Check your account email address ×

Rural America shrinks over decade for first time

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Bull shit in the last 2 yrs you can't even find a rural home for sale . Use to be you could move to a rural town not on a lake for 30k all day in mn . Not even 4 yrs ago . Today 130 min if you can find one . Only a idiot wants to be close to a city any more . Edpecaly now that covid showed the world they don't need  cubicles to work .add the fact that only shit bag bangers and Uber liberal cunts are left in the city snd cops wont come when called for good reason there is zero reason to stay. 

9 minutes ago, hayward said:

Well they didn't stay in urban areas east of here.  They've totally fucked up our rural setting  and made it un-affordable to buy anything here and pay the school taxes on it.

I wouldn't know. :lol: 

• Gold Member

lot of kids I went to school with ended up moving to big cities or suburb areas so I can see that being true.

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

NH housing prices have soared as people left their shitty high tax congested states during covid....

It’s great isn’t it we’ll at least if you’re a home owner. We built in the late summer of 2020 and our house has gone up 45-55% according to the Zillow estimate craziness.

The great reset.  The liberals want everyone concentrated in the cities and to rely on public transportation.  Rural people are multiple times less reliant on government, and the elite liberals do not want independence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

If you read the title or article it says over the last decade 2010-2020. I'm guessing 2021 is when a lot of the new "rural residents" officially moved in.  :dunno:

i would think the actual number of rural residents is not all that different,  while some of those with estalished jobs moved to rural areas when Covid allowed as they can work remote the drain of the younger ages to more populated areas with better opportunity still continued.  And many of those that bought in rural areas kept their homes in the cities and will end up back there once things return to normal because they are truly not built for rural life IMO.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Bull shit in the last 2 yrs you can't even find a rural home for sale . Use to be you could move to a rural town not on a lake for 30k all day in mn . Not even 4 yrs ago . Today 130 min if you can find one . Only a idiot wants to be close to a city any more . Edpecaly now that covid showed the world they don't need  cubicles to work .add the fact that only shit bag bangers and Uber liberal cunts are left in the city snd cops wont come when called for good reason there is zero reason to stay. 

Look at all the green around Minneapolis, St Paul, and St Cloud.  We were ahead of the curve and got out back in 2013.  Got a few acres, newer house, and a big shop for a very reasonable price.  Even back then it took a year of looking to find what we wanted.  Nowadays you get a small older house for $500k on a few acres.  Houses in town for an average home are over $250k.

Good schools and run fiber to all the houses and watch the people flee the big cities.

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i would think the actual number of rural residents is not all that different,  while some of those with estalished jobs moved to rural areas when Covid allowed as they can work remote the drain of the younger ages to more populated areas with better opportunity still continued.  And many of those that bought in rural areas kept their homes in the cities and will end up back there once things return to normal because they are truly not built for rural life IMO.   

I hope you are correct.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Not a chance.  They are gone for good.

Rural living isn't for everyone. It's usually a bigger adjustment for the women as their shopping options can be slim in rural areas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Rural living isn't for everyone. It's usually a bigger adjustment for the women as their shopping options can be slim in rural areas.

My wife orders from Amazon and the couriers know her by name lol. We drive almost an hour every 3-4 weeks and she does a shopping day to various stores that aren't around here

• Like 1

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, ckf said:

That doesn’t even matter anymore with online everything. I mean shit it hasn’t slowed my wife down any 😂.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

This isn't the 1980s, everyone orders stuff online now.  Malls and retail, even in the big cities, are dying.  Places like Walmart, Target, Fleetfarm, Menards, Home Depot, etc. are in almost every major outstate city here in Minnesota.

My wife likes shoes.  Every few months a pile of shoe boxes show up on our doorstep.  If they don't work she sends them back with a prepaid shipping label.  The tough part is we only have a post office and drop boxes for FedEx and UPS.

i would never live more than 15-20 minutes from everything i want or need on a daily basis.  end of the day being where there are restauratns shopping,  activities not involving the outdoors is more important for many.  I could never have lived at my camp year round,   nice weekends there was no place better.  

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i would never live more than 15-20 minutes from everything i want or need on a daily basis.  end of the day being where there are restauratns shopping,  activities not involving the outdoors is more important for many.  I could never have lived at my camp year round,   nice weekends there was no place better.  

We are in a quiet little subdivision that most people don't even know it exists. We are 10 min to a grocery, liquor/beer store, smokeshop, fish n chip joint, post office and Chinese restaurant. If we need anything else were 20-30 min away from 3-4 towns and never any traffic. It's not for everyone but we love it.

• Like 1

you guys are missing something here.  There comes a point when you get so many people moved into a rural area, that it becomes non-rural anymore.  These fucking people that moved into here have brought their city with them, including strip malls, politics, high taxes, high crime, and they're too stupid to realize it.  Many that moved here 20+ years ago are always "that's why we moved out here, to get away from all that!".  Well no shit?  Sucks doesn't it? :flush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hayward said:

you guys are missing something here.  There comes a point when you get so many people moved into a rural area, that it becomes non-rural anymore.  These fucking people that moved into here have brought their city with them, including strip malls, politics, high taxes, high crime, and they're too stupid to realize it.  Many that moved here 20+ years ago are always "that's why we moved out here, to get away from all that!".  Well no shit?  Sucks doesn't it? :flush:

I hear Montana, Wyoming, and Utah are nice.