Check your account email address ×

What the fuck is up with shipping prices

6 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Fed ex ground had not done well in rural areas that's a fact..I had the same problem 15 years ago when I gave them a shot, and got the same excuses as you. I was assured that isn't happening anymore by my Rep. He was right, all of my rural customers are super happy, get their packages by 10am where UPS was getting there at noon. An added bonus is FedEx delivers 6 days a week and a Saturday delivery is only $3.50 more where UPS was $65 more..So everything we shipped Friday Home Delivery our customers will get today rather than Monday. 

It's only been a few months, but so far our shipping costs have been cut in half, our customers are getting better service than what UPS was providing, and when I need to speak with someone, I call my reps cell who lives in the same town we are shipping from not 1-800-pickups and talking to someone at a call center in India..

FedEx has been here as late as 10 PM but usually from 6-9 PM.

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We are rural and basically in the bush with dirt roads in/out. The wife orders all sorts of craft stuff and seems it's always the same drivers and they know to back up the driveway. The guy yesterday was saying their system was down and everything was screwed up. 

Which shipper?

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

It cost me $89 to ship a prop to Calgary with USPS. It cost the guy who I traded props with $43 dollars Cnd to ship his to me. Same box , same weight .....same everything 

That is quite the difference and to be honest, I am surprised you guys actually pay more than us as that usually isn't the norm as you likely know? I've heard a lot of complaints regarding shipping lately, both up here and south of the border. Most blame covid, which could be true, but these prices increases were happening pre covid. Global shipping is EBay's shipping program. It is pricey but variations/differences in cost clearly shows it is nothing but a cash cow for them. When a person decides to set up a sellers account on EBay, EBay tricks them into signing up for it. I've contacted many sellers and they had no clue shipping was so expensive for us CDN buyers. I know there are other options as I usually only pay between $6 to $10 bucks for small bubble mailers and the like. 

13 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Rock Auto sure charges enough for shipping, I pretty much stopped buying from them.

Its gotten out of hand! Trying to purchase parts and the like stateside use to be the thing to do if one wanted to save a pile of cash but with shipping fees now, that ship has sailed. I did have an Amazon Prime account for a bit but at $10 bucks a month, that can also add up quickly. I'm pretty sure, from what I have seen lately, these fees/import charges, etc, are to deter us CDN's from even thinking about purchasing things stateside anymore. Maybe the same thing is happening with you guys? 

Edited by irv

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Rock Auto sure charges enough for shipping, I pretty much stopped buying from them.

A buddy buys alot of stuff off them and gets it shipped up here. I'm not sure what they charge but he says he can't get it cheaper anywhere else

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Its gotten out of hand! Trying to purchase parts and the like stateside use to be the thing to do if one wanted to save a pile of cash but with shipping fees now, that ship has sailed. I did have an Amazon Prime account for a bit but at $10 bucks a month, that can also add up quickly. I'm pretty sure, from what I have seen lately, these fees/import charges, etc, are to deter us CDN's from even thinking about purchasing things stateside anymore. Maybe the same thing is happening with you guys? 

Discount tire direct has free shipping.

23 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Discount tire direct has free shipping.

There is a Discount Tire Canada store/site. The problem with that, however, is you still need to have them installed. Also, the place I normally use, who mainly sells Cooper's but others as well, is no one can come close to their prices I have found. When I was building my Pro Street Monte back in 89-90, ordering from Summitt was the way to go. The CDN/U.S. exchange rate was better back then too but shipping was also good. One could save a pile compared to purchasing up here.

Things are all cocked up.  Ordered a new range hood for the kitchen last week.  Showed up on my doorstep yesterday after an email saying it wouldn't leave the warehouse until Aug 25th.  Wife ordered some stuff from California last week.  Was supposed to be here Wednesday.  It went on a truck from LA to Sacramento, where it's sat for 5 days straight.  I'm in the PHX metro.  LA is way closer to us than Sacramento...

Both of those are FedEx.  Stuff I've had shipped from USPS lately has been good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, f7ben said:

It cost me $89 to ship a prop to Calgary with USPS. It cost the guy who I traded props with $43 dollars Cnd to ship his to me. Same box , same weight .....same everything 

Canada ftw!!!111 #winning

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

isn't their import fees going to canada that don't exist coming here. :dunno:  

Depends on how you declare the shipment to customs. I always put warranty work so people don’t get screwed 

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

isn't their import fees going to canada that don't exist coming here. :dunno:  

Not always and it is suppose to depend on the declared value of the item(s) 

Like I mentioned earlier, I am seeing it more and more with those that use Global shipping stateside. I have purchased quite a few items and normally they just arrive in my mailbox but every once in a while I get a PO notice to pick up the pkg there and sure enough, I have to pay duty/import fees.

You can claim goods up to CAN$200 without paying any duty and taxes. You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada, and tobacco products or alcoholic beverages are not included in this amount. If you bring in goods worth more than CAN$200, you have to pay full duty and taxes on the total amount.Mar 12, 2020

• Platinum Contributing Member

Supply and demand.   Think of how many more packages are shipping than even just 5 years ago.    Add in Covid and there you have it.

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Supply and demand.   Think of how many more packages are shipping than even just 5 years ago.    Add in Covid and there you have it.

So they are ass fucking the little guy because amazon ass fucks them?

• Platinum Contributing Member
34 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So they are ass fucking the little guy because amazon ass fucks them?

Maybe.   I ship everything UPS thru my business and it seems reasonable.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:57 AM, smokin george said:

A buddy buys alot of stuff off them and gets it shipped up here. I'm not sure what they charge but he says he can't get it cheaper anywhere else

I buy a lot from Rock and feel the shipping is fair, bought all my "nothing better to do" Dakota rebuild parts from them, and shit arrives super fast

On 8/22/2020 at 8:37 AM, XCR1250 said:

FedEx has been here as late as 10 PM but usually from 6-9 PM.

We have guys here do that every day.

My last delivery is before 4pm or I fucked up real bad.