Check your account email address ×

Thanks again Boomers

11 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Fuck they come into the pulp mill, phone in hand, useless.

Think they're going to walk right into a position like the guy that's been there 25 years 🤦.

Company already fired a few before they got in the union. Union guys didn't complain one bit! 

Company I retired from called in all the new hires and the shop steward to inform them no more phones or headsets. You are not allowed to use them in construction. Guess they let a few go already over that this season, more worried about that phone than the work they are getting paid to do. 

They also didn't understand the company can that three looks at you 30-60 and 90 days before deciding to keep you or cut you loose so you want to show up and learn the job instead of updating you shit on facebook.

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

Personally I dont think anything is wrong if people stay together with their kids as a family unit to a point...I would allow my kids to stay if they had a game plan..Just because they live at home doesnt mean they cannot work or learn to pay for their own bills. My Dad charged me rent at 19 but I had the whole finished basement. It worked until i saved up enough to get an Apartment..if anything made me want to get out since paying to live with Him wasnt so satisfying. 

How about grandparents raising their grandchildren because their own children suck at being parents?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

LMAO 57 and I'm out !! Along with 7 more to follow by March. Now with the following generations being lazy expect this to get worse, far worse. The company I was working for went and tossed big money at the crew during the last contract and still these kids will not work, they were taught not to work hard in school by their lazy parents and teachers.

My generation was smart enough to make plans when we started to see the retirement age getting pushed further out and now that we can tap out we might as well. When you have so called kids in their late 20's and early 30's still unemployed or underemployed it makes you wonder how can they ever think about retirement with all that debt with a gender studies degree LOL.

older gen x younger boomers(50-60 yer olds) overall made terrible choices regarding retirement unless they were lucky enough to be pension eligible.  IMO many who retired through this covid thing are going to find out when the market drops that they were not as prepared as they think with what they have in their 401k.  I will agree the millennials are even more screwed.  Job hopping is not good for packing a 401k full of money with company match and pensions are even less for that generation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Company I retired from called in all the new hires and the shop steward to inform them no more phones or headsets. You are not allowed to use them in construction. Guess they let a few go already over that this season, more worried about that phone than the work they are getting paid to do. 

They also didn't understand the company can that three looks at you 30-60 and 90 days before deciding to keep you or cut you loose so you want to show up and learn the job instead of updating you shit on facebook.

Our probation period was 90 days. It's now 9 months ....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

older gen x younger boomers(50-60 yer olds) overall made terrible choices regarding retirement unless they were lucky enough to be pension eligible.  IMO many who retired through this covid thing are going to find out when the market drops that they were not as prepared as they think with what they have in their 401k.  I will agree the millennials are even more screwed.  Job hopping is not good for packing a 401k full of money with company match and pensions are even less for that generation.

I agree. I couldn’t talk some employees to put 5 bucks a week into their 401K. They thought nothing of dropping a 50 spot every week for a carton of smokes or running a big tab drinking beers and shooters a few times a week. 

I have some stories…lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

but but they want life experience on the job app and the employer should pay up for that, no kid all it shows is you cannot hold a job for more than six months

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Our probation period was 90 days. It's now 9 months ....

The UPS driver said they wait four years to list them and then pay back all the hours to pension, they found a person was going to stay if they made the 4.  That also increased wages and healthcare a huge hourly bump. He had a guy he trained 3 3/4 years leave cause his girlfriend didn't like his work hours even with the wage package and pension laid out in front of him with solid numbers pussy was more important SMH

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I agree. I couldn’t talk some employees to put 5 bucks a week into their 401K. They thought nothing of dropping a 50 spot every week for a carton of smokes or running a big tab drinking beers and shooters a few times a week. 

I have some stories…lol

Years ago I had a guy go over what a 401k was worth after 7 years of 5% plus 3% from the company, it sure looked like a lot of money until I discovered that Its value for pay out was $136 a month for ten years, what a scam. The only people who do good with a 401K are the people who run them.

