Check your account email address ×

SPEND 24 HOURS WITH A POW IN THE "HANOI HILTON"

I was not happy that McCain chose Palin, but the vitriol that this man has had heaped on him by Trump and his supporters is terrible.

God Bless John McCain.

SPEND 24 HOURS WITH A POW IN THE "HANOI HILTON"

BY KEN CORDIER, USAF
POW 1966-1973

The day began at 5:00AM, when a guard would sound the “gong” – not a round brass gong hit with a leather mallet, but a spent 85mm shell casing hung from a tree which he would beat upon with a wrench. At this signal, we were to get up and fold our mosquito net (the one humane thing they did for us, as there were swarms of mosquitoes in the cells). We were then to wait in silence for the Voice of Vietnam(VoV), which came on at 6:00AM. Silence, because it was forbidden to speak, even to your cell mate, if you had one. We were only allowed to whisper – no singing or whistling.

The VoV was a 30 minute propaganda broadcast beamed to the GI’s in S. Vietnam. We seldom got any reliable news from “Hanoi Hannah” – the English speaking Vietnamese woman who read the script – because it was all distortions and outright lies. The only saving grace was that they would play two currently popular US songs at the end. They thought this would entice the G.I.s to listen ‘til the end. It was lucky for us that the camp officers never thought to turn the radio off before the music, as it was the only morale boost we ever got.

After the VoV, we waited for the morning meal, which consisted of a small bowl of crudely milled brown rice and a bowl of soup – not Campbell’s – but watery boiled vegetables with no meat or seasoning. In Summer it was greens, Fall was squash and Winter was cabbage. After 6 months of this diet, most of us looked like the POW depicted in the attached sketch. At some point in the day we were supposed to get out for 10 minutes to bathe and wash our clothes with the muddy water we would draw from a seepage well. In practice we got out 2 – 4 times per week, depending on the mood of the guards who preferred to lounge around with their buddies and BS and smoke cigarettes.

At noon, they rang the gong and we were permitted to take siesta for 2 hours. This seemed like a good deal, but most of the guards took a nap so security was light during that time. We took advantage of this and did most of our communicating during the quiet hour. Since we were forbidden to speak, we communicated by tapping code on the walls. Slow, but effective. We developed many short hand codes, much like young people do in present day text-messaging, and were able to accomplish a wide range of info dissemination.

At 2:00PM they rang the gong to signal the end of siesta and we waited for the evening meal, which was a repeat of the morning meal. We had no cards, chess or checker sets to while away the hours, no books except for a rare appearance of some propaganda, certainly no access to a bible, and we were never allowed pen and paper, except when we were tortured to sign a war crimes confession. When asked about these items, the interrogator’s stock answer was: we should think about our crimes and what we could do to work to end the war (code for give them propaganda).

At 8:00PM we heard the repeat broadcast of the VoV, and at 9:00PM they beat the gong to signal time to tie up our mosquito nets and go to sleep so we could get up at 5:00AM and do it all over again.

My friend and cellmate, Mike McGrath, did a great job of describing our treatment illustrated by his very graphic sketches. Following is a verbal sketch of a typical cell. I like to characterize the cells by the five “Bs”:

1. A “deluxe” two-man cell was 7ft x 9 ft., with wooden Boards arranged in an “L” shape for sleeping. The bad cells had no boards and prisoners had to sleep on the concrete floor.

2. A bare light Bulb hung from the ceiling was on 24/7. This is because the rooms were dark due to…

3. The Bricks. The windows were bricked up so we couldn’t see out. It was strictly forbidden to see other prisoners. This created a severe ventilation problem, but that was OK, as we were being punished for our war crimes.

4. Every cell had a loudspeaker Box, for our daily ration of propaganda from the VoV and locally produced “instruction” read by the interrogators.

5. You can probably guess the 5th “B” – the rusty Bucket which served as our toilet. We were allowed out once a day to empty it.

There you have it – a day in the life of a Vietnam POW.

We lived in these conditions for years – for some longer than WWII. We never gave up hope, and we never lost our faith in God and Country. This is the crucible in which John McCain, like the rest of us, was tested. When you vote, please think about the strength of character demanded of our Commander in Chief and who is most likely to deliver.

http://www.valorstudios.com/McCain/cordier.htm

I have great respect for what he had endured , how he endured it and his great service to out country .  I also agree with not all , but a lot of his positions on policy that he has taken in the past .  But make no mistake , the man is a delusional war monger .   And the only reason that you and the the other liberal hacks are suddenly doing a 180 on him and putting him on a pedestal is because he is at odds with and a target for your new President .     

