Check your account email address ×

Have you got your milk money?

ckf

Lawsuit: Dairy producers accused of killing cows to raise prices

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 4:21 PM EST Updated: Jan 13, 2017 5:21 PM EST

12909746_G.jpg
BURLINGTON, Vt. -

A price fixing scheme in the dairy industry could mean money in your wallet.

It's really simple. If you bought milk or other dairy products in the last 13 years while living in Vermont or New Hampshire you're likely eligible for a small part of the $52 million settlement.

It seems too good to be true, but this payout is legitimate. The result of a massive, class-action lawsuit against some of the nation's largest dairy producers. They're accused of slaughtering a half million cows to reduce milk supply and drive up dairy prices.

You can get a share of the money if you bought dairy products at a grocery store any time since 2003 and you don't need a receipt. You just have to sign-up.

Depending on how many people submit a claim you could get between $45 to $70. Places like schools could get nearly $2,000.

The deadline is January 31.

Click here to sign up. 

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

dairy farmers get paid by the hundred weight for their milk, if they are killing off cows it's because they can make more money beefing them than milking them, not to jack up milk prices

how good do dairy cows taste??

Edited by Legend

Just now, Legend said:

dairy cows are well fed and unless they are older cows just as good as any other beef, older cows usually end up as burger for fast food joints. when I was farming we always had freezers full of good quality beef

• Gold Member

Some drunk dairy farmer on Tug Hill tried to tell me all about the government conspiracy to keep the cost of milk high. He also told me he shot his own foot while deer hunting. :lol: gotta love drunk hillbillys!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

dairy cows are well fed and unless they are older cows just as good as any other beef, older cows usually end up as burger for fast food joints. when I was farming we always had freezers full of good quality beef

must be what walmart sells for beef?

I gotta farmer friend we get a 1/2 from when needed. beats the shit outta grocery store meat.

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Are any of the mmgw activists happy about this?  It is reducing the green house gases.

must be one hell of a conflict in their VEGAN bleeding hearts......

Edited by Legend
fixed

12 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

dairy farmers get paid by the hundred weight for their milk, if they are killing off cows it's because they can make more money beefing them than milking them, not to jack up milk prices

Pretty much.  Plus, you can't milk a bull or a steer.

10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just like all other animals, some are better then others.  Dry cows usually go to ground beef.

7 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

American Kobe & Waygu FTW!

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

must be what walmart sells for beef?

I gotta farmer friend we get a 1/2 from when needed. beats the shit outta grocery store meat.

dairy cows have a much different diet than beef cows, meat is a bit leaner and I would much prefer to buy a 1/4 or a 1/2 from a local dairy farmer than go to the store

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Are any of the mmgw activists happy about this?  It is reducing the green house gases.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/04/11/301794415/gassy-cows-are-warming-the-planet-and-theyre-here-to-stay

Catman is.

Son of a bitch I can't help but feel sorry for the 50-100 cow dairy farmer  right now.  Talk about depressing knowing everyday you wake up, and I mean every fucking day, your gonna work all day pulling tits only to either break even or have to take money from one account and put into the other to pay the bills and keep things going in hopes this is gonna turn around to the + side.  

14 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Some drunk dairy farmer on Tug Hill tried to tell me all about the government conspiracy to keep the cost of milk high. He also told me he shot his own foot while deer hunting. :lol: gotta love drunk hillbillys!

when I was still farming the government set the milk prices paid to the farmers, might be different now, but they bought low and processors sold high so in the end the farmer still got fucked which is why most the small family farms have fallen to the corperate super farms which is mighty sad IMO

24 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

That sounds like Marty.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

when I was still farming the government set the milk prices paid to the farmers, might be different now, but they bought low and processors sold high so in the end the farmer still got fucked which is why most the small family farms have fallen to the corperate super farms which is mighty sad IMO

It doesn't help but I'd say there are larger factors at play other then just the government meddling.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

It doesn't help but I'd say there are larger factors at play other then just the government meddling.  

back when we were still milking I want to say the price was about $18 a hundred weight for high butter fat milk, we milked 250 cows and by the time you figured in feed labor and other costs involved we might have been in the black by a little, if it wasn't for the cash crops of beans, corn, both field and sweet(for local canning plant) we would have had to throw in the towel much sooner, we were surrounded by a few corporate farms and could no longer compete and shut down