Check your account email address ×

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are 'Losers' and 'Suckers'

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/ 

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true. 

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed. 

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies. 

Trump’s understanding of concepts such as patriotism, service, and sacrifice have interested me since he expressed contempt for the war record of the late Senator John McCain, who spent more than five years as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said in 2015 while running for the Republican nomination for president. “I like people who weren’t captured.” 

From the article:
Trump has been, for the duration of his presidency, fixated on staging military parades, but only of a certain sort. In a 2018 White House planning meeting for such an event, Trump asked his staff not to include wounded veterans, on grounds that spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees. “Nobody wants to see that,” he said.
Edited by Mainecat

56 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/ 

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true. 

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed. 

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies. 

Trump’s understanding of concepts such as patriotism, service, and sacrifice have interested me since he expressed contempt for the war record of the late Senator John McCain, who spent more than five years as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said in 2015 while running for the Republican nomination for president. “I like people who weren’t captured.” 

From the article:
Trump has been, for the duration of his presidency, fixated on staging military parades, but only of a certain sort. In a 2018 White House planning meeting for such an event, Trump asked his staff not to include wounded veterans, on grounds that spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees. “Nobody wants to see that,” he said.

50 years later I can say again....................the last thing I wanted to do was die in a Vietnamese jungle for .............LYNDON BAINES JOHNSON. Big, ugly, domineering bastard from Texas. 

He, and the M/I complex, and every American hawk, could go fuck themselves with a 12 gauge copper brush. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Trump went after McCain in the heat of battle.   Zero chance Trump said this and its disgusting that the news is reporting it.

Trump has met with families of fallen soldiers in the middle of the night when they are returned to America. 

Trump should sue the fuck out of the Atlantic.   This is beyond low. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I read this article yesterday and hard to know the veracity of it but judging by Trumps past comments about McCain it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s 100% acuarate.

Judging by the biased media’s inexhaustible quest to make stuff up to make the guy look bad, 100 accurate is not very likely my friend.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Trump went after McCain in the heat of battle.   Zero chance Trump said this and its disgusting that the news is reporting it.

Trump has met with families of fallen soldiers in the middle of the night when they are returned to America. 

“Heat of the battle”....like McCain or not there is no defense for Trump saying what he did. Not to mention Trump denies having called him a loser even tough it’s on tape.

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Judging by the biased media’s inexhaustible quest to make stuff up to make the guy look bad, 100 accurate is not very likely my friend.

That’s why I added a qualifier...pretty bold of this writer to fabricate all of this if he did...we shall see.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

“Heat of the battle”....like McCain or not there is no defense for Trump saying what he did. Not to mention Trump denies having called him a loser even tough it’s on tape.

That’s why I added a qualifier...pretty bold of this writer to fabricate all of this if he did...we shall see.

I agree that Trump should not of said that about McCain even though in hindsight we know he was a complete POS. 

What are your feelings if this is being reported and it not being true?   I can tell you this if it was true he would lose my vote instantly.

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It’s he said, she said at this point. He had assistants with him that get paid to pay very close attention and they didn’t hear these comments.

:dunno: 

• Like 1

'I cannot guarantee everything gets solved in four years, but I guarantee you one thing, it will be a whole heck of a lot better,' said Biden. 

'Why in God's name don't we teach history in history classes,' he questions. 'A black man invested the light bulb not a white guy named Edison.

'There's so much. Did anybody know?'

37 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I agree that Trump should not of said that about McCain even though in hindsight we know he was a complete POS. 

What are your feelings if this is being reported and it not being true?   I can tell you this if it was true he would lose my vote instantly.

If it’s a fabrication the reporter should be fired and he and The Atlantic should be sued within an inch of their lives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

If it’s a fabrication the reporter should be fired and he and The Atlantic should be sued within an inch of their lives.

Problem isn't just the Atlantic.....their ass is covered if an administration official just made it up.   This is why the media should not always be able to hide behind "anonymous sources." 

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Problem isn't just the Atlantic.....their ass is covered if an administration official just made it up.   This is why the media should not always be able to hide behind "anonymous sources." 

The “unnamed sources” again. I can’t believe people fall for this garbage. Step up if you’ve got something to say. Or stfu already.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

It’s been confirmed by multiple reliable sources.

Just now, racer254 said:

Will you also put up trump denying all of this?  Or does trump need an "anonymous source" to collaborate his statements?  FFS, you guys will believe anything if it is against trump.

Of course he is denying it...as I mentioned he denied calling McCain a loser but there is proof of that everywhere. If you are so concerned post a clip of him denying it FFS.🤣

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Of course he is denying it...as I mentioned he denied calling McCain a loser but there is proof of that everywhere. If you are so concerned post a clip of him denying it FFS.🤣

Shit like this is made up constantly and you all fall for it and NEVER do you come back and say it was false or incorrect.  It's fucking pathetic.  Just like saying trump told everyone to "vote twice".

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well at the time mccain was actively against trump so shit was flying back and forth between the 2. 

Secondly in hindsight mccain did the dirty with the dossier. trump may have known he was the dirty bird and flung the shit he does everyday.

Finally if the source is anonymous in todays news cycle you can pretty much guarantee it is bullshit.