Check your account email address ×

Refrigerator Recommendations

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

All new appliances are complete junk. Go on marketplace and buy used and when it shits out in 2 years at least you didn’t pay $$$$$$$ for it.

True story.  They used to be a 20 year purchase.  Now its like right after warranty.  We have a Maytag that came with the house when we bought it.  Works fine, but been thinking about plonking a bigger higher end unit in the space when it shots out, but I hear they're not much better reliability wise.

2 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I've heard from some techs they won't work on lg or Samsung due to the  complexity behind them and how poor they are.  I'd avoid those two for the head aches 

I wouldn’t touch a Samsung or LG. The complexity is ridiculous on both. Great TV’s though. 

Bunch a high rollers here I see. I buy the lowest price name brand I can find with ice maker. Our current Fridgidaire is 15 years old. I just replaced the ice maker a month ago. $60.

I won't buy anything full of electronics until that is all that is available.

image.png.7e545cde28e339c6faed0b5140084351.png

image.png.94521aa3b71b2226729d4564c47cc983.png

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I've heard from some techs they won't work on lg or Samsung due to the  complexity behind them and how poor they are.  I'd avoid those two for the head aches 

We had no problem getting techs to work on our Samsung fridge, just none of them could make it work for more than a few months at a time. The kid at Home Depot says that its hard to get a local tech for their gas ranges though. He had a customer who waited months to get a repair on a 6 month old unit.

Currently leaning towards a Bosch since it has the ice maker in the freezer and its a bit more money. We have a credit up to $4000 to find a replacement so I get fuck all back if I choose a $2000 unit. Might as well spend more and pay the difference.

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Currently leaning towards a Bosch since it has the ice maker in the freezer and its a bit more money. We have a credit up to $4000 to find a replacement so I get fuck all back if I choose a $2000 unit. Might as well spend more and pay the difference.

Ours has been fine so far. Just read the reviews all Bosch models are not the same. 

Sounds like you made up your mind.

Fwiw...Had a Samsung fridge in my prior residence for 7 years...no issues.Bought all new stainless steel Samsung appliances when I moved into my current house 7 years ago. Fridge, range/oven, microwave and dishwasher. 

All have been  flawless except for the  dishwasher.... lots of issues with draining and water level sensors. Drove me nuts and I replaced with a Kitchenaid that has been great.

Maybe fridge will be shot at the 10 year mark  but I plan on moving again before that time frame. Guess they dont hold up like the old Kelvinator that my parents had for over 30 years and continued to use as a spare in the basement for another 10 years or so before junking (still working but noisy).

That  being said, I do have a cheap compact Whirlpool fridge that I keep in garage and brought with me from prior residence that is now 14 years old and still working fine.....so I guess it's hit or miss for many.

10 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Sounds like you made up your mind.

Fwiw...Had a Samsung fridge in my prior residence for 7 years...no issues.Bought all new stainless steel Samsung appliances when I moved into my current house 7 years ago. Fridge, range/oven, microwave and dishwasher. 

All have been  flawless except for the  dishwasher.... lots of issues with draining and water level sensors. Drove me nuts and I replaced with a Kitchenaid that has been great.

Maybe fridge will be shot at the 10 year mark  but I plan on moving again before that time frame. Guess they dont hold up like the old Kelvinator that my parents had for over 30 years and continued to use as a spare in the basement for another 10 years or so before junking (still working but noisy).

That  being said, I do have a cheap compact Whirlpool fridge that I keep in garage and brought with me from prior residence that is now 14 years old and still working fine.....so I guess it's hit or miss for many.

What ever happened to Frigidaire? Kelvinator.

12 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Bunch a high rollers here I see. I buy the lowest price name brand I can find with ice maker. Our current Fridgidaire is 15 years old. I just replaced the ice maker a month ago. $60.

kitchens sell houses so unfortuantely i had to put something fancier in as I renovated for resale.   I loved my shitty 20+ year old GE before this POS

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

I have a Whirlpool side by side with through the door water and ice. Nothing too sophisticated. I’ve kept the condenser clean which is crucial. It’s going on year 13. Three years ago it started making a high pitched whine. The whine lasted two weeks and went away after I pulled it away from the wall and repositioned some access covers. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 10:58 PM, Blackstar said:

Tim i got a full bosch package i. The winter when I did the kitchen reno. 36 wide .  B36ct80sns.

Been really happy with it. Dead quiet, ice maker has stayed working, has 2 compressors ,1 each for fridge and freezer. 

Only thing I mght change is to get the 4 door version that has the same layout inside, just allows the main vegetable drawer to be opened without opening the doors.

20201026_070109.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:50 PM, Big Crappie said:

I bought that fridge for the cabin 17 years ago. Simple and still rockin. :bc: 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:35 PM, spin_dry said:

I wouldn’t touch a Samsung or LG. The complexity is ridiculous on both. Great TV’s though. 

I've done some work on those for others, nothing real hard to do, one Samsung kitchen oven had the control module acting up, was a simple plug & play system same as most hi end appliances.

1 hour ago, Glenn in Caledon said:

Tim i got a full bosch package i. The winter when I did the kitchen reno. 36 wide .  B36ct80sns.

Been really happy with it. Dead quiet, ice maker has stayed working, has 2 compressors ,1 each for fridge and freezer. 

Only thing I mght change is to get the 4 door version that has the same layout inside, just allows the main vegetable drawer to be opened without opening the doors.

20201026_070109.jpg

I've decided i hate the bottom Freezer.  I think I am going side by side on my next one.  I also hate the middle drawer the wife wanted.  It's just  a collection spot for kids drinks now.  

fridge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After much discussion and screaming matches, the wife and I finally hashed out the new appliances. She got everything she wanted and I got a drawer for myself in the fridge and a $12000 invoice....lol

Fridge and range are GE Cafe series, black with gold handles. Dishwasher is black regular GE.

The guy working the appliance section at Home Depot was great. Well educated on the brands and features, helped us out a bunch on price. He spent 2 hours with us and then helped at customer service with the credit stuff.