Check your account email address ×

$86 Billion

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Anler said:

There is no "poor management" it is theft. Ive seen this movie a bunch of times now. 

Bullshit.   When workers can manipulate how much they are paid by saving up time and what not its poor planning.    You've had to see the stories on this where a person earning like $60k ends up with a $150k per year pension.  

There is also poor management of the investments and underfunding because they promised too much.   Lots of pension plans out there are doing just fine with proper contract setup and proper investment management.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Bullshit.   When workers can manipulate how much they are paid by saving up time and what not its poor planning.    You've had to see the stories on this where a person earning like $60k ends up with a $150k per year pension.  

There is also poor management of the investments and underfunding because they promised too much.   Lots of pension plans out there are doing just fine with proper contract setup and proper investment management.  

Like I said, its theft. If you want to call theft "poor management" go ahead. But somebody got that money, it didnt just poorly fizzle away

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Crazy stock market has been good for those

That Pension is 1 of the largest in the USA, I'm in that one also. They have over 100 billion in that fund, look it up.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

When I retired it had $435,000 in it.

Sounds like an annuity. Our pension is structured where you get a certain amount for years of service or credits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

That Pension is 1 of the largest in the USA, I'm in that one also. They have over 100 billion in that fund, look it up.

Which one? railroad?

Like I said, its theft. If you want to call theft "poor management" go ahead. But somebody got that money, it didnt just poorly fizzle away

Yep, it is theft, but these "thieves" sure seem to get light sentences.  There are all kinds of examples.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/nyregion/6-year-sentence-for-melissa-g-king-who-stole-millions-from-sandhog-union.html

Six-Year Sentence in Theft of Millions in Union Funds

By Benjamin Weiser

June 21, 2012

By any measure, Melissa G. King lived an extraordinary life, one that far eclipsed her position administering benefit funds for the sandhogs’ union. She spent millions of dollars on herself, hiring a personal staff, buying expensive clothes and jewelry, and running up about $5 million in equestrian-related expenses, prosecutors have said.

And all of it was financed by her theft and greed, they say. They contend that she stole over $40 million from the plans she ran for the union, Local 147, which represents the construction workers who dig the city’s giant water and train tunnels.

Ms. King, 61, who pleaded guilty last year to embezzlement and filing false income tax returns, was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison. She has admitted only to stealing $7 million.

The effect on the members of the union has been severe: Several union members who said they had been victimized by Ms. King’s scheme spoke at her sentencing in Federal District Court in Manhattan, describing the devastating impact that the fraud has had on their lives.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

RON PAUL!

To be God's honest truthful with you Bhen, for the first time in my life I do not advocate for young men or women to go into the military.

I don't necessarily disagree but when two FS'ers that know nothing about the military chime in behind you, I'd like for you to unpack this a bit. :news:

Just now, racer254 said:

Yep, it is theft, but these "thieves" sure seem to get light sentences.  There are all kinds of examples.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/nyregion/6-year-sentence-for-melissa-g-king-who-stole-millions-from-sandhog-union.html

Six-Year Sentence in Theft of Millions in Union Funds

By Benjamin Weiser

June 21, 2012

By any measure, Melissa G. King lived an extraordinary life, one that far eclipsed her position administering benefit funds for the sandhogs’ union. She spent millions of dollars on herself, hiring a personal staff, buying expensive clothes and jewelry, and running up about $5 million in equestrian-related expenses, prosecutors have said.

And all of it was financed by her theft and greed, they say. They contend that she stole over $40 million from the plans she ran for the union, Local 147, which represents the construction workers who dig the city’s giant water and train tunnels.

Ms. King, 61, who pleaded guilty last year to embezzlement and filing false income tax returns, was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison. She has admitted only to stealing $7 million.

The effect on the members of the union has been severe: Several union members who said they had been victimized by Ms. King’s scheme spoke at her sentencing in Federal District Court in Manhattan, describing the devastating impact that the fraud has had on their lives.

Its the best crime to commit. I know guys that stole millions, did light sentences and still had the money when they got out. 

Just now, Zambroski said:

I don't necessarily disagree but when two FS'ers that know nothing about the military chime in behind you, I'd like for you to unpack this a bit. :news:

Like how to salute and how to be told when to take a shit? Youre right. But I do know what the purpose of the military is and its not to secure resources for foreign govts and corporations. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Anler said:

If invested poorly that can be exactly what happened to it.  

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

Its the best crime to commit. I know guys that stole millions, did light sentences and still had the money when they got out. 

I am sure they are some real "stand up" guys.  Probably proud of what they did.  Hope some of the people they stole from have some time with them.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I’m fine with keeping pensions afloat. Take the entire military budget and use it for retirements of all kinds

take 25% off the top of the MIC and use it for other things.

PBGC ends up owning these pensions if they fail so one way or another it falls on the government.  it's why they had to make sure chrysler and gm survived

18 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I am sure they are some real "stand up" guys.  Probably proud of what they did.  Hope some of the people they stole from have some time with them.

There are always people who are going to steal if given the opportunity. Ive seen it happen at church, school, work, you name it. It is irresistible to some

There are always people who are going to steal if given the opportunity. Ive seen it happen at church, school, work, you name it. It is irresistible to some

Well, when the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that will happen.

35 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Wanna be reliant on one of these guys in a firefight?

48 minutes ago, Highmark said:

If invested poorly that can be exactly what happened to it.  

That's more likely the cause.  Many pensions today need to achieve 10% annual gains just to keep up with the pension promises and that will force them into riskier investments.   

41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL...Now I get your statement.  Yeah.....no.

Had a kid get up on the range when he was done shooting and casually turn around... weapon pointed at the tower. (Not intentionally... just a dumb ass private) I made an example out of that little  bastard I bet the whole company is still talking about it.

That would have me brought up on charges and sharing a flat in Moscow with Snowden today....

• Like 1