In 1982 this is what the 4 manufactures had to say about the effect of snowmobile drag racing has to them. Notice anybody missing?

In 1982 the 4 manufactures were asked "Does snowmobile drag racing have as much appeal to the manufactures as it seems to have for the competitors". Looking back 39 years the answers are interesting. The 4 manufactures in 1982 were Polaris, Yamaha, Ski-Doo and John Deere. Notice anybody missing?

1982 mfg.jpg

1982 A mfg.jpg

1982 B mfg.jpg

1982 C mfg.jpg

I remember a life without many groomed trails where top speeds were touted as being king...and they were.  Much of my riding in my early years were on lakes.  I remember us having to break cattails on the shoreline to create our own little trails and tracks.  Ughhh.  what a mess.  

Hard to believe how much this sport has grown from a performance standpoint.  If I had to go back to riding lakes and rail beds, I'd quit it.

009.JPG

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Yes. 

I'd debate that one.  Is it their answer to the Thundercat/Sidewinder?  Yes.  Is it targeting the drag racing market?  Doubtful.  

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I remember a life without many groomed trails where top speeds were touted as being king...and they were.  Much of my riding in my early years were on lakes.  I remember us having to break cattails on the shoreline to create our own little trails and tracks.  Ughhh.  what a mess.  

Hard to believe how much this sport has grown from a performance standpoint.  If I had to go back to riding lakes and rail beds, I'd quit it.

009.JPG

Riding is what you make of it.  If we wanted to ride locally here, the lake was pretty much the only choice except one 15 mile stretch of rail grade that was off the side of it 1/2 the time just to get into any snow.

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I'd debate that one.  Is it their answer to the Thundercat/Sidewinder?  Yes.  Is it targeting the drag racing market?  Doubtful.  

Riding is what you make of it.  If we wanted to ride locally here, the lake was pretty much the only choice except one 15 mile stretch of rail grade that was off the side of it 1/2 the time just to get into any snow.

Every area is different...like it's own sled cultures.  Long rail beds, lakes, fields and 16 wide groomed trail superhighways demand by cc's and that's what I'd own if I lived in that area I guess.  i love the arrowhead of MN.  You can ride whatever you want and find plenty of places to ride your metal of choice.  :bc:

16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It has launch control and lower suspension for no other reason then drag racing. Skidoos own marketing supports this.

12 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

It has launch control and lower suspension for no other reason then drag racing. Skidoos own marketing supports this.

I have to admit ignorance about it since it is a sled I really do not care about and will not own.

Drag racing on the lakes, I guess.  That died off here 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I have to admit ignorance about it since it is a sled I really do not care about and will not own.

Drag racing on the lakes, I guess.  That died off here 20 years ago.

Last radar run here was 20 years ago also but with the hyper sleds it seems it's still a thing.

I haven't raced a sled in over 10 years.

48 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Every area is different...like it's own sled cultures.  Long rail beds, lakes, fields and 16 wide groomed trail superhighways demand by cc's and that's what I'd own if I lived in that area I guess.  i love the arrowhead of MN.  You can ride whatever you want and find plenty of places to ride your metal of choice.  :bc:

when I was a kid in the 70's & early 80's 70% of what we rode on was not groomed trails, because back then people that owned farm land, woods were cool about letting us make our own single track trails.  a big excursion for us was making trail along the railroad bed which was still in operation, under the power lines as far as we could get and in the ditches from one buddies house to the other... and on roads riding sleds with hardly any suspension.  marked trail riding was fairly limited for our group and only the kids whose parents had trailers and the financial means went riding up north.  totally different world we're living in today.

anyone else remember the Snow Goer shootout back in those times?  I always loved how the John Deere Liquifire would get clobbered on the lake and kick the V-Max, Formula Plus and Indy's asses in the woods.  then JD died, along with other great brands like Kawasaki, Scorpion and Merc.

christ, I'm old.  wouldn't take any of those times back but the modern iron from all brands is all 1000X better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

when I was a kid in the 70's & early 80's 70% of what we rode on was not groomed trails, because back then people that owned farm land, woods were cool about letting us make our own single track trails.  a big excursion for us was making trail along the railroad bed which was still in operation, under the power lines as far as we could get and in the ditches from one buddies house to the other... and on roads riding sleds with hardly any suspension.  marked trail riding was fairly limited for our group and only the kids whose parents had trailers and the financial means went riding up north.  totally different world we're living in today.

anyone else remember the Snow Goer shootout back in those times?  I always loved how the John Deere Liquifire would get clobbered on the lake and kick the V-Max, Formula Plus and Indy's asses in the woods.  then JD died, along with other great brands like Kawasaki, Scorpion and Merc.

christ, I'm old.  wouldn't take any of those times back but the modern iron from all brands is all 1000X better. 

I honestly don't remember any "groomed" trails at all in my area.  I think grooming was only being done up on the north shore.  I was down by Minneapolis and rode primarily on Lake Minnetonka and the surrounding area.  Whatever "trails" there were just went from lake to lake or, ditches.

Yeah, back in those days, it was a whole different game on the "shoot outs".  There were also a lot of different brands.  My old man went Yamaha and wouldn't allow anything else in his barn.  I remember trying to buy a buds Poo Indy 500 and he told me i could park it out on the lake.  LOL.  

One of my favs was a buddies sled.  A kawi invader.  Just sharp and fast as fuck.

Pin by jb on Vintage Snowmobiles Etc | Vintage sled, Snowmobile, Sleds

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I honestly don't remember any "groomed" trails at all in my area.  I think grooming was only being done up on the north shore.  I was down by Minneapolis and rode primarily on Lake Minnetonka and the surrounding area.  Whatever "trails" there were just went from lake to lake or, ditches.

Yeah, back in those days, it was a whole different game on the "shoot outs".  There were also a lot of different brands.  My old man went Yamaha and wouldn't allow anything else in his barn.  I remember trying to buy a buds Poo Indy 500 and he told me i could park it out on the lake.  LOL.  

One of my favs was a buddies sled.  A kawi invader.  Just sharp and fast as fuck.

Pin by jb on Vintage Snowmobiles Etc | Vintage sled, Snowmobile, Sleds

I'd rock an old Interceptor, them and the original SRX/Vmax

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'd rock an old Interceptor, them and the original SRX/Vmax

My second sled I bought on my own was a SRV, Daddy wouldn't let me have a vmax.  :lol: 

I'd love a chance to throw a leg over either just to remember what they were.

• Like 1