Check your account email address ×

In 1982 this is what the 4 manufactures had to say about the effect of snowmobile drag racing has to them. Notice anybody missing?

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My second sled I bought on my own was a SRV, Daddy wouldn't let me have a vmax.  :lol: 

I'd love a chance to throw a leg over either just to remember what they were.

in 1986 I found a mint 1981 SRX 440 in Tomahawk Wi. the Doo dealer took in on trade, dad took one look at it and said 'not a chance in hell son' and he bought a rental Safari 377 from the Benders in Eagle River that my brother and I abused like a grand canyon rental mule instead.   thanks dad :(

• Haha 1

My first sled I was 13 years old, a 1973 TNT 340 Silver Bullet.  I had groomed trails living on the north shore, plus all the 2 track and dirt bike trails that have since shut down. This was the winter of '91 and the famous "Halloween Storm". Got pics somewhere.

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Every area is different...like it's own sled cultures.  Long rail beds, lakes, fields and 16 wide groomed trail superhighways demand by cc's and that's what I'd own if I lived in that area I guess.  i love the arrowhead of MN.  You can ride whatever you want and find plenty of places to ride your metal of choice.  :bc:

Around here, it is a lot of lakes, ditches, and trails.  Depending on where you are, the ditch and the trail is the same thing.  We do have decent trails when there is snow.  Lots of ditch running growing up and still.  

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

Last radar run here was 20 years ago also but with the hyper sleds it seems it's still a thing.

I haven't raced a sled in over 10 years.

Grew up around a fairly large lake and many other lakes around.  In the 90's and even in to the early 2000's, it was pretty common for guys around here to have a lake rocket of a triple and just cruise the lakes looking for races.  The only time you'd see the fish on land was if the bar was too far off a lake for them to walk.  Don't see that at all anymore.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

when I was a kid in the 70's & early 80's 70% of what we rode on was not groomed trails, because back then people that owned farm land, woods were cool about letting us make our own single track trails.  a big excursion for us was making trail along the railroad bed which was still in operation, under the power lines as far as we could get and in the ditches from one buddies house to the other... and on roads riding sleds with hardly any suspension.  marked trail riding was fairly limited for our group and only the kids whose parents had trailers and the financial means went riding up north.  totally different world we're living in today.

anyone else remember the Snow Goer shootout back in those times?  I always loved how the John Deere Liquifire would get clobbered on the lake and kick the V-Max, Formula Plus and Indy's asses in the woods.  then JD died, along with other great brands like Kawasaki, Scorpion and Merc.

christ, I'm old.  wouldn't take any of those times back but the modern iron from all brands is all 1000X better. 

Around here, my dad said they'd go pasture to pasture and slough to slough, rip around goverment land, etc.

Never dared ride some ditches because you knew certain farmers were more then happy to pile field rocks in them.

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Around here, it is a lot of lakes, ditches, and trails.  Depending on where you are, the ditch and the trail is the same thing.  We do have decent trails when there is snow.  Lots of ditch running growing up and still.  

Grew up around a fairly large lake and many other lakes around.  In the 90's and even in to the early 2000's, it was pretty common for guys around here to have a lake rocket of a triple and just cruise the lakes looking for races.  The only time you'd see the fish on land was if the bar was too far off a lake for them to walk.  Don't see that at all anymore.

Around here, my dad said they'd go pasture to pasture and slough to slough, rip around goverment land, etc.

Never dared ride some ditches because you knew certain farmers were more then happy to pile field rocks in them.

I noticed some pretty sweet groomed ditched jumping driveways coming into St cloud from Doo looth!

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I noticed some pretty sweet groomed ditched jumping driveways coming into St cloud from Doo looth!

That is nothing compared to further west and northwest.

Edited by racinfarmer

On 3/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, Doug said:

In 1982 the 4 manufactures were asked "Does snowmobile drag racing have as much appeal to the manufactures as it seems to have for the competitors". Looking back 39 years the answers are interesting. The 4 manufactures in 1982 were Polaris, Yamaha, Ski-Doo and John Deere. Notice anybody missing?

1982 mfg.jpg

1982 A mfg.jpg

1982 B mfg.jpg

1982 C mfg.jpg

Bankrupt in 82 . Then came back to dominate drag racing for the next 40 yrs and beond 

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

From the ashes of cat, like a phoenix, rose two great mad catters.   (firecat?? crossFIRE??)

and now... they've five different models of single cylinder 400cc 'mid-sized' sleds and a decade old chassis as their flagship.

hooray

53a0f1c634c95_-_cjgif.gif?resize=480:*

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 3/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, mnstang said:

Cat took the year off to commemorate the birth of me.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:39 PM, Sled_Hed said:

Yeah...and they started building sleds the next year in honor of my birth:true:

Millennial Sleds. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Don't remind me that I'm a millennial. I identify as gen x...:lol:

Gen X may just be the last generation that mostly believe that personal success/failure are the responsibility of the individual and actions have consequences....both good and bad.  I.E. A person can reap what they sow.

The twist that started during the 80's to make it ok or, really......popular to blame everyone else for poor decisions. poor work effort and then morph it into the responsibility of the government to make sure success is guaranteed for everyone is the start of a downfall to any successful civilization.  

"Everyone is a winner...everyone is equal.....everyone gets a trophy!"  Game over.  This attitude was ushered in at the end of the Gen X'ers.  Morons.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Gen X may just be the last generation that mostly believe that personal success/failure are the responsibility of the individual and actions have consequences....both good and bad.  I.E. A person can reap what they sow.

The twist that started during the 80's to make it ok or, really......popular to blame everyone else for poor decisions. poor work effort and then morph it into the responsibility of the government to make sure success is guaranteed for everyone is the start of a downfall to any successful civilization.  

"Everyone is a winner...everyone is equal.....everyone gets a trophy!"  Game over.  This attitude was ushered in at the end of the Gen X'ers.  Morons.

Agreed. I'm definitely not an everyone gets a trophy person and that's not how I'm raising my kids even though most people like to blanket everyone together that are the same age.