Check your account email address ×

Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

I started early. Both my wife and I live close to work. No sitting for hours every week idling in traffic. I put extra insulation in my house when I built it. R 20 walls, R 40 roof. That was quite high for the time. I also insulated the basement floor and walls, put in a high efficiency furnace when the original gave out. We put in LED lights and I turn off power bars to most electronics. I don't leave the lights blazing on my home when I'm not there. I don't have spotlights shining up the property. 

I bought an eco boost truck. Yeah, I fell for the bullshit from ford. But since I haven't burned it to the ground, I think that counts as saving the environment.

I live in Ontario, Canada so I get to save the environment without trying. Windmills and solar power cranked the price of electricity through the roof. So I pay monthly to support those initiatives at home and work. It's not voluntary but I support higher prices for energy. It's really the only way people conserve. Unfortunately it costs jobs when factories close.

So in other words you did things to save your family money at home?   You are quite the environmentalist. :lmao: Extra insulation, an ecoboost..... I mean you are one step from living off the grid. :lmao:

I live in Iowa which is the largest producer of biofuels in the US so I'm good.  Yay.....I'm an environmentalist!

http://www.eia.gov/biofuels/biodiesel/production/

Kind of like Moto owning a farm and a business and complaining that nobody should own anything. :lmao:

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Our portion was about 200K, then there was electrical and mechanical retrofits done by the customer, so about 400K in total.  The inefficiencies were not electrical waste, but running off-spec product without knowing about it until it was tested in the lab and failed, cause the existing system reported everything was fine.  They were in need of a legacy upgrade, so it was either the OEM or us.  We gave them a system that ran to much tighter specs, but more importantly, reported erratic behaviors and shut down if certain limits were exceeded thus minimizing waste.   They have also had product returned to them by their customer and that is a much bigger deal.  I do not know specifics on each line but productions rates tend to be in the thousands per hour.  The plant does about 600 million in sales.

We don't do much with utilities, almost all on the process side, compressors and boilers are packaged units, we are consumers.  However one project we did most of the utilities for the plant and one of the simple efficiency improvements was to operate the cooling water loop to a differential pressure at the furthest point of the recirc loop as opposed to maintaining constant header pressure.  The centrifugal pump would modulate with the load instead of waste energy deadheading.

On the bold, don't make me laugh.

It makes me wonder how far up their asses the plant engineers heads were to let things get that out of hand. But then again a large company like that, sometimes they don't get heard until parts start coming back rejected. It's been years since we've had returned parts

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

The best project I had for ROI was based on server consolidation and virtualization. Historically most servers ran at about 20% capacity most of the time. There would be periodic spikes in processing where they would hit 80%+. They tended to be one server for one system. 

Using blade chassis and VMWARE as well as a few others we reduced the number of server cabinets by 33% which reduced floor space, cooling, power consumption, hardware and software service contracts, licenses, cabling and more. ROI was 9 months. New hardware also gave better system response which was a business benefit as well. 

Your industry is quite different since capacities and speeds change rapidly.

I'm still running presses that were built in the 80's and are still competitive. 

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So in other words you did things to save your family money at home?   You are quite the environmentalist. :lmao: Extra insulation, an ecoboost..... I mean you are one step from living off the grid. :lmao:

I live in Iowa which is the largest producer of biofuels in the US so I'm good.  Yay.....I'm an environmentalist!

Kind of like Moto owning a farm and a business and complaining that nobody should own anything. :lmao:

What would you suggest? I realized when I answered you that no answer would be good enough. If I rode a bike to generate electricity for the house, you'd complain that someone had to build the bike and generator. 

You and your typical hack right wing bullshit

11 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

It makes me wonder how far up their asses the plant engineers heads were to let things get that out of hand. But then again a large company like that, sometimes they don't get heard until parts start coming back rejected. It's been years since we've had returned parts

Your industry is quite different since capacities and speeds change rapidly.

I'm still running presses that were built in the 80's and are still competitive. 

What are you going to do if that is the technology from virtually all the competing OEM suppliers.  If you saw the process you would not think that.  This company makes very high end compounds and just a little off spec changes its characteristics to marginal.  

They don't make widgets here.

What is it you make?

Edited by ArcticCrusher

25 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

I started early. Both my wife and I live close to work. No sitting for hours every week idling in traffic. I put extra insulation in my house when I built it. R 20 walls, R 40 roof. That was quite high for the time. I also insulated the basement floor and walls, put in a high efficiency furnace when the original gave out. We put in LED lights and I turn off power bars to most electronics. I don't leave the lights blazing on my home when I'm not there. I don't have spotlights shining up the property. 

I bought an eco boost truck. Yeah, I fell for the bullshit from ford. But since I haven't burned it to the ground, I think that counts as saving the environment.

I live in Ontario, Canada so I get to save the environment without trying. Windmills and solar power cranked the price of electricity through the roof. So I pay monthly to support those initiatives at home and work. It's not voluntary but I support higher prices for energy. It's really the only way people conserve. Unfortunately it costs jobs when factