Check your account email address ×

Cottage fire on Stoney

Puzzleboy

Thoughts?  Hard to believe that 2 lawyers in a decent cottage wouldn't spring for 2-3 working smoke and CO detectors.  Even the dogs died.....

Could be more to the story though.  Sad and tragic, regardless. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

Reminds of the fire that killed almost an entire fire in Sharon a few years back....with no working smoke detectors, think it was determined to be caused by the lint in the dryer exhaust catching fire.

Horrible news.

Just now, Stoney said:

Reminds of the fire that killed almost an entire fire in Sharon a few years back....with no working smoke detectors, think it was determined to be caused by the lint in the dryer exhaust catching fire.

Horrible news.

Was that the fire that had hard wired smoke detectors? Once the hydro went out, the detectors were ineffective.

12 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Was that the fire that had hard wired smoke detectors? Once the hydro went out, the detectors were ineffective.

I do not think so....the house was not old, but I do not think it was new enough to have wired detectors....and most do not go to the expense of adding that after the fact.

All but one son died, who was away at school if I am not mistaken....plus I think one of the people in the house (mom maybe) had a physical disability, making it harder to get out.....I think they were all found in the one room together, it really was also a horrible accident.

8 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Well none of us have a clue so I would reserve judgement. I'm betting the investigation will reveal a few surprises.

I am betting you might know a little more about the story....

Sounded like the husband was well liked in the community and credited for many things.

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I do not think so....the house was not old, but I do not think it was new enough to have wired detectors....and most do not go to the expense of adding that after the fact.

All but one son died, who was away at school if I am not mistaken....plus I think one of the people in the house (mom maybe) had a physical disability, making it harder to get out.....I think they were all found in the one room together, it really was also a horrible accident.

OK, that's the fire, just not familiar w/ the towns in York Region. I remember the press conference after the investigation as I had met the Fire Marshal (at the time) @ a friend's hunting camp.

46 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Horrible news.

I opened up my dryer about two years ago to test some relays when the heat was not working and could not believe the shit in there.   A fire waiting to happen. 

Yes.  Will be quite a shocker when they reveal that there were no working fire or CO detectors.....

2 hours ago, Poncho said:

Well none of us have a clue so I would reserve judgement. I'm betting the investigation will reveal a few surprises.

18 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yes.  Will be quite a shocker when they reveal that there were no working fire or CO detectors.....

Maybe......or a little more......and even with a functional detector, either CO or fire, it does not mean you can escape...it would not shock me either way, detector or not, we all learn more by what caused the fire and subsequent findings....

Edited by Poncho

Thanks! You can never be too careful. Firextinguisher,smoke alarms and CO detectors can save your life and people take them for granted. Another must have when atv"n/ sledding is a working lighter and a few packets of Zip that most don't think about that'll help you get a fire going if need be

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Thanks! You can never be too careful. Firextinguisher,smoke alarms and CO detectors can save your life and people take them for granted. Another must have when atv"n/ sledding is a working lighter and a few packets of Zip that most don't think about that'll help you get a fire going if need be

Carry a baggie of cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly (Vasoline) along with a decent flint and knife.  Even when wet the cotton will catch fire with smallest spark.  We used that on our winter survival training. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

Sure can, the problem with all of these early warning devices is the are not correctly located and most detectors are not linked together and no one is trained on the location of them..i.e. placement... Ideally they should be located at the source, eg.. near the furnace or whatever device producing hazard and then linked to another detector located in the bedrooms or living area.  Most people can't hear a detector in the basement screaming away at the start of an event expecially if they are upstairs sleeping.  Now if the detector is linked to another say in your bedroom or living area at the moment of alarm it might then provide adequate escape warning.  Having a detector is great but understanding where to put it is key, also 90 percent of people don't even know how to use a fire extinguisher.  

My point is the Stoney Lake fire is to early to assume anything, and even with adequate warning devices doesn't mean anything...

Edited by Poncho

3 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Carry a baggie of cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly (Vasoline) along with a decent flint and knife.  Even when wet the cotton will catch fire with smallest spark.  We used that on our winter survival training. 

Wow Odot1, you and Puzzler riding again?...anything saturated in Vasoline is magic to the Puzzler......becareful out there...:)

• Like 2

By that logic, everyone should dispense with CO and smoke detectors.  :)  Point was, it is highly unlikely that all members including pets did not receive adequate warning from working and correctly placed detectors.  If the detectors only alerted you once it was too late..... wouldn't be a whole lot of point in having them, would there?  And unless all adults, dogs, and children were sleeping in the same room, it is highly unlikely one of them couldn't escape via an independent window, hallway, door, etc.  All I was saying is, it sounds like they may have all been incapacitated prior to even death.  Even individual working CO detectors detect levels FAR below fatal doses, ensuring (hopefully) adequate advance notice. 

But like you say, we'll see what comes of it.  Could even be a murder-suicide, who knows....

In any case, the reminder of ensuring you have enough working placed detectors cannot be under-emphasized. 

I have 3 CO detectors in the house, and 2 smoke detectors.  One in the basement near the NG appliances, one on the mainfloor, and one in the Puzzler's bedroom.  I've set the one on the mainfloor off in the summer by running the boat in the driveway (near an open window) on the hose, so I know it works.  Lol. 

2 hours ago, Poncho said:

Sure can, the problem with all of these early warning devices is the are not correctly located and most detectors are not linked together and no one is trained on the location of them..i.e. placement... Ideally they should be located at the source, eg.. near the furnace or whatever device producing hazard and then linked to another detector located in the bedrooms or living area.  Most people can't hear a detector in the basement screaming away at the start of an event expecially if they are upstairs sleeping.  Now if the detector is linked to another say in your bedroom or living area at the moment of alarm it might then provide adequate escape warning.  Having a detector is great but understanding where to put it is key, also 90 percent of people don't even know how to use a fire extinguisher.  

My point is the Stoney Lake fire is to early to assume anything, and even with adequate warning devices doesn't mean anything...

Edited by Puzzleboy

4 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

By that logic, everyone should dispense with CO and smoke detectors.  :)  Point was, it is highly unlikely that all members including pets did not receive adequate warning from working and correctly placed detectors.  If the detectors only alerted you once it was too late..... wouldn't be a whole lot of point in having them, would there?  And unless all adults, dogs, and children were sleeping in the same room, it is highly unlikely one of them couldn't escape via an independent window, hallway, door, etc.  All I was saying is, it sounds like they may have all been incapacitated prior to even death.  Even individual working CO detectors detect levels FAR below fatal doses, ensuring adequate advance notice. 

But like you say, we'll see what comes of it.  Could even be a murder-suicide, who knows....

In any case, the reminder of ensuring you have enough working placed detectors cannot be under-emphasized. 

I have 3 CO detectors in the house, and 2 smoke detectors.  One in the basement near the NG appliances, one on the mainfloor, and one in the Puzzler's bedroom.  I've set the one on the mainfloor off in the summer by running the boat in the driveway (near an open window) on the hose, so I know it works.  Lol. 

I'm not sure why you believe every CO detector should be dispensed, that's crazy, well no worries.... And for the record, I think everyone should have them.....as for the pets....well they are along for the ride.  They have no clue.

Good to see you are getting it, "from working and correctly placed", now you are listening. You have no clue as to what they had presented to them in this event...... so why the troll.....sorry, you are Puzzle...Troll King...let's wait for the coroner report...:)

That's ok Poncho..... weren't you the guy who said winter tires have no tangible benefits over all seasons?  Only mentioned the pets as often they seem to react first to an emergency.  Much greater sensory abilities than us. 

I work in the aviation business..... and when we can mitigate risk, we do.... :)

I can already tell you what the coroner report says.....  They're deceased. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

4 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

That's ok Poncho..... weren't you the guy who said winter tires have no tangible benefits over all seasons?  Only mentioned the pets as often they seem to react first to an emergency.  Much greater sensory abilities than us. 

I work in the aviation business..... and when we can mitigate risk, we do.... :)

I can already tell you what the coroner report says.....  They're deceased. 

Thats not what a Coroner Report does, but you would not know that end of the business.  Nice try on the pet thing....get off the Walt Disney movies..... Puzzle get real.....it's not a Lassie movie.

Now please tell us about your winter tires....please...and then about your aviation business and mitigating risk.....lol

Thanks for clarifying that there's more in a coroner's report than simply "deceased", Captain O..... was just Puzzle's warped humour. 

Actually, the pet thing is accurate.  Superior hearing, sense of smell, etc. 

And it was the Littlest Hobo, not Lassie........ Hobo never let ANYONE down..... and he was Canadian.  Great acting on that show too. 

I'm all about mitigating risk Poncho..... in my personal and professional life.  That's why...... I'm still thinking of getting winter tires installed..... Lol.  But I still have 1/2 of 1/32 tread depth left on my 9 year old all seasons. 

"There's a voice, that keeps on following me........"  :)

Exactly...... see London flying that Jet Ranger in the top panel?  Managing the cyclic and collective with paws having no opposable thumbs, shows just how incredible these animals are....

Or responsibly carrying a firearm at the end? 

Now that's an advanced species..... :)

Got to meet London at the Sportsman's Show one year when I was just a  little Puzzle ..... and saw Bart the Bear (the bear we saw most often used in Kodiak commercials/marketing, movies, etc.).  London's owner told us there were other dogs used too.  They cheated!!

Edited by Puzzleboy