Check your account email address ×

Former McDonald's CEO warns $15 minimum wage directly contributing to fast-food industry's automation push

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Butchers, insurance billing, cooks, construction labor,and even plumbing and electrical.  Bennies, aren't included in Fed. min. wage.

Sorry but some of those do not typically fit accepted definitions of skilled labor.   Not sure where in this country certified plumbers or electricians make only $15.00 hr.  Same could be said for the vast majority of construction jobs.   You won't find many construction workers with even limited years experience making under $20.00.   Maybe beginners with zero experience and gophers but that's about it.   

What is Unskilled Labor?

Unskilled labor is used to refer to a segment of the workforce associated with a limited skill set or minimal economic value for the work performed. Unskilled labor is generally characterized by a lower educational attainment, such as a high school diploma, GED or lack thereof, and typically results in smaller wages. Work that requires no specific education level or specialized experience is often available to the unskilled labor force.

Understanding Unskilled Labor

Unskilled labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.

What Is Skilled Labor?

Skilled labor is a segment of the workforce that has specialized know-how, training, and experience to carry out more complex physical, or mental tasks than routine job functions. Skilled labor is generally characterized by higher education, as well as expertise levels attained through training and experience, and likewise generally corresponds with higher wages.

This can be contrasted with unskilled labor.

Understanding Skilled Labor

Skilled labor in an increasingly competitive world is essential. Developing countries in Asia are rapidly building up their skilled labor pools. Meanwhile, the U.S. and Western European countries, which have dominated economic advancements since the mid-1800s, are paying more attention to the preservation and growth of their skilled labor workforce.

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

$499,000

• 4bed
  • 3bath
  • 3,200sqft
  • 150acre lot

850 US Route 1, Weston, ME, 04424

6f222c24f0926f761fc9ab3472d7b448l-m19629

That would be 1.5 to 2 million here, maybe more.

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Very hard to find anyone younger these days to get into the trades.  

I went back doing some select jobs in 2014, because people just couldn't get any company to do the job do to lack of help.

These kids also don't understand working under a professional is a step to learning and becoming one ones self. No gumption.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Sorry but some of those do not typically fit accepted definitions of skilled labor.   Not sure where in this country certified plumbers or electricians make only $15.00 hr.  Same could be said for the vast majority of construction jobs.   You won't find many construction workers with even limited years experience making under $20.00.   Maybe beginners with zero experience and gophers but that's about it.   

What is Unskilled Labor?

Unskilled labor is used to refer to a segment of the workforce associated with a limited skill set or minimal economic value for the work performed. Unskilled labor is generally characterized by a lower educational attainment, such as a high school diploma, GED or lack thereof, and typically results in smaller wages. Work that requires no specific education level or specialized experience is often available to the unskilled labor force.

Understanding Unskilled Labor

Unskilled labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.

What Is Skilled Labor?

Skilled labor is a segment of the workforce that has specialized know-how, training, and experience to carry out more complex physical, or mental tasks than routine job functions. Skilled labor is generally characterized by higher education, as well as expertise levels attained through training and experience, and likewise generally corresponds with higher wages.

This can be contrasted with unskilled labor.

Understanding Skilled Labor

Skilled labor in an increasingly competitive world is essential. Developing countries in Asia are rapidly building up their skilled labor pools. Meanwhile, the U.S. and Western European countries, which have dominated economic advancements since the mid-1800s, are paying more attention to the preservation and growth of their skilled labor workforce.

Here there is no union and few certified plumbers,electricians, carpenters, ect. Only need a state licence and many don't have that.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Very hard to find anyone younger these days to get into the trades.  

I went back doing some select jobs in 2014, because people just couldn't get any company to do the job do to lack of help.

No easier way to owning your own business than in some trades (electrical, Plumbing).   Literally write your own ticket with proper motivation.   I have a couple buddies that are extremely successful and started out as apprentices at other places. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

These kids also don't understand working under a professional is a step to learning and becoming one ones self. No gumption.

Very true, thing were much different when I started, you started at the bottom period.

Just now, Highmark said:

No easier way to owning your own business than in some trades (electrical, Plumbing).   Literally write your own ticket with proper motivation.   I have a couple buddies that are extremely successful and started out as apprentices at other places. 

Keith worked under a master plumber, got his own license. Within 5 years he has opened his own shop and is turning down work left and right. Making serious bank.

That's motivation.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I tell people that all the time, get you kid to learn air conditioning service, a thousand dollars worth of tools a mini van or station wagon and you are set to go.

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Here there is no union and few certified plumbers,electricians, carpenters, ect. Only need a state licence and many don't have that.

Same here regarding union, can't say for sure on certification but they make very solid money.  $22-25/hr or better.

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Keith worked under a master plumber, got his own license. Within 5 years he has opened his own shop and is turning down work left and right. Making serious bank.

That's motivation.

That's what I did too, but we don't need license even to this day.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

That's what I did too, but we don't need license even to this day.

How do you get building permits or how do the building inspector's sign off on what you do if you don't have the proper license or a license number?