Edited by Sal Rosenberg
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I have great respect for what he had endured , how he endured it and his great service to out country .  I also agree with not all , but a lot of his positions on policy that he has taken in the past .  But make no mistake , the man is a delusional war monger .   And the only reason that you and the the other liberal hacks are suddenly doing a 180 on him and putting him on a pedestal is because he is at odds with and a target for your new President .     

Ballsack :owned: by wpid-5fb24efe-5e04-4123-ae3e-2dfa3b0869d

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I didn't want McCain to be President but Trump hasn't earned the right to criticize McCain's service record and for doing so, he's a piece of shit.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

I didn't want McCain to be President but Trump hasn't earned the right to criticize McCain's service record and for doing so, he's a piece of shit.

But criticizing him when he was running against Obama was accepted and even making fun of him for not being able to lift his arms up was made fun of by the left. Now the left does a 180 and puts him up on a pedestal because of something Trump said :wtf:

14 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I voted for Trump but criticizing McCains service is fucked up no matter how you try and spin it.

Zackly. I don't like McCain either, but this is BS. These prison camps killed a lot of the weak ones. The ones that came back should have our respect.

28 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I voted for Trump but criticizing McCains service is fucked up no matter how you try and spin it.

Agreed...but the two faced hypocrites on the left are shinning bright

37 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

But criticizing him when he was running against Obama was accepted and even making fun of him for not being able to lift his arms up was made fun of by the left. Now the left does a 180 and puts him up on a pedestal because of something Trump said :wtf:

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Agreed...but the two faced hypocrites on the left are shinning bright

Bingo. 

9 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I supported McCain in 2000 and 2008, when Palin came into full bloom as a mental midget is when he lost my support. Nonetheless I have always admired McCain for his service and his brass balls, he is a true 20th Century man when it comes to courage and strength.

This is probably the last time we will ever see any American politician much less a United States Senator walking in harms way to promote American exceptionalism.

McCainBenghaziCourtHouse.jpg

9 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I was not happy that McCain chose Palin, but the vitriol that this man has had heaped on him by Trump and his supporters is terrible.

God Bless John McCain.

I missed the "heaps" of vitriol.

Could you give the top ten?

#1 mocked MCCain for getting caught.

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Oh come on, making fun of disabled people is hilarious and totally fair game, remember?  

9 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

spot  on

8 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

Read Rosensteins comments again, because they're spot on

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It wont be long before every American wants to punch Trump in the mouth even the ones who voted for him.

Being a total asshole is never in style

oh stfu already....someone oughta punch you in the mouth

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Oh come on, making fun of disabled people is hilarious and totally fair game, remember?

If you say so, but I don't agree and it was happening to McCain when he ran so I see how you can feel this way

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

If you say so, but I don't agree and it was happening to McCain when he ran so I see how you can feel this way

I can link video of Trump making fun of a disabled person during this election.  Maybe you can link me to a video or report of Obama or Clinton making fun of McCain's disabilities?

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

I can link video of Trump making fun of a disabled person during this election.  Maybe you can link me to a video or report of Obama or Clinton making fun of McCain's disabilities?

Trump is just a huge orange piece of shit

11 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Have I ever ran deflection for Trump on anything let alone that BS? Nice try but the left was putting McCain through the ringer from his POW time....making fun of him etc. You still think I'm a Trump voter   :lol:

11 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Have I ever ran deflection for Trump on anything let alone that BS? Nice try but the left was putting McCain through the ringer from his POW time....making fun of him etc. You still think I'm a Trump voter   :lol:

I only remember Democrats questioning his Palin choice. Never his military service as thats what republicans did to Kerry with their swiftboater bullshit

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I only remember Democrats questioning his Palin choice. Never his military service as thats what republicans did to Kerry with their swiftboater bullshit

Exactly.  There might have been some fringe whackos attacking his military service or whatever, but nobody mainstream and certainly not Obama or anyone of any significance.

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Some were making fun of him being disabled I seem to recall