too. 

It really adds up when I buy all my gas there.