Check your account email address ×

LMAO froze Wind Turbines causing power outages in Texas

jtssrx

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

No climate changes goin on...look the other way. 

Just a thought here.....why don’t they freeze in cold climates like Maine?

Asking for a friend.

So was it climate change in the past when southern Texas was colder than now or just this time?

I don't think its very much of a stretch to think that Windmills built for Maine have some differences in design than southern Texas. 

https://www.valleycentral.com/weather/looking-back-at-the-coldest-february-temperatures-on-record-for-the-rio-grande-valley/

Top 10 Coldest Temperatures for Brownsville Area for the month of February

Rank Temperature Date
1 12° February 13, 1899
2 16° February 12, 1899
3 18° February 14, 1899
4 22° February 1, 1951
4 (tied) 22° February 13, 1905
4 (tied) 22° February 17, 1895
4 (tied) 22° February 16, 1895
4 (tied) 22° February 14, 1895
4 (tied) 22° February 8, 1895
10 24° February 2, 1917
Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

No climate changes goin on...look the other way. 

Just a thought here.....why don’t they freeze in cold climates like Maine?

Asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, irv said:

It's always been happening and always will. Do you think throwing money at it will change the cycle? Have you heard the word cyclical. Look it up. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/ccrc/education/climate-primer/natural-climate-cycles#:~:text=Cyclical variations in the Earth's,mechanisms and cycles operating together.

How will giving more money to politicians effect climate? 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Why is it cold in Texas dumb fuck?

I just told you you stupid fuck!!! For the same reason it sometimes gets cold in Florida and ruins the Orange crops. There is a split in the polar votex and a daughter vortex is setup over the center of North America stretching from far northern Canada to Texas. This is dropping cold air out of the upper atmosphere into this area.  

https://herald-review.com/news/science/what-is-the-polar-vortex-and-how-can-plunge-into-america/video_22e6e2f3-ad3a-58a0-ac27-ef0657a5d4a9.html

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He thinks what he is told to think.  Let's not pretend he's this stupid all by himself.

He usually posts a meme from duhground when he gets his marching orders. I think we are witnessing what happens when he thinks up something all by himself....  I must add it is pretty goddamn entertaining when he forms his own conclusion all by himself!!!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

:lol:That picture is from Sweden...2016.  Not Texas 2021.

Actually I've seen a few places say 2014...

Regardless they still do this on wind turbines that haven't been upgraded.

7 minutes ago, Dave said:

Actually I've seen a few places say 2014...

Regardless they still do this on wind turbines that haven't been upgraded.

Before taking off, the helicopter hovering overhead probably needed its rotor blades de-iced too.  They probably have ground based systems for that but how funny would it be to see one helicopter getting de-iced by another helicopter?   I hate having to de-ice my car though, that’s never funny.  

3 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Before taking off, the helicopter hovering overhead probably needed its rotor blades de-iced too.  They probably have ground based systems for that but how funny would it be to see one helicopter getting de-iced by another helicopter?   I hate having to de-ice my car though, that’s never funny.  

They de ice planes all the time....the picture still stands as evidence regardless because  the turbines are frozen in Texas whether they de iced them or not really doesn't matter.

Edited by Dave

The power outages caused by storm damage were compounded by planned rolling blackouts designed to prevent a further collapse of Texas’s unique electric grid, which — unlike the grid in the rest of the United States — operates only within the state’s boundaries and is therefore immune to federal regulation, but leaves it unable to import power from other states when disaster strikes.

They get what they want.

• Gold Member
27 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The power outages caused by storm damage were compounded by planned rolling blackouts designed to prevent a further collapse of Texas’s unique electric grid, which — unlike the grid in the rest of the United States — operates only within the state’s boundaries and is therefore immune to federal regulation, but leaves it unable to import power from other states when disaster strikes.

They get what they want.

They are interconnected to other regions....  Texas isn’t on a island.

779DD062-E7FD-424C-A04F-8357AB9E771C.jpeg

• Gold Member

Gas lines to refineries and power plants are freezing.  Nothing in Texas is designed or built to operate in the cold they are seeing including the petroleum infrastructure.  It’s not just a windmill issue.

Generating units across fuel types have been forced offline — including some wind production — and pipeline freezes are impeding the flow of natural gas and crude oil. Texas is the largest crude oil and natural gas producer in the U.S. and has 30 refineries, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Andy Lipow, president of Texas-based Lipow Oil Associates, said that of the 2.6 million people in Texas without power on Monday, only 70,000 were impacted by downed power lines or trees. He estimates that a million barrels per day of crude oil production has been taken offline, roughly 40% to 50% of natural gas production in the Permian Basin has been shut in, and about 50% of wind power production is down thanks to frozen blades.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave said:

They de ice planes all the time....the picture still stands as evidence regardless because  the turbines are frozen in Texas whether they de iced them or not really doesn't matter.

So far I haven’t seen any explanation of what de-icing techniques were used, ERCOT hasn’t released that information yet.  Might be a good use for the Jewish space lasers.  

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Gas lines to refineries and power plants are freezing.  Nothing in Texas is designed or built to operate in the cold they are seeing including the petroleum infrastructure.  It’s not just a windmill issue.

Generating units across fuel types have been forced offline — including some wind production — and pipeline freezes are impeding the flow of natural gas and crude oil. Texas is the largest crude oil and natural gas producer in the U.S. and has 30 refineries, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Andy Lipow, president of Texas-based Lipow Oil Associates, said that of the 2.6 million people in Texas without power on Monday, only 70,000 were impacted by downed power lines or trees. He estimates that a million barrels per day of crude oil production has been taken offline, roughly 40% to 50% of natural gas production in the Permian Basin has been shut in, and about 50% of wind power production is down thanks to frozen blades.

Fucking global warming sucks...we're all gonna freeze to death.