Check your account email address ×

What the fuck is up with shipping prices

47 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ve been getting gouged by USPS lately and today went to ship a small box to Florida and every carrier was over $100

This bullshit has doubled in the last few years

Flat Rate box?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Nope....10x14x19 and 37lbs 

You try/ask about Flat Rate?

I've been having very heavy large boxes shipped to me every week lately, no shipping charges at all..at least to me from my suppliers.

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

You try/ask about Flat Rate?

I've been having very heavy large boxes shipped to me every week lately, no shipping charges at all..at least to me from my suppliers.

I tried USPS , UPS and fedex. Cheapest was $100

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I tried USPS , UPS and fedex. Cheapest was $100

Weird, USPS Flat Rate boxes always were a good/cheap deal..

Large flat rate box is $19.95 to anywhere in the US including Alaska.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Weird, USPS Flat Rate boxes always were a good/cheap deal..

Large flat rate box is $19.95 to anywhere in the US including Alaska.

This box is bigger than that and heavier

6 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Get used to it.....they are all going up. Surging market conditions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-07/ups-to-levy-heavy-holiday-surcharges-as-home-deliveries-climb

Canada is paying less than half what we are to ship USPS .....Americans are getting raped hard.

Amazon can ship me a tv in 2 days for less  than what it costs me to ship a small box ground shipment with 7 day delivery 

12 hours ago, f7ben said:

Canada is paying less than half what we are to ship USPS .....Americans are getting raped hard.

Amazon can ship me a tv in 2 days for less  than what it costs me to ship a small box ground shipment with 7 day delivery 

It's pricey everywhere. Getting something from the U.S. up here, especially through EBay, and having to pay Global Shipping fees, is insane. I refuse to purchase anything from sellers who use Global shipping.

Lately, especially with those using global shipping, I have also noticed import charges as well. Sometimes shipping, with both fees combined, is more than the actual price of the item one is purchasing. It's nuts for sure!

Edited by irv

8 hours ago, irv said:

It's pricey everywhere. Getting something from the U.S. up here, especially through EBay, and having to pay Global Shipping fees, is insane. I refuse to purchase anything from sellers who use Global shipping.

Lately, especially with those using global shipping, I have also noticed import charges as well. Sometimes shipping, both both fees combined, is more than the actual price of the item one is purchasing. It's nuts for sure!

It cost me $89 to ship a prop to Calgary with USPS. It cost the guy who I traded props with $43 dollars Cnd to ship his to me. Same box , same weight .....same everything 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, f7ben said:

It's called a volume discount. I would guess Amazon's is in the 90% range if not more. I'm set up with FedEx Ground and Home Delivery SVC at 48%. Box of blades to Missouri 3x3x22 15lbs $10.44..

Find a friend who's business ships products and ask him if he could ship something for you and you pay for it. If they have a logistics manager who is worth a shit it should be quite a bit less.

Also try and ship to a legit business address to avoid residential delivery fee. And by business address I don't mean Joe Shmoe's Prop shop out of his garage that's at his house.. That's classified as residential delivery.

Edited by Rigid1

28 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

It's called a volume discount. I would guess Amazon's is in the 90% range if not more. I'm set up with FedEx Ground and Home Delivery SVC at 48%. Box of blades to Missouri 3x3x22 15lbs $10.44..

Find a friend who's business ships products and ask him if he could ship something for you and you pay for it. If they have a logistics manager who is worth a shit it should be quite a bit less.

Also try and ship to a legit business address to avoid residential delivery fee. And by business address I don't mean Joe Shmoe's Prop shop out of his garage that's at his house.. That's classified as residential delivery.

Well , to be fair on the Amazon point. Every carrier they work with loses money on their business with amazon.

I signed back up on UPS this morning and the package was $68 to ship which is a bit more tolerable. I then switched my account to a small business setup which should be a little be cheaper even.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well , to be fair on the Amazon point. Every carrier they work with loses money on their business with amazon.

I signed back up on UPS this morning and the package was $68 to ship which is a bit more tolerable. I then switched my account to a small business setup which should be a little be cheaper even.

Perfect, hope it saves you some coin..I dumped UPS 2 months ago, their rates just suck, quality of service has completely gone in the shitter over the past 5+ years. They just don't seem to care..I tried for a few weeks to talk to a UPS rep about rates, nobody would get back to me, talked to our daily scheduled pick up driver, asked him to help me out and have someone call me.. Never heard a word from them for weeks until I told them I don't need a daily pick up anymore, the business had switched to FedEx ground..Then they wanted to talk. I told them to pound salt.

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Perfect, hope it saves you some coin..I dumped UPS 2 months ago, their rates just suck, quality of service has completely gone in the shitter over the past 5+ years. They just don't seem to care..I tried for a few weeks to talk to a UPS rep about rates, nobody would get back to me, talked to our daily scheduled pick up driver, asked him to help me out and have someone call me.. Never heard a word from them for weeks until I told them I don't need a daily pick up anymore, the business had switched to FedEx ground..Then they wanted to talk. I told them to pound salt.

That’s too bad

5 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

We have had terrible service with FedEx for many years, they don't deliver when their mail to us says they will then lie and say they were here to deliver but no one was here to receive the packages, when I called and complained and told them I have cameras on the buildings and no one from FedEx was here they had not much to say. Drivers have used many excuses including they blew up an engine on the truck, or couldn't locate us, or roads had too much snow on them to deliver even though UPS and USPS were here..I told the companies I deal with never to ship with FedEx to us, some don't listen and do anyhow with the same terrible results..I hate FedEx.

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

We have had terrible service with FedEx for many years, they don't deliver when their mail to us says they will then lie and say they were here to deliver but no one was here to receive the packages, when I called and complained and told them I have cameras on the buildings and no one from FedEx was here they had not much to say. Drivers have used many excuses including they blew up an engine on the truck, or couldn't locate us, or roads had too much snow on them to deliver even though UPS and USPS were here..I told the companies I deal with never to ship with FedEx to us, some don't listen and do anyhow with the same terrible results..I hate FedEx.

Fed ex ground had not done well in rural areas that's a fact..I had the same problem 15 years ago when I gave them a shot, and got the same excuses as you. I was assured that isn't happening anymore by my Rep. He was right, all of my rural customers are super happy, get their packages by 10am where UPS was getting there at noon. An added bonus is FedEx delivers 6 days a week and a Saturday delivery is only $3.50 more where UPS was $65 more..So everything we shipped Friday Home Delivery our customers will get today rather than Monday. 

It's only been a few months, but so far our shipping costs have been cut in half, our customers are getting better service than what UPS was providing, and when I need to speak with someone, I call my reps cell who lives in the same town we are shipping from not 1-800-pickups and talking to someone at a call center in India..

We are rural and basically in the bush with dirt roads in/out. The wife orders all sorts of craft stuff and seems it's always the same drivers and they know to back up the driveway. The guy yesterday was saying their system was down and everything was screwed up.