Years ago I had a guy go over what a 401k was worth after 7 years of 5% plus 3% from the company, it sure looked like a lot of money until I discovered that Its value for pay out was $136 a month for ten years, what a scam. The only people who do good with a 401K are the people who run them.

what did you think it was going to be worth after 7 years,  SMH it's a long term plan.  Pretty easy to save a milli over a normal 40 years of work.  Too often people jump jobs and cash it out rather than rolling it into the new 401k or better yet an IRA.  My IRA has proceeds from 2 401k and 2 pension buyouts in it.  Every time i changed jobs i used it as an opportunity to control my money better not spend it but i know too many in my business who cashed it out when the times were bad.

Lack of guidance and financial common sense is the issue not the 401k itself.  

• Like 3

WTF, I started contributing to a 401k in 1986. All I did was make sure I put in enough to get 100% of company match for the 1st ten years. After that I was able to max my contributions.

You'd literally shit if I told you how much money is in it now. BTW, I'm retiring March 31 2022 at 60.

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

what did you think it was going to be worth after 7 years,  SMH it's a long term plan.  Pretty easy to save a milli over a normal 40 years of work.  Too often people jump jobs and cash it out rather than rolling it into the new 401k or better yet an IRA.  My IRA has proceeds from 2 401k and 2 pension buyouts in it.  Every time i changed jobs i used it as an opportunity to control my money better not spend it but i know too many in my business who cashed it out when the times were bad.

Lack of guidance and financial common sense is the issue not the 401k itself.  

Next we reviewed the numbers for a pension in the same time frame, almost fell out of my chair. Now the thing is it wasn't the company letting me know how they work,they are not forthcoming about it. 

3 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

WTF, I started contributing to a 401k in 1986. All I did was make sure I put in enough to get 100% of company match for the 1st ten years. After that I was able to max my contributions.

You'd literally shit if I told you how much money is in it now. BTW, I'm retiring March 31 2022 at 60.

What I started to notice was company's not matching contributions. First it was matching mine, then a small percentage and now nothing. But they still take their fee when managing your money.

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

You mean the generation of sex, drugs and rock & roll, the flower children, John Kerry and Jane Fonda?  They figured out capitalism and how to suck the next generation (mine) dry just like the 'greatest generation' before them.  Our day is coming though, maybe we can run the well dry.  

How old are you?

• Platinum Contributing Member
29 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Congrats , good for you man.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

The UPS driver said they wait four years to list them and then pay back all the hours to pension, they found a person was going to stay if they made the 4.  That also increased wages and healthcare a huge hourly bump. He had a guy he trained 3 3/4 years leave cause his girlfriend didn't like his work hours even with the wage package and pension laid out in front of him with solid numbers pussy was more important SMH

young  dumb and...                          

9 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I remember when 401K plans started. We switched from a profit sharing plan to a 401K and never looked back. 

Remember 9-11 when those 401K's tanked but all the companies ran around saying the market will come back so don't panic. That sounds like solid advice unless your the person who just retired and took a huge hit and was to old to wait for the market to recover. That happened to one of my supervisors and he was far to old to recover from it, lesson learned.

21 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Remember 9-11 when those 401K's tanked but all the companies ran around saying the market will come back so don't panic. That sounds like solid advice unless your the person who just retired and took a huge hit and was to old to wait for the market to recover. That happened to one of my supervisors and he was far to old to recover from it, lesson learned.

2008 and the housing crisis made 9-11 look like child's play. 

19 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

How about grandparents raising their grandchildren because their own children suck at being parents?

That's been happening since the dawn of time.

It's call a family.

17 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Drivers make seniority after a training period and after the management certifies them after 30 days. At that point they are a seniority driver. While they are indeed in a 4 year wage progression, all rights and benefits are active after that 30th day.

On the bold.... he needs to have a wife like mine who isn't afraid to work herself 60-70 hours a week.

17 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

I retire on May 1st... the wife retired 2 weeks ago. Like the other dude said.... if I told you how much $ we have, you'd shit.

And think  of it this way...: 100% of our 401ks is fuck off money.

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Old enough to be squarely fucked by boomers and millennials.

Right in the middle, just like me, but why ain't I complaining... :lmao:

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1