Check your account email address ×

Minimum Wage

My 10th grader works at a chain gas station in a 3rd ring suburb.  After training in on both the register and food prep he's at $14 an hour, after 3 months.  If someone is still dumb enough to be working a $8 an hour job its because they are getting tips and are really making much more.  The $15 minimum skill job is already available.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, F3600 said:

My 10th grader works at a chain gas station in a 3rd ring suburb.  After training in on both the register and food prep he's at $14 an hour, after 3 months.  If someone is still dumb enough to be working a $8 an hour job its because they are getting tips and are really making much more.  The $15 minimum skill job is already available.

Maybe where you are. Also to consider is what can he nake per week. For many, weekly pay is more important than hrly.

Again, not every area of the country is the same as each other.

Edited by CFM

27 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Shot in the dark, Amazon/Bezos?

What happens to those making $15-20/hr. when the minimum wage is raised to $15?  

That’s the point....wages have been stagnate while Corp profits have skyrocketed. The lower and middle class should all be making more 

30 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Shot in the dark, Amazon/Bezos?

What happens to those making $15-20/hr. when the minimum wage is raised to $15?  

They ask for a raise or go work somewhere else?

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

They ask for a raise or go work somewhere else?

I'd think that while you might think you raise the minimum wage earners up, you'd do the opposite by moving more earners to a lower effective wage. 

I'm about 95% certain that if the minimum wage was suddenly $15/hr, the employees we have that make say $22/hr. would still make $22/hr. after the min. wage hike, or not a lot more.  I'd think it would be that way at many large employers.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I'd think that while you might think you raise the minimum wage earners up, you'd do the opposite by moving more earners to a lower effective wage. 

I'm about 95% certain that if the minimum wage was suddenly $15/hr, the employees we have that make say $22/hr. would still make $22/hr. after the min. wage hike, or not a lot more.  I'd think it would be that way at many large employers.

And? 

You aren't moving the minimum wage earners up in life, they are still making minimum wage. 

You are move a large portion of the populous closer to minimum wage.

There would still be more money going to the bottom of the economy overall.

Those making $22 an hour should find a way to make themselves more valuable  :news:

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

There would still be more money going to the bottom of the economy overall.

Those making $22 an hour should find a way to make themselves more valuable  :news:

It’s fucking impossible to argue with someone so dumb they don’t understand disposable income as it relates to low wage earners. These ducking idiots arguing that they won’t see any net benefit from a increase in wages because inflation will eat it up are the dumbest cocksucking assholes alive 

What do you plan to tell your employees?

Obviously that was sarcasm.

Macroeconomic problems can't be solved with microeconomics. 

Wages across the board need to rise if we are ever to have any hope of unwinding the gigantic amounts of debt we've been incurring propping up demand. 

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You aren't moving the minimum wage earners up in life, they are still making minimum wage. 

You are move a large portion of the populous closer to minimum wage.

This is really it in a nutshell.  Raising the min wage, while beneficial in some aspects, is usually short lived for most of the benefit and the increase in wages are absorbed by the cost of goods and services everyone has to pay.