Check your account email address ×

Artic cat 800 RR 1400 miles issues report

Rod

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

It’s an awesome motor for sure....they absolutely sip gas when not pushed hard. My buddy took 7.9 gallons Sunday in 105 miles and we were pushing 70-100+ for miles of grade. My 260hp 4s only took 8.1 lol

My cat does about the same on fuel. Probably the most mind blowing thing was how good the sidewinder was. Better than my cat or 900 turbo 

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

I’m just not a fan. My buddies sled shop has been filled with 800 etecs this year. Like dozens and dozens. Both 2017 free rides owned by guys I know went down this year. One with 2200 miles on it. The 850 is better on gas and oil and more reliable overall from what I can see

From what I hear the 850 has improved reliability but it’s still not great 

but doos greased bearing single ring 800’s are a toilet. Not 2010 Polaris 800 level toilet but they just don’t have any longevity. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, Dave said:

Some people had good luck with 6.0 powerstrokes too!

:lol:

I'm at 350k with my '07 6.0 and I hope to drive it for another 2 years. Best truck I've ever owned.

And the '15 800 Etec I just sold was a complete miser on fuel. I went on a ride last week, me on my '15 Cat turbo, my bud on my '15 800, a '12 Vector and a '19 Cat 800. We all rode the same pace with full tank. At the first gas stop the Cat 800 was $36, my turbo was $34, the Vector was $24 and the Etec was $18. Approx. 130 kms.

The Etec was burped to full before the ride and not at the fuel stop but still... likely he was good for another 2 liters at $1.09.

Every ride, that Etec has been at least 50% better on fuel than my turbo.

It does use 1 liter of oil every 350-400 kms though so it evens out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACE said:

My cat does about the same on fuel. Probably the most mind blowing thing was how good the sidewinder was. Better than my cat or 900 turbo 

My 08 carbed Vector is crazy good on fuel. Got to hand it to the Japanese, they certainly have that figured out.

16 hours ago, ACE said:

No they’re junk. Not Polaris level bad but they’re pretty bad. The only company to make a durable large twin was cat

Was is the key word. Ctec is the worst of the three big bores

15 hours ago, Zambroski said:

It's been said a million times....if only by those that know shit about sleds....ZOOK for the mother fucking win.  That is all.  End of story.  :bc:

End of story indeed.  I'd own another Zook, but not interested in the current Cat motor offering.

15 hours ago, awful knawful said:

600 miles a year. 

From what I hear that is way above average for a madcatter.

14 hours ago, Highmark said:

We probably had 10 plus in our riding group over the years.   Can't recall one engine issue except on a Dunn ported one.

i can think of 1 within the group of guys i know and there must have been 20+ 800etecs over the years among them.   

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Was is the key word. Ctec is the worst of the three big bores

End of story indeed.  I'd own another Zook, but not interested in the current Cat motor offering.

From what I hear that is way above average for a madcatter.

Ctec is still more durable than the 850’s 

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm at 350k with my '07 6.0 and I hope to drive it for another 2 years. Best truck I've ever owned.

And the '15 800 Etec I just sold was a complete miser on fuel. I went on a ride last week, me on my '15 Cat turbo, my bud on my '15 800, a '12 Vector and a '19 Cat 800. We all rode the same pace with full tank. At the first gas stop the Cat 800 was $36, my turbo was $34, the Vector was $24 and the Etec was $18. Approx. 130 kms.

The Etec was burped to full before the ride and not at the fuel stop but still... likely he was good for another 2 liters at $1.09.

Every ride, that Etec has been at least 50% better on fuel than my turbo.

It does use 1 liter of oil every 350-400 kms though so it evens out.

My buddy has a 16 cat 1100 turbo with a 240 tune and it’s surprising how bad on fuel it is. Similar to my F3 600 

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ctec is still running the least failure rates.  Doo is about neck and neck with them though.  Poo is somewhere between the fusion 900 and their current abortion.  LOL

Yeah 850’s seem to be dropping like flies now. I think better than the 800’s were but not sure by how much 

Just now, ACE said:

Yeah 850’s seem to be dropping like flies now. I think better than the 800’s were but not sure by how much 

The extra "50" was a stroke of marketing genius.  Doo needed a way to keep their sleds together and had to have the room for extra reliability engineering.  Poo didn't know what they were doing (normal) but figured the extra space could benefit them too so just tried to copy Doo the best they could.  "850" had a nice ring to it and the tards wanting "hypersleds" were drawn like flies.  I mean, let's face it...nobody is coming out with a 900.  Polaris pretty much made sure of that with their wizbang offering.  :lol: 

Truth though:  the 850's are a nice improvement in reliability.....the extra little kick in performance was just a bonus. Still, reliability/performance ratio winner is the ctec.  Then Doo.  Then Rupp, JD, Mercury, Moto-ski, Massey ferg....the Poo.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The extra "50" was a stroke of marketing genius.  Doo needed a way to keep their sleds together and had to have the room for extra reliability engineering.  Poo didn't know what they were doing (normal) but figured the extra space could benefit them too so just tried to copy Doo the best they could.  "850" had a nice ring to it and the tards wanting "hypersleds" were drawn like flies.  I mean, let's face it...nobody is coming out with a 900.  Polaris pretty much made sure of that with their wizbang offering.  :lol: 

Truth though:  the 850's are a nice improvement in reliability.....the extra little kick in performance was just a bonus. Still, reliability/performance ratio winner is the ctec.  Then Doo.  Then Rupp, JD, Mercury, Moto-ski, Massey ferg....the Poo.

Cat had a 900 twin before and it was a good motor....mind you I think it was actually only 862cc.

Edited by Dave

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

Cat had a 900 twin before and it was a good motor....mind you I think it was actually only 862cc.

Yeah, I was talking more from a marketing standpoint though.  I remember the old ZR's.  Solid.  I think a lot were those "mountain king" models.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, I was talking more from a marketing standpoint though.  I remember the old ZR's.  Solid.  I think a lot were those "mountain king" models.

I had a 900 zr cross country

2 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I think a 2 stroke 1000cc triple SDIECTEC would be a winner.

Only if they get more hp out of it....the old 1000 was 165 hp...they get the same out of the 850.

Just now, Dave said:

Only if they get more hp out of it....the old 1000 was 165 hp...they get the same out of the 850.

With the EPA lines and HP lines starting to intersect closer, it's tough to make a reliable 2S anymore.  I've long said that the 160 hp, 800 mil is about as close to a performance/reliability mix as we can get.  And even then, 2S are just violent motors to be pushing that.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

With the EPA lines and HP lines starting to intersect closer, it's tough to make a reliable 2S anymore.  I've long said that the 160 hp, 800 mil is about as close to a performance/reliability mix as we can get.  And even then, 2S are just violent motors to be pushing that.

Electric snowmachines are coming soon anyway.