Check your account email address ×

A third party? More likely now than ever

Snake

A recent Gallup poll shows record levels of support for a third party in the U.S. In reviewing the details, it seems as if there is a significant opportunity to reform one of the current parties, which could lead to indefinite political wins for the one that does it correctly. More data is certainly needed on specific policy preferences, as it is not abundantly clear what the terms “liberal” and “conservative” mean anymore. However, since the election, I have been asserting that if the country’s vast economic middle could settle on critical priorities, they could form an overwhelming coalition in electoral politics.

Let’s look at the numbers, first. A record 50% of Americans surveyed now identify as political independents. It is an even split for those identifying as members of the two major parties at 25% apiece. This finding is a net drop of 5% identifying as Democrats and an increase of 1% for Republicans since early January. The Gallup poll found that 62% of U.S. adults say the “parties do such a poor job representing the American people that a third party is needed.”

According to Gallup’s historical trends, 60% supported a third party in 2013, which increased to 61% in 2017. These surveys followed the reelection of Barack Obama and the election of Donald Trump, respectively. It is interesting to note that it has not fallen below 57% since 2013. In cycles since 2003, it fell into the 40s during election years. That did not happen in 2016 or 2020. In September of 2020, with two candidates to choose from in November, it sat at 57%. Since the election, the desire for a third party has risen to 62%.

https://pjmedia.com/uncategorized/stacey-lennox/2021/02/15/support-for-a-3rd-party-reaches-an-all-time-high-making-it-likely-there-is-a-new-coalition-to-be-built-n1425677

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sadly a third party can't win a Presidential GE.   Other parties are simply too powerful and I'd fear they would work together somehow to hurt the outsider.

Just now, Highmark said:

Sadly a third party can't win a Presidential GE.   Other parties are simply too powerful and I'd fear they would work together somehow to hurt the outsider.

Never say never....we have a third party provincial government here in Saskatchewan....its consists of liberals and conservatives....

If they could reel in all those independents, or even a good majority of them they would have a voting block big enough to win. Not sure you could pull that off. It would be bliss to see both of our current parties marginalized though.

:bc: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

If they could reel in all those independents, or even a good majority of them they would have a voting block big enough to win. Not sure you could pull that off. It would be bliss to see both of our current parties marginalized though.

thats the issue.  i am gun shy about the whole third party thing because I was a Perot supporter and all that go us was the clintons

I 100% agree we need one and it would be nice to see the members low up the current D and R and create alternatives.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

Never say never....we have a third party provincial government here in Saskatchewan....its consists of liberals and conservatives....

Be tough here.   Fact is can you get enough from both sides to agree on the major issues.   Will the left leaning independents support the 2nd?   Will the center leaning right agree to abortion?   Some major obstacles to overcome here.   I do feel a large % of the Trump voters would go third party but would they support the issues that made him so popular?  Not sure its enough to win and in the end would almost guarantee the left winning.   Just like if Bernie really went independent and ran that way....right would win easily.  

• Like 2

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

*hasn't won a presidential GE. 

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Having a third party will just guarantee the Democrats win.....basically forever.

Depends, if the Bernie/Squad split to a third party it would be the other way around.   Right now they don't have to because they have become the demcrapic party.

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Dan Crenshaw and Tulsi Gabbard would make a good mix. 

So many in this country want real change. Would be nice to see a ticket like this get some traction.

Just now, Edmo said:

So many in this country want real change. Would be nice to see a ticket like this get some traction.

Nobody in this country wants any real change. 95% cast a vote for Donald fucking Trump or Joe Biden. You’d have to be functionally retarded to actually support either of those men as candidates 

A die hard Trumpard buddy of mine blames me for his loss since I didn't vote for him. "Voting for a third party is why he lost!" stuff over and over.

I bet he'll be on board with a Trumpard third party, zero hesitation, and not even realize the hypocrisy

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Having a third party will just guarantee the Democrats win.....basically forever.

with neither representing the middle well it would be nice to think that would not happen but it probably would.  

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

The Dems should split as well....

yes 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Depends, if the Bernie/Squad split to a third party it would be the other way around.   Right now they don't have to because they have become the demcrapic party.

He doesn't know that the liberatarian's and their abortion survivor they chose helped hand Trump the win.  MC is so incredibly disconnected from everything.

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nobody in this country wants any real change. 95% cast a vote for Donald fucking Trump or Joe Biden. You’d have to be functionally retarded to actually support either of those men as candidates 

Well, not all true but yes, we've been pretty much molded by our DC royalty to be good little sheep.  NOW...it doesn't help that every alternative party has either an out of tough message or one so terribly convoluted (consider the American audience) that, they can't seem to resonate.  Add to that the MSM corruption favoring DC and well....

12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The trumperz hate Crenshaw and liberals hate tulsi. So yeah, it’s just a pipe dream. 

You know, you've really sculpted yourself into an out of touch flesh bag over your TDS affliction.  This may be normal though so, don't panic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Bullshit, the Democratic establishment is just trying to appease progressives with optics while they do the same old shit. 

1 minute ago, Wildboer said:

Bullshit, the Democratic establishment is just trying to appease progressives with optics while they do the same old shit. 

Yes and no.