Check your account email address ×

It's Official: Solar Is the Cheapest Electricity in History

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

One has to be a hayseed dumb fuck not to see solar and wind power as part of the equation in future energy production. 

It’s not though. Sorry you don’t understand science 

10 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Biden was right about oil.....

It's Official: Solar Is the Cheapest Electricity in History

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a34372005/solar-cheapest-energy-ever/

ok then call generac or tesla tomorrow then call your gas and electric provider have them all out to the house next week shut off the gas and electric get the solar up get the battery packs put in. Change over all your gas units to electric. Then check in with us if yiu can this jan and let us know how it is working out for you.  Lmfao 

We rent a off the grid 5k sf cabin every yr in the iorn flats of CO he has a whole roof of solar 8 huge polls with rotating pannels in the yard a small turbine in the creek . And a v6 Kohler with 3 propane tanks larger than any residential  tanks  I have seen to run it   And that kohler is running a lot like almost all the time . They are real on you about unplugging even a phone charger if you are not using it . 

Supplement at best . Do you think if thes4s people could get utility's to the property they would have spent the kind of coin they had to for all that shit that will never pay for it self when compared to utility bills ?

• Gold Member

So the statistic “20 to 50 percent cheaper” is based on a calculus of companies building solar projects, not something that has throughput for consumers or even solar homeowners. But it’s still a big deal, because the cost to build power plants is a major part of why so much of the world has stuck with coal and gas power. With the new, lowered cost of capital, solar’s cost per megawatt has fallen almost completely below both gas and coal worldwide. (These statistical models get into some detail, but very local results are different, of course.)

Cheaper for the utility company, the consumer will maybe see a small fraction of the savings but I doubt that even. 

18 hours ago, racer254 said:

Anyone who believes that fossil fuels will go away really fails to understand the farming industry

Just the Base chemicals for plastic would be enough to keep oil production going.  A barrel of oil is a hundred different products besides Gasoline and Diesel.

20 hours ago, spin_dry said:

He’s definitely not a car company. He’s more of a software, solar energy, space program, R&D company . I didn’t realize it but he sold half a billion dollars worth of carbon credits to GM, Ford, and other car makers last year. 

Fossil fuels have seen their peak use in the developed world. Attempts to squelch the use of renewables have failed by those such as the Koch bros. Pure economics rather than demand is leading the way. Of course 8 years of the Obama administration helped push it along. 

Tesla was posing a serious threat to gm, ford and the others because they are so far behind tesla in the tech. He understands that it benefits him when the competition is growing the ev market. Good for all. 

11 minutes ago, Anler said:

Tesla was posing a serious threat to gm, ford and the others because they are so far behind tesla in the tech. He understands that it benefits him when the competition is growing the ev market. Good for all. 

GM new patented battery tech is better than Tesla’s 

20 hours ago, spin_dry said:

He’s definitely not a car company. He’s more of a software, solar energy, space program, R&D company . I didn’t realize it but he sold half a billion dollars worth of carbon credits to GM, Ford, and other car makers last year. 

Fossil fuels have seen their peak use in the developed world. Attempts to squelch the use of renewables have failed by those such as the Koch bros. Pure economics rather than demand is leading the way. Of course 8 years of the Obama administration helped push it along. 

The Koch bro’s own one of the largest solar panel manufacturers you dunce :lol: 

• Like 1

Yeah, lets clear cut/raze carbon absorbing, oxygen producing forests to put up solar and farms then complain because our gov't isn't planting enough trees. How anyone can't see the insanity in this is beyond me.

Solar and wind energy require more land than coal or natural gas.

https://earthtechling.com/utility-scale-solar-vs-trees-a-fight-that-shouldnt-exist/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/01/georgetowns-green-plan-destroy-forest-solar-farm-is-met-with-resistance/?noredirect=on

https://electrek.co/2020/02/29/tesla-finished-clearing-trees-giga-berlin/

forests.jpg

forest.jpg

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Claims from the company that brought America the Cadillac Cimarron :lol: 

I had a Lincoln Versailles for a beater car when I was younger. Basically a pimped out Grenada. :lol: 
GM has some stuff up their sleeve, I wouldn’t count them out just yet.