Check your account email address ×

Why American cars don’t sell in Japan.

Interesting video but most of the reasons are pretty apparent to most and it has little to do trade policy.  We don’t make what they want/demand/like for the most part and our union overhead really doesn’t allow for it.

Biggest reason, and the gap has been closed here but, there is still a quality/reliability difference.  Again, overhead issues.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

country of small cars and wondering why we don't sell many american cars there 

DUH

Those little shit box cars just crack me up when I see them.  Especially when a man is driving one.  Toxic femininity!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Those little shit box cars just crack me up when I see them.  Especially when a man is driving one.  Toxic femininity!!!!

So how many of them have been sporting a mask 90% 

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I have a 2 door Civic that I drive about 2 months out of the year. I wear a balaclava when driving it as to not be recognized while getting 40 mpg.  My daily F-150 gets a solid 10 mpg but I love it anyways.

24 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The obvious reason, American vehicles are shitty. 

Lol yeah ok cars yes but all cars are shit i don't care who is slapping them together trucks I would take any American built truck over any jap car even a Lexus.  Yeah obviously a few ultra high end examples but we are talking every day stuff . You offer uo a f150 to a Japanese guy in his countery or a equal cost maxima he will be the big shot on the block with a f150 with the adjustable peddles of course 

26 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Lol yeah ok cars yes but all cars are shit i don't care who is slapping them together trucks I would take any American built truck over any jap car even a Lexus.  Yeah obviously a few ultra high end examples but we are talking every day stuff . You offer uo a f150 to a Japanese guy in his countery or a equal cost maxima he will be the big shot on the block with a f150 with the adjustable peddles of course 

Gonna disagree here.  I’m finding it very hard to get away from our Jap crap.  My Tundra is ridiculously and unbelievably good and her Lexus is right behind it.  I’ve never owned vehicles this well built and reliable.  It’s getting fucking weird to tell you the truth.  Something just has to go wrong soon.....right?

Meh....we’ll see though.  I have been looking at some Chebby stuff lately and she  has shown a fancy for an Audi as of late.

39 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Gonna disagree here.  I’m finding it very hard to get away from our Jap crap.  My Tundra is ridiculously and unbelievably good and her Lexus is right behind it.  I’ve never owned vehicles this well built and reliable.  It’s getting fucking weird to tell you the truth.  Something just has to go wrong soon.....right?

Meh....we’ll see though.  I have been looking at some Chebby stuff lately and she  has shown a fancy for an Audi as of late.

Dont think Your tundra was built in Japan TX I think and Lexus has a few us and Canada plants depending on model Kentucky and Ontario for sure 

And if you buy a Chevy truck it will be Mexico shit and you will have trans issues resembling 90s rams 

Edited by Ez ryder

7 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Dont think Your tundra was built in Japan TX I think and Lexus has a few us and Canada plants depending on model Kentucky and Ontario for sure 

And if you buy a Chevy truck it will be Mexico shit and you will have trans issues resembling 90s rams 

Yeah, Tundra in TX and RX in Canada but, location of build really isn't the indicator of quality.  It's still the parts, design, technology and QA of an operation that make the product a success.  My last couple of silverados were made in Mexico.  Last one I couldn't get rid of fast enough...at 60k it was starting to fall apart.  The one before that was good though.  Beats the fuck out of me.  I think American made vehicles are just inconsistent with quality due to the restrictions they face with overhead.  :dunno: 

Also...the prices of new trucks just make me SMH.  Holy shit.  I have a hard time stroking out a check for that amount on a 1/2 ton gasser.  Unreal.  

Its not just cars made in the US, it is cars from all other countries as well.  The Japanese are more patriotic to their country than most US citizens.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  Nothing else.  The people of Japan are PROUD of their country and do not stray from their patriotic duties.

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

My versa got 225k and counting on it never done anything but oil and 1 set of plugs in all those miles. 225k even on the original clutch. If that was a cheapo Chevy/Ford/dodge I’d had replaced motors trannys everything by now and probably still be in the scrap yard. Americans cars are complete shit. I’d take a tundra over any American 1500. 

If you are Japanese, buying from a Japanese is a very important part of the culture. They will always favor a Japanese product if possible. 

Most people live in cities, in apartments. They have no use for a truck. No toys to pull around, no property to take care of, and no place to park it. I have seen garages like this there. No way you are going to stuff an F150 into it, not even close. 

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, Tundra in TX and RX in Canada but, location of build really isn't the indicator of quality.  It's still the parts, design, technology and QA of an operation that make the product a success.  My last couple of silverados were made in Mexico.  Last one I couldn't get rid of fast enough...at 60k it was starting to fall apart.  The one before that was good though.  Beats the fuck out of me.  I think American made vehicles are just inconsistent with quality due to the restrictions they face with overhead.  :dunno: 

Also...the prices of new trucks just make me SMH.  Holy shit.  I have a hard time stroking out a check for that amount on a 1/2 ton gasser.  Unreal.  

I loved my Crewmax.  SR5 interior was a little boring, but the truck was solid and had good power.  My issue is they have barely changed a thing on it in 14 years since.  I've got a little over 10k on this new RAM and have to say I'm very impressed.  One issue with a sticky fan clutch and now its minty.  For a 3/4 ton its so much better than my old 90s vintage F250s and F350s its not even funny.

didn't watch but:
Only reason Toyota got a plant in NA was because of GM. Nummi plant 
Gm thought they would get secret tech from toyota manufacturing, bit them in the ass
GM just sold shitty cars in japan under the toyota name over there, sure that didn't help their prospective to north American cars 

Its funny, I was listing to a podcast with auto importer of jap cars in the early 2000s to the US. He also made a killing importing astro vans to japan. odd GM couldn't figure that out for them self.