Check your account email address ×

Pellet Grills

So I am shopping for pellet grills with my brother in law.

We have been 6 places looking at trager, pit boss, Coleman, Vermont castings, and country smokers. 

There wasn't a gmg dealer open to look at today.

What are peoples opinions of a grill with around 800sqin of cooking surface while trying to stay under the $1000cad.

Friend has a treager for camping and bought a pit boss for home use.  He has used it for several years and has been happy with it so I bought a pit boss platinum laredo 1000.  $500 US and it grills just fine so far.  There are things I still like better about my primo ceramic grill but that thing was over twice the price of the pellet grill 12 years ago and I see the prices have only gone up.  

78b6a3c2-90b0-4851-ab8d-224de58dd1eb.8f4 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I know you are looking for something larger than this one but they do make larger grills....

https://www.recteq.com/RT-B380-Bullseye-Wood-Pellet-Grill

478071BB-A067-4665-9E05-94C0C2244AAC.thumb.png.5f52b38b6bf011e528ecd9a035bf93d3.png

Unfortunately those guys don't ship to Canada anymore.

4 hours ago, jdsky said:

Friend has a treager for camping and bought a pit boss for home use.  He has used it for several years and has been happy with it so I bought a pit boss platinum laredo 1000.  $500 US and it grills just fine so far.  There are things I still like better about my primo ceramic grill but that thing was over twice the price of the pellet grill 12 years ago and I see the prices have only gone up.  

78b6a3c2-90b0-4851-ab8d-224de58dd1eb.8f4 

That looks a real nice unit. The pit boss's up here are half that size and are $700-$900 Canadian.

Is the 800" square, a requirement or just a number you randomly came up with?  What I mean by that is, are you looking to do larger cooks for a bigger crowd?  I have the Daniel Boone version of the GMG and I think that's something like 500 sqin, and it's more than enough for me (family of 4).  My buddy has the Jim Bowie, which seems HUGE to me, and I think even that is under 800 sqin.  As far as GMG brand goes, do you have any butchers near you?  The reason I ask is, a lot of butchers are dealers for a given brand, and if you're interested in GMG that may be an option.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Is the 800" square, a requirement or just a number you randomly came up with?  What I mean by that is, are you looking to do larger cooks for a bigger crowd?  I have the Daniel Boone version of the GMG and I think that's something like 500 sqin, and it's more than enough for me (family of 4).  My buddy has the Jim Bowie, which seems HUGE to me, and I think even that is under 800 sqin.  As far as GMG brand goes, do you have any butchers near you?  The reason I ask is, a lot of butchers are dealers for a given brand, and if you're interested in GMG that may be an option.

That's just the size he seems to like. He is replacing a 4 burner propane BBQ with what seems to be close to the same size

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tomas. said:

So I am shopping for pellet grills with my brother in law.

We have been 6 places looking at trager, pit boss, Coleman, Vermont castings, and country smokers. 

There wasn't a gmg dealer open to look at today.

What are peoples opinions of a grill with around 800sqin of cooking surface while trying to stay under the $1000cad.

This guy wins bbq Competition all the time and he swears by this Weber pellet grill

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire/smokefire-ex6-(2nd-gen)-wood-fired-pellet-grill/23510201.html?utm_source=paid_search&utm_term=%2Bweber %2Bpellet %2Bex6&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Google-Search-SmokeFire-BRAND-Weber-BMM&utm_id=go_cmp-9331547705_adg-99077692554_ad-515178374782_kwd-877758526699_dev-m_ext-_sig-Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnJ2iAtOQ6Bfh-f1Jt6aJEjSVmOx5CidF8AnBjjcaS2Ne3_rFqV8SRwaAiShEALw_wcB&utm_adgroup=SmokeFire-Sales-CPA-Search-Pellet EX6-WDPL-BMM&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZmEBhCpARIsALIzmnJ2iAtOQ6Bfh-f1Jt6aJEjSVmOx5CidF8AnBjjcaS2Ne3_rFqV8SRwaAiShEALw_wcB

29 minutes ago, ckf said:

The Weber's were known to catch fire if you didn't keep them clean. They may have fixed that issue by now :dunno:

I think This is the second generation. I have a high-end Traeger timberline I think it’s way overpriced for what it is. The food comes out very good off of it I can make a really good brisket on it but again not worth the big bucks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I think This is the second generation. I have a high-end Traeger timberline I think it’s way overpriced for what it is. The food comes out very good off of it I can make a really good brisket on it but again not worth the big bucks

Cool on the bold. I almost pulled the trigger on the Weber last year, but went with the Camp Chef because of the fire concern. Chances are I would have kept it clean enough to avoid a grease fire, but......    you never know, lol.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have a Pit Boss I bought from Home Depot 3-4 years ago now. Its had a couple issues which can be avoided with maintainence. Need to clean the fire pot regularly. Hasn’t  used any parts.

Does run a bit hot I find.

Id buy another. It was way cheaper than a similar Traeger.

• Like 1