Check your account email address ×

bezos is a drug dealer

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

With most health insurance companies you are rewarded for better self care. What’s your point here? 

Not in premiums on company plans.   Care to show us in a ACA HC plan where weight comes into play in premium costs?   Never seen that on a HI application.

Sure go to the doctor less and you will have fewer copays and possibly less deductible to pay out but premiums not so much. 

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not in premiums on company plans.   Care to show us in a ACA HC plan where weight comes into play in premium costs?   Never seen that on a HI application.

Sure go to the doctor less and you will have fewer copays and possibly less deductible to pay out but premiums not so much. 

It doesnt because an ACA plan is not an underwritten plan. That is the plan for the "pre-existing conditions" folks or the under insured or the unemployed. the costs are based on the risk pool. 

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My insurance company reimburses me for my health club fees. I’m also linked via iPhone and Apple Watch so they get my workouts, steps in a day. At the end of the year I get money back based on points. This year it’ll be over $300. Basing premiums on weight is ridiculous. There are individuals with essential health issues which make weight gain unavoidable. How about legislate the food to take these food  companies to take dangerous additives out of the food supply? They are the culprits. 

Edited by spin_dry

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My insurance company reimburses me for my health club fees. I’m also linked via iPhone and Apple Watch so they get my workouts, steps in a day. At the end of the year I get money back based on points. This year it’ll be over $300. Basing premiums on weight is ridiculous. There are individuals with essential health issues which make weight gain unavoidable. How about legislate the food to take these food  companies to take dangerous additives out of the food supply? They are the culprits. 

mine pays beck $100-400 depending on activity.   

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I'm all for getting dangerous additives out of food but that's not the only culprit in America causing obesity.   

Just now, Angry ginger said:

mine pays beck $100-400 depending on activity.   

Yes. Mine has three levels. Silver through platinum. You’re also required to take the health screening at a local location. It’s free. They do a vitals check, weigh you, and a full blood work up for free. You can add certain values on the blood test at a free. Like vitamin D, testosterone, etc. it’s actually a really good deal. They forward all the information to my PCP. That way I don’t have to pay the skyrocketing fee for blood work. 

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm all for getting dangerous additives out of food but that's not the only culprit in America causing obesity.   

I agree with Greg that it's a large part of it though. Meanwhile, companies are trying to convince Americans that they just need to exercise more to lose that weight. 

Maintaining a healthy weight is probably what, 80% what you eat and 20% your exercise habits?

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Now you’re opening up a Pandora’s box. I just read a good article about the amount of chronic inflammatory diseases of joints and digestive systems in America. Americans have horrible gut flora. Gut flora is now being associated with a wide variety of health issues. The theory is that farming has decimated the microorganisms in the soil. It’s been done through anti fungal agents, herbicides, and fertilizer. That’s gotten into out food chain and has effectively changed the microbiome in our guts. 

here we go......

37 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I agree with Greg that it's a large part of it though. Meanwhile, companies are trying to convince Americans that they just need to exercise more to lose that weight. 

Maintaining a healthy weight is probably what, 80% what you eat and 20% your exercise habits?

Edited by spin_dry

29 minutes ago, SSFB said:

My trainer friend says "Abs are made in the kitchen" . He won the top trainer in America contest and is/was a professional natural body builder so I believe him! 

Man, I'm so happy we don't have to worry about this shit up in Canada, I'd be bankrupt a few times over.  At 37, in pretty much peak physical health (165lb, <8% body fat, high activity, dedicated healthy eater), a few months of a messy divorce and an asshole supervisor pushed my BP high enough to destroy my kidneys, requiring a transplant.  Total out of pocket: $0.  Ongoing anti-rejection medication for the rest of my life: $0.  I honestly couldn't imagine living under the American system of health care.

Don't get me wrong, Canada is fucked in a lot of ways and getting worse all the time.  And tax rates are pretty fn ridiculous.  But not having to worry about choosing between medication and food/rent/utilities/etc is pretty nice.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, low-1 said:

Man, I'm so happy we don't have to worry about this shit up in Canada, I'd be bankrupt a few times over.  At 37, in pretty much peak physical health (165lb, <8% body fat, high activity, dedicated healthy eater), a few months of a messy divorce and an asshole supervisor pushed my BP high enough to destroy my kidneys, requiring a transplant.  Total out of pocket: $0.  Ongoing anti-rejection medication for the rest of my life: $0.  I honestly couldn't imagine living under the American system of health care.