Edited by racer254

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Same here regarding union, can't say for sure on certification but they make very solid money.  $22-25/hr or better.

Very few made that wage here, I would say more people recently make better wages. Most guys just wont pay better wages and once the worker learns the trade he starts doing it themselves.

Personally, I'd prefer the better and quicker service that automation may provide at fast food, and other, places.  Service has become unbearable at many.

This is a bit "off" in topic but, I've been in the south for about 8 months now and this place is just fucked on the service end.  I mean, complete abortion.  With very few exceptions, you are treated rudely...like you are bothering the ones being paid to do the customer service.  This is in no way my imagination.  I've actually started to quasi document some of it to see just how bad it is (my old HR habits dying hard).  The fact is, this is what many employers have now...just a bunch of entitled and bitter people seemingly believing they are worth whatever they think they are and have really managed to strangle establishments.  Now, I also acknowledge that geography plays into this.  We spend a few days back up in DOOLOOTH and I did some patronizing of several establishments.  I mean, WOW...don't know what you got, til it's gone.  What a difference.  I can't wait to get it back again.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

How do you get building permits or how do the building inspector's sign off on what you do if you don't have the proper license?

Depends on the Township, some you just pay your permit fee and that's about it. You only need a state licence number and that is just a fee no test involved at all.

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

That's motivation.

Just now, 1jkw said:

I tell people that all the time, get you kid to learn air conditioning service, a thousand dollars worth of tools a mini van or station wagon and you are set to go.

Yep....very good bud of mine started as an apprentice.   They paid for his schooling and got good wages while working.   Now is a multi-millionaire with a very lucrative business.

All within about 15 years.  Of course he worked his ass off to get there but that's what it takes. 

He has told me numerous times he would take any HS grad with a decent work ethic and they will be certified and making $80K+ within 7 years and an easy stepping stone to being your own boss.   He can't find workers.   Insane.  I know some of his employee's and they live extremely nice lives.   Made $50K while going to school for free and now make $80K plus.   Imagine how far ahead they are of someone with a business degree making $40K and has $50-100K in student debt.      

Had Ms Donalds last weekend.  I'm driving , wife is giving directions to hotel.  I hear her mention Mc donalds a few times and then she is MC DONALDS!!! right there! 

So ,im thinking damn, this bitch really wants some Mc donalds.

Sitting in this long ass line and she looks over at me.....Really? taking me to mcdonalds for my birthday?  

What???  you were the one freaking out about going. 

No, asshole. I was telling you, you needed to turn in at the mcdonalds to go hotel. 

Had a chicken sandwich. It was actually pretty tasty.   

• Haha 3

Yeah you can slave with a boss you hate. Find another job with a boss you like for now, then you hate him. Start your own company you say? Deal with hiring employees, dealing with ass fuck customers and employees who don’t show on mondays and fridays…..hard to fire because there isn’t good help available to replace. Make payroll, having customers who don’t pay, dealing with all the HR crap. Emergency calls 24/7.

Learn a trade and then take a government job….end of story. 

9 hours ago, Edmo said:

That’s why I live in the city. Love to make big money living in the yoop but that’s not going to happen. Just the reality...

very few great paying jobs in the rural areas. if you are lucky enough to have one awesome but for most good pay means being within an hour of a major metro.  

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah you can slave with a boss you hate. Find another job with a boss you like for now, then you hate him. Start your own company you say? Deal with hiring employees, dealing with ass fuck customers and employees who don’t show on mondays and fridays…..hard to fire because there isn’t good help available to replace. Make payroll, having customers who don’t pay, dealing with all the HR crap. Emergency calls 24/7.

So that's how you felt about the famous brother in law or whatever? He should have sent you packing earlier.... what a determent to any business.

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

I'll bet your entire working career was literally a catalog of "Who not to hire" and "What not to do".  Work is extremely stressful for the lazy and inept.  The exuse of "I don't get paid enough for this." is, and should be, immediate grounds for dismissal.

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Or you could claim you can’t work due to your drug and laziness.  (Mental health).  Skip job all together and get a check and let the other suckers work! 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

That's motivation.

I've been teaching my daughter this for years;  It takes so little effort for smart people to move up and do very, very well for themselves due to so many now just not motivated to do anything.  Hell, I believe you can under-promise and over-deliver by accident on a daily basis now.  There's just not much competition willing to step up these days.  Just a lot of whining.

Shit...I just read an article in the WSJ about one employer than no longer hires from Ivy League schools because of their poor work ethic and instilled entitlement.  They just aren't motivated to do anything.....but be an activist.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I've been teaching my daughter this for years;  It takes so little effort for smart people to move up and do very, very well for themselves due to so many now just not motivated to do anything.  Hell, I believe you can under-promise and over-deliver by accident on a daily basis now.  There's just not much competition willing to step up these days.  Just a lot of whining.

Shit...I just read an article in the WSJ about one employer than no longer hires from Ivy League schools because of their poor work ethic and instilled entitlement.  They just aren't motivated to do anything.....but be an activist.

Read the same.