Check your account email address ×

Biden sends 1000’s of formally high paid tradesman and union workers to the soup line

BOHICA

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

So you are almost completely off the grid?  That is really impressive. 

The former ambassador to the US was on CBC today and put it bluntly that oil is not the future. The largest capitalized business is Tesla and the other automakers are following suit. He was letting people know that what you are doing is the future. 

No.  I will be on grid...  but if all goes as planned I should produce all my needs.  I would like to get a used up Tesla battery or any used up ev battery eventually to where I can use it for energy storage...  at that point I would be off grid.  Rivian has talked about and many EV companies have talked about making the batteries easily grid attachable as recycling.  There is also talk of the ev vehicle to be able to supply the house as well.  I think Lucid will be able to power a house.

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, low-1 said:

And that's great.  As I said, it can work for residential.  But you even said that you have 100% tax deduction on it spread over 4 years.  Without that incentive, does it look as attractive?  And panels age and wear out, charge controllers fail, transfer switches fail, if you run a battery backup, those need replacement.

I would be around 13-14 year pay back on electric only for house consumption.  Panels are warranties to 25 years at 80% production.  Inverters are 25 year warranty.  I am using a micro inverter system so if I drop an inverter the whole system doesn’t drop and then on warranty they overnight me what parts I need.  The company I am buying through can log into my system and see what failed and send me what I need.

Edited by BOHICA

14 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

No.  I will be on grid...  but if all goes as planned I should produce all my needs.  I would like to get a used up Tesla battery or any used up ev battery eventually to where I can use it for energy storage...  at that point I would be off grid.  Rivian has talked about and many EV companies have talked about making the batteries easily grid attachable.  There is also talk of the ev vehicle to be able to supply the house as well.  I think Lucid will be able to power a house.

do you own any cordless tools ? i prob buy 6 to 12 battery's a year just saying . i am wanting to see  just how much welfare joe is going to be giving me if i put up solar . if the numbers look good like real fucking good i will do it . but they need to look good enough to pay out in under 6 yrs or no go seeing as commercial panels and inverters are switched out as routine about then .  and that tells me allot about reality life expectance. i am and  will be putting more effort in to geo thermal and air tightness and thermal break and glazing than electric concerns in my new house  .  but again if joe is going to make my neighbors pay for my system fuck it i will put up a system large enough to run the property . i am building a modern barn home so i will have a lot of roof real-estate position the right way already    

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

do you own any cordless tools ? i prob buy 6 to 12 battery's a year just saying . i am wanting to see  just how much welfare joe is going to be giving me if i put up solar . if the numbers look good like real fucking good i will do it . but they need to look good enough to pay out in under 6 yrs or no go seeing as commercial panels and inverters are switched out as routine about then .  and that tells me allot about reality life expectance. i am and  will be putting more effort in to geo thermal and air tightness and thermal break and glazing than electric concerns in my new house  .  but again if joe is going to make my neighbors pay for my system fuck it i will put up a system large enough to run the property . i am building a modern barn home so i will have a lot of roof real-estate position the right way already    

Ya.  All sorts of milwaukee.  Also I’m battery powered yard equipment besides my sidewalk edger and leaf blower..  I learned over the years to use whoever is in office to the best of my ability rather then fight it.  If Joe wants to give me more money for solar then what I will get now I welcome it!  Just like if the next Republican president wants to give me a tax cut I will welcome that! 

Edited by BOHICA

21 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I would be around 13-14 year pay back on electric only for house consumption.  Panels are warranties to 25 years at 80% production.  Inverters are 25 year warranty.  I am using a micro inverter system so if I drop an inverter the whole system doesn’t drop and then on warranty they overnight me what parts I need.  The company I am buying through can log into my system and see what failed and send me what I need.

As the head of the electrical maintenance department in a hydroelectric generating station that produces over 1200MW, and the person primarily responsible for diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing electronic control systems for our generators, I can GUARANTEE you will have an inverter failure before 25 years.  Anything with an electrolytic capacitor in it has a useful service life of 5-10 years.  Anything beyond that, it's living on borrowed time.  Does your warrantee begin anew when they replace components?

Don't get me wrong, I am very supportive of residential solar, and have an off-grid solar system at our remote cabin.  But even if every household in your country went to solar, that still won't touch industrial, manufacturing, critical infrastructure...  It all helps, absolutely, but conventional power generation is still very much required.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Just now, low-1 said:

As the head of the electrical maintenance department in a hydroelectric generating station that produces over 1200MW, and the person primarily responsible for diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing electronic control systems for our generators, I can GUARANTEE you will have an inverter failure before 25 years.  Anything with an electrolytic capacitor in it has a useful service life of 5-10 years.  Anything beyond that, it's living on borrowed time.  Does your warrantee begin anew when they replace components?

Don't get me wrong, I am very supportive of residential solar, and have an off-grid solar system at our remote cabin.  But even if every household in your country went to solar, that still won't touch industrial, manufacturing, critical infrastructure...  It all helps, absolutely, but conventional power generation is still very much required.

Yep inverters will fail.  Just install a new one under warranty...  we are kind of in the same industry...

02E66F04-6892-4092-B5AB-CB9FE6CAD4A6.thumb.jpeg.7bbbc8616ce4886e5aab1623e0649306.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

If Joe wants to give me more money for solar then what I will get now I welcome it!  Just like if the next Republican president wants to give me a tax cut I will welcome that! 

I have no issue with taking advantage of taxpayer dollars as long as credit is given where it is due meaning taxpayers subsidizing shit that's still a bad deal for the country as a whole.

I thanked my neighbors for chipping in on my geothermal as without the $10K tax break there is no way I would have installed it.  Also, I initially calculated my payback at 6 years.  Nearly six years later I am hoping that actually happens at ten.  Reality is almost always something less than theory.

So again, if the greenie fucks will admit they are doing it because free shit is fun to receive I would at least give them some credit but instead the tax fuck is being disguised as something "good for the planet."  Utter bullshit.

My only other observation is you seem to be relying heavily on long warranties to further justify the cost of a system that still won't likely pay you back for at least a decade.  Good luck with those warranties as most likely they aren't worth the paper they are written on, specifically for that long a term and when they are covering parts that will likely be replaced multiple times within those very long terms.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
40 minutes ago, jdsky said:

I have no issue with taking advantage of taxpayer dollars as long as credit is given where it is due meaning taxpayers subsidizing shit that's still a bad deal for the country as a whole.

I thanked my neighbors for chipping in on my geothermal as without the $10K tax break there is no way I would have installed it.  Also, I initially calculated my payback at 6 years.  Nearly six years later I am hoping that actually happens at ten.  Reality is almost always something less than theory.

So again, if the greenie fucks will admit they are doing it because free shit is fun to receive I would at least give them some credit but instead the tax fuck is being disguised as something "good for the planet."  Utter bullshit.

My only other observation is you seem to be relying heavily on long warranties to further justify the cost of a system that still won't likely pay you back for at least a decade.  Good luck with those warranties as most likely they aren't worth the paper they are written on, specifically for that long a term and when they are covering parts that will likely be replaced multiple times within those very long terms.  

Warranties are warranties.  Solar panels have a capacity warranty as well.  These are national/global companies that manufacture these things.  Solar power isn’t a new tech...

Pretty simple to calculate costs and production of a solar system.  Here is a gov website that you can figure out what you need in a solar system for your desire production needs based on address, sun days, weather and panel locations

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov

this is a system designed to hit 100% of my needs.

8EAC043D-82E2-489A-AA9D-9D71754D3291.thumb.png.6c7a5ab0d5046242836ffa84f8ed011e.png

here is what I’m installing which is oversized.  Super simply to see the payback for me since I oversized my system.

C1043E4D-4BC8-49E9-834B-B84CDC143D05.thumb.png.6b03a350c2fa3fdac7ea315aa6d7b4b1.png

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member

You also have the value increase to your home that you can figure on payback.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/05/solar-power-can-boost-a-homes-value-in-these-10-states-the-most.html

Installing solar panels in a home not only helps to reduce current monthly utility bills; it can potentially increase the home’s value by up to 4.1% more than comparable homes with no solar panels, according to recent solar research done by Zillow — or an additional $9,274 for the median-valued home in the U.S.

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

You also have the value increase to your home that you can figure on payback.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/05/solar-power-can-boost-a-homes-value-in-these-10-states-the-most.html

Installing solar panels in a home not only helps to reduce current monthly utility bills; it can potentially increase the home’s value by up to 4.1% more than comparable homes with no solar panels, according to recent solar research done by Zillow — or an additional $9,274 for the median-valued home in the U.S.

I wouldn't put those ugly things on my roof if they paid me to.

5 hours ago, low-1 said:

Right?  That's the other part of it.  "If we cancel the pipeline, we will stop the oil".  No, it'll keep moving... in tanker cars that dribble along continuously as they go, that are powered by diesel locomotives, that are lubricated with oil, that occasionally derail and cause a mess.  Or it'll go in tanker trucks, which are significantly less efficient and have all of the same problems x 100.  Move a pile of oil efficiently in a well constructed pipe, or more the same amount inefficiently all over the countryside.  EVERY method of moving it around has problems and causes significant environmental damage.  The media just chooses to focus on pipeline spills.  Don't get me wrong, any type of spill isn't a good thing.  But concentrated in one spot or spread across thousands of miles, I'd be willing to bet the pipeline spills release far less to the environment overall than the alternatives...

Which brings me back to why don't we refine it right at the source, rather than unnecessarily moving it around so much?

bold - economies of scale, primarily. 

as for the rest of the post, agreed. However this one has always been about optics and now JT can just simply walk away, just like he always wanted to do but couldn't. 

4 hours ago, low-1 said:

yeah but a liberal politician told Rev green is the future so we may as well rip the band-aid off now :lol: 

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Ya.  All sorts of milwaukee.  Also I’m battery powered yard equipment besides my sidewalk edger and leaf blower..  I learned over the years to use whoever is in office to the best of my ability rather then fight it.  If Joe wants to give me more money for solar then what I will get now I welcome it!  Just like if the next Republican president wants to give me a tax cut I will welcome that! 

Point is then you should know better than to be looking in to used battery's. They are all shit and don't last and tge more complex they are the shorter there expectancy is . Fuck storing . Set your house to use all it can and store that energy in the fourm of heat and cold and hot water.  Battery's are at this point a loosing proposition.  If you buy a battery car you will have all the extra storage you need . Unless you live in az or some shit that is . But even then run that ac till your house is 60 and let it warm up till the sun comes back out 

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Point is then you should know better than to be looking in to used battery's. They are all shit and don't last and tge more complex they are the shorter there expectancy is . Fuck storing . Set your house to use all it can and store that energy in the fourm of heat and cold and hot water.  Battery's are at this point a loosing proposition.  If you buy a battery car you will have all the extra storage you need . Unless you live in az or some shit that is . But even then run that ac till your house is 60 and let it warm up till the sun comes back out 

Ya.  It doesn’t make sense to store it now cause my utility is net metering.  1 for 1.  They are my battery.  As more and more residential solar comes online these utilities that have pretty lucrative and liberal residential solar policies are going to have to make changes.  I don’t have a doubt that my utility is going to have to change at some point.  they may or may not have a grandfather clause at that point.  Many years down the road if I use up an EV completely it would be nice to just put the degrade battery that may only hold half its charge or even less into the scheme as a backup/night time power supply if I ever lose my net metering

2 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

come on answer this simple question

Won't happen the CNN segment did not get in to details . Sort of like Joe even putting his name on it he has zero fucking idea why he is there to put his name on anything they put in fr of him then he gets a cup of pudding 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Warranties are warranties.  Solar panels have a capacity warranty as well.  These are national/global companies that manufacture these things.  Solar power isn’t a new tech...

Pretty simple to calculate costs and production of a solar system.  Here is a gov website that you can figure out what you need in a solar system for your desire production needs based on address, sun days, weather and panel locations

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov

this is a system designed to hit 100% of my needs.

8EAC043D-82E2-489A-AA9D-9D71754D3291.thumb.png.6c7a5ab0d5046242836ffa84f8ed011e.png

here is what I’m installing which is oversized.  Super simply to see the payback for me since I oversized my system.

C1043E4D-4BC8-49E9-834B-B84CDC143D05.thumb.png.6b03a350c2fa3fdac7ea315aa6d7b4b1.png

Best check in to that fine print on the warranty if goingbthe diy rout in fact if you hire a guy best be sure he went to all of the classes of the manu you selected 

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Best check in to that fine print on the warranty if goingbthe diy rout in fact if you hire a guy best be sure he went to all of the classes of the manu you selected 

Good to go.  It will all be permitted and inspected.  My system will be inspected by city inspector after racking and inverter install and after panels are installed and signed off as up to code.  That is all that is needed to claim any warranty.  Already been in contact with my local electric code inspector building inspector.  My warranty all runs through the retailer that will sell me what I am getting.  Any issues they send me what ever I need and they deal with the manufacture.

4EB22DFD-2D33-4E03-91AA-665DA96F185C.thumb.png.9b00356380f9b2b325caa2ea66fba606.png

Edited by BOHICA

I’m no United States Inauguration Day historian, but I can’t off the top of my head remember a new president taking over and thinking that killing jobs was a great way to kick things off and endear himself to his people. Honestly, I’m not sure that a mentally competent Joe Biden would have thought so either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

I’m no United States Inauguration Day historian, but I can’t off the top of my head remember a new president taking over and thinking that killing jobs was a great way to kick things off and endear himself to his people. Honestly, I’m not sure that a mentally competent Joe Biden would have thought so either.

His people, the 80+ million that voted for him obviously are not mentally competent. Like I've said before, I hope all of his ignorant voters feel the pain of their choice.