Don't get me wrong, Canada is fucked in a lot of ways and getting worse all the time.  And tax rates are pretty fn ridiculous.  But not having to worry about choosing between medication and food/rent/utilities/etc is pretty nice.

True, everybody in America walks around with their fingers crossed and a McDonald's bag under their arm hoping they don't get sick. Apparently in your case, women and supervisors are just as bad as fast food.  :lol:

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

True, everybody in America walks around with their fingers crossed and a McDonald's bag under their arm hoping they don't get sick. Apparently in your case, women and supervisors are just as bad as fast food.  :lol:

no they just pay out 18-25k for a family plan (hopefully with some employer support ) and whine how bad it would be if the government put in a 5% tax on their 50-100k in average income and provided coverage for all ven though they would pay no more.    

I'll take UHC and a 5-6% wage tax all day long,  even in the years I'd have paid more than i did through private insurance the luxury of having portable insurance not tied to an employer makes up for it.  And from an employer perspective less shit they need to deal with.  I'm cool with the UHC being catastrophic only and allowing HSA's but the current system is broken and needs to change.  too bad we never got trumps plan,  I heard it was tremendous back in 2016.  

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

no they just pay out 18-25k for a family plan (hopefully with some employer support ) and whine how bad it would be if the government put in a 5% tax on their 50-100k in average income and provided coverage for all ven though they would pay no more.    

I'll take UHC and a 5-6% wage tax all day long,  even in the years I'd have paid more than i did through private insurance the luxury of having portable insurance not tied to an employer makes up for it.  And from an employer perspective less shit they need to deal with.  I'm cool with the UHC being catastrophic only and allowing HSA's but the current system is broken and needs to change.  too bad we never got trumps plan,  I heard it was tremendous back in 2016.  

Healthcare is a HUGE expense for employers. the cost of everything would go down if you moved the burden of HI from employers to the employee. However with how corrupt our govt is I cant believe they would make it any more efficient. 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

Healthcare is a HUGE expense for employers. the cost of everything would go down if you moved the burden of HI from employers to the employee. However with how corrupt our govt is I cant believe they would make it any more efficient. 

Medicare is truly not all that bad and it serves the sickest of our population.  I don't find it unreasonable to think that the government could provide a catastrophic policy to the healthier part of the population and put into place cost controls and HSA's for day to day care if they put their mind to it.   We are a nation capable of anything if we would just get out of our own way.  

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Medicare is truly not all that bad and it serves the sickest of our population.  I don't find it unreasonable to think that the government could provide a catastrophic policy to the healthier part of the population and put into place cost controls and HSA's for day to day care if they put their mind to it.   We are a nation capable of anything if we would just get out of our own way.  

Medicare is not profitable for providers. They dont cover alot of stuff. I know I take care of 3 seniors, all with health issues. 

And sure we have plenty of capable and competent people to make it work but I know how deep pockets operate in govt. They would be compromised. 

35 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I didn't want your opinion on HC, my comment was just a joke, geez. :lmao:

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

There’s also laws in place that cap profit margins for insurance companies. There simply isn’t a lot of wiggle room for big savings from competition. The focus needs to be on healthcare delivery. 

And the cap dos more harm then good. 

Bold is where the problem lies.

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

For most thats why they are better served with a HDHP.   I suggested to our HR guy he spend more time explaining that plan to people.   My wifes got fibromlagia so shes got some meds for that.  My meds are cheap. I keep telling her to get on the pot for the fibro rather than the meds and chiropracter she goes to for it.  Chiro care gets expensive.  

$25 a pop.

12 hours ago, Anler said:

As it should be. If you are paying cash you should get the same discount as the insurance companies. 

No you should get better than insurance price . I dont have a 8000 workers to keep on payroll fucking with the drug company's staff i don't plan on filling any piles of paperwork. I just plan on entering my card and not talking to you again till I need a refill 

19 hours ago, SSFB said:

Actually can be 100%.   You don't need to exercise to be thin or lose weight.   Obviously helps dramatically but IMHO exercise is more about health than "weight."   I know some really unhealthy thin people and some pretty healthy people that according to the "charts" would be considered obese.  

22 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

agreed.

disgusting that a hospital will try to hold you up for 100k when the insurance company only pays 30k for the same service.  Friends in billing at the local hospital,  if one is smart enough to call and they have no insurance they will go 60% off.  

170k for a few stints and 2.5 days in ICU. What a deal!

• Sad 1