Check your account email address ×

"Green" energy

Highmark

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Wind farms take up 10x the amount of space that nuclear does.  There are less of a chance that you will live next to nuclear than a wind farm.

Agreed however I don't want to live next to either.   Not many do other than those making money from it. 

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

GE is grinding up blades with a partner and using it to replace reinforcement products in cement.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/ge-announces-first-us-wind-turbine-blade-recycling-program-with-veolia/591869/

That would be concrete, cement is powder, anyhow they have used ground up old tires in between lifts of Asphalt to dispose of the tires.

13 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

So we are going to use chemicals of God knows what creation to break down the blades, then further break down the resins?

Maybe the Devil we know is better then the one we don't?

Doubt it.

I don't know why we couldn't grind it up and use it in concrete?

If that's a good idea and some corporation starts doing it, I demand some type of royalty.

14 minutes ago, racer254 said:

In case you don't know,

image.png.dbe6f8a583e9f8e80b3d45a0bee07d23.png

China is 1.415 billion, or 18.5% of global population.

India is 1.354 billion, or 17.7% of global population.  

Using 2018 data here's people per km2 

China 148 

India 455 

US 36

Brazil 25 

Interestingly, Canada is only 4 per km2 

Clearly, we must invade. 

Or, think about this.

In the year zero it's estimated there was 190 million people on this marble.  By 1928 the estimated world population was 2 billion and in 2019 we were at about 7.7 billion. 

That's a lot of mouths to feed, a lot of wattage to produce and a fuckload of people putting pressure on our resources and polluting the environment. 

Was this rock ever intended to support this many of us driving cars, running the electrical grid and gobbling up the resources?  I don't think so.

https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Vestas has the tech to recycle it.  Plans to scale it up and they will be able to resuse almost the the entire blade and make a new one.  

What you're clearly missing is the point at the cost at producing these things, the pollution/waste in making them, their live span, the numerous forests, wetlands and other places that are being razed and desecrated in order to put these monstrosities up. Please enlighten me how carbon absorbing, climate cooling forests and natural habitats for thousands of creatures makes any sense to you with this "GREEN" movement??? 

Open your eyes, dude, you're being lied to. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, irv said:

What you're clearly missing is the point at the cost at producing these things, the pollution/waste in making them, their live span, the numerous forests, wetlands and other places that are being razed and desecrated in order to put these monstrosities up. Please enlighten me how carbon absorbing, climate cooling forests and natural habitats for thousands of creatures makes any sense to you with this "GREEN" movement??? 

Open your eyes, dude, you're being lied to. 

25 years or so is the blade life span.  If they can be recycled it is great news.  They aren’t clearing anymore land then any other forms of energy production and they mainly are built on private land anyways…  In a lot of areas they are put where crops grow and cattle graze and the land would be cleared anyway.  Less the 5% of US wind production is on public lands.

Edited by BOHICA

Real question is why do these windmills sit idle more than they turn?

I drive by a lot of these daily and see this often?

if so great why not turning 24/7 wind providing?

im sure xcel energy has investors to answer too if not generating power to sell!!!

17 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Real question is why do these windmills sit idle more than they turn?

I drive by a lot of these daily and see this often?

if so great why not turning 24/7 wind providing?

im sure xcel energy has investors to answer too if not generating power to sell!!!

Up here it doesn't matter if they spin or not. The foreign investors get paid no matter what. 

Nothing but a liberal feel good plan that was all implemented to appease the ignorant and make the rich even more rich. 

climmitty11.jpg

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Or, think about this.

In the year zero it's estimated there was 190 million people on this marble.  By 1928 the estimated world population was 2 billion and in 2019 we were at about 7.7 billion. 

That's a lot of mouths to feed, a lot of wattage to produce and a fuckload of people putting pressure on our resources and polluting the environment. 

Was this rock ever intended to support this many of us driving cars, running the electrical grid and gobbling up the resources?  I don't think so.

Do you have kids.?

On 9/21/2021 at 8:09 PM, Highmark said:

Can't recycle the fiberglass blades so they bury them.  Same issue with lithium batteries. 

28085538-8294057-image-a-24_1588795731941.jpg

That is not even taking in to consideration the tons and tons  of bunker fuel used to deliver them the to US . Green I tell you Green 

11 hours ago, Highmark said:

Agreed however I don't want to live next to either.   Not many do other than those making money from it. 

My cuz has a lake place on the MN SD border.  Had it for decades . Now you look out at night and see miles of red flashing lights and in the day Miles of blades. 

But his bud has one littealy in his back lot . You sit in his living room in the morning and get a odd shade then sun then shade then sun . He had to get room dark shades on the back and side of his house to stop from going crazy lol .

If tv on you can't hear it but if not pretty noticeable.  In yard pretty bad swoosh swoosh non stop . He was in a fucked up deal with his house and yard in MN and power company lease in SD he was on the loosing side of set back laws 

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Or, think about this.

no

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

That is not even taking in to consideration the tons and tons  of bunker fuel used to deliver them the to US . Green I tell you Green 

What's also completely ignored is the energy it takes to produce these wind turbines (and "recycle" them) is hardly ever paid off compared to other forms of energy.   Same goes for electric cars.