Check your account email address ×

Tough day

We have to make a sad drive today to the Vets . Our Dobie Miller has to be helped get over the Rainbow bridge. He's been sick for a while (wobblers) and we've tried with medication but his quality of life isn't there anymore and it's sad just watching him struggle. We have to say goodbye to a great friend, loving pet and a beautiful dog. He will be missed

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have to make a sad drive today to the Vets . Our Dobie Miller has to be helped get over the Rainbow bridge. He's been sick for a while (wobblers) and we've tried with medication but his quality of life isn't there anymore and it's sad just watching him struggle. We have to say goodbye to a great friend, loving pet and a beautiful dog. He will be missed

my condolences. we lost our 12 year old dog two Saturdays ago. very tough and we're really struggling. they're family, no other way to put it. good luck.

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

my condolences. we lost our 12 year old dog two Saturdays ago. very tough and we're really struggling. they're family, no other way to put it. good luck.

Hardest thing you ever have to do.

11 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I've had to make that incredibly tough choice several times.  It's no easy choice and take solace in knowing it was the right one.  My first pup I waited too long thinking "he'll get better" and "it's just a bad stretch".  I'll never forgive myself for it staying up nights with him til I finally "manned up" and called the vet.  I'll never let my "kids" spend their last few days like that again.

We feel for you bro.  Shit, me and my wife take several days off of work when we lose a pet.  It's just necessary.  They are, IMO, the best part of a family.

:friends:

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Hardest thing you ever have to do.

our dog had stroke or something while we were snowmobiling. came home and he didn't want to get up immediately which we thought was odd. then we tried to help him and his eyes started rolling and it became obvious it was all but over. took his last breath in my lap on the way to the pet ER. this was our second dog, the first we had to put down. didn't mean to hi-jack the thread George, just wanted you to know you're not alone in your struggle. :bc:

My condolences George, 01MXZ800 , and Slinger. They're our family, and it's tough to have to say goodbye to them, just like our human relatives.  

I've only had to put one down. My dog that I grew up with. We got her when I was about 18 months old. Her and I grew up together. After 2 surgeries to remove tumors, when it was determined that a 3rd surgery was going to be needed, we all decided at age 16, she didn't need to be put thru that again. It was tough.  It was like I lost my little sister.  I cried like a baby for days. Couldn't go to school. It sucked.  

Last pet I lost was a cat that my wife and I got right after we got married.   He died while we were in Florida for 10 days. That sucked too.  Especially since it was unexpected (he was only 12) and we didn't get to say our final goodbye to him.  In a way, it was kind of easier than putting him down.  But it was still hard on all of us because when we left for vacation, we didn't know it would be the last time we saw him.  It was really tough on my then 10 year old .

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

Slinger, those are the kind of people who shouldn't have pets.

One more thing I'd like to add guys.  You mentioned you're gonna wait before you get another pet.  After our cat died unexpectedly, my wife decided she wanted a dog. I really didn't want one , but I gave in.  We started looking within a couple weeks after the cat died.  We really weren't going to get one right away, but we went to PetSmart one Sunday when the humane society was going to be there.   Ended up coming home with her 

9-22-11-24397_zpsad1e197a.jpg

9-22-11-24576_zpsd94a75db.jpg

She really did make it easier to deal with the loss of our cat.  We go her less than 3 weeks after we got home and discovered our cat died.  She definitely fillies the void in our hearts that we lost when he died.

So you may want to re consider waiting.  She is a rescue dog.  There are lots of them out there who need loving homes.  Waiting is just making it harder on yourselves. :bc:

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS
  • Like 1

Giving a rescue or a pitched cat or dog a new start is a great thing to do . All of our labs an " pole - gutter " cats have been re-runs. Thoughts to all members that have faced the loss of a pet.

Edited by hwytohell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

thanks SVT,

rescue pets are the way to go too many dogs and cat that need a second chance and to have good homes, most of our pets have been "hand me downs" and have been great family members

:bc:

My Boxer isn't a rescue dog. But I always loved how Boxers look and had to get one. He is a complete goof ball, but very loving and a very good dog.   I got him thru a friend of  friend who has always had them and has bred her female a couple times with another male who she knew thru a relative. 

When our Bella is gone ( the one we rescued) I told the wife we will have to look for either another Boxer, from a rescue. Or another Bull Mastiff mix ( or pure bred)  like Bella, to rescue. 

8 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Slinger, those are the kind of people who shouldn't have pets.

One more thing I'd like to add guys.  You mentioned you're gonna wait before you get another pet.  After our cat died unexpectedly, my wife decided she wanted a dog. I really didn't want one , but I gave in.  We started looking within a couple weeks after the cat died.  We really weren't going to get one right away, but we went to PetSmart one Sunday when the humane society was going to be there.   Ended up coming home with her 

9-22-11-24397_zpsad1e197a.jpg

9-22-11-24576_zpsd94a75db.jpg

She really did make it easier to deal with the loss of our cat.  We go her less than 3 weeks after we got home and discovered our cat died.  She definitely fillies the void in our hearts that we lost when he died.

So you may want to re consider waiting.  She is a rescue dog.  There are lots of them out there who need loving homes.  Waiting is just making it harder on yourselves. :bc:

what a cute pup. yeah we didn't wait very long between the loss of our other pets, it definitely helped. this time we may, but who knows. :bc:

9 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

thx svt. if people don't get upset at the loss of their pets there's something fucking wrong with them. i know several who didn't shed a tear or really gave a shit.

Me & my buddy were talking about it at lunch.  He was telling me, "I buried both my parents without a tear, it was there time to go, but when I had to put that last Doberman down I cried like a baby. 

9 hours ago, old indy said:

The loss of a pet i feel touches a place that losing a person does not..  

sorry for your loss George.

They become such a big part of your life and routine. When they are gone it leaves this huge hole in your life. 

7 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

:bc:

My Boxer isn't a rescue dog. But I always loved how Boxers look and had to get one. He is a complete goof ball, but very loving and a very good dog.   I got him thru a friend of  friend who has always had them and has bred her female a couple times with another male who she knew thru a relative. 

When our Bella is gone ( the one we rescued) I told the wife we will have to look for either another Boxer, from a rescue. Or another Bull Mastiff mix ( or pure bred)  like Bella, to rescue. 

Boxers are the best dogs, especially if you have kids!  Smart & loyal.

They picked up a dog in Detroit yesterday, where some asshole cut its nose and ears off.   Very well cared for, they are thinking it was someone's pet.

Still a nice calm, trusting, dog.   I would love to torture the pos that did that,  just horrific looking.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cold War said:

They picked up a dog in Detroit yesterday, where some asshole cut its nose and ears off.   Very well cared for, they are thinking it was someone's pet.

Still a nice calm, trusting, dog.   I would love to torture the pos that did that,  just horrific looking.    

I saw that, and it's tail. I'd love to get ahold of whoever did that.

• Like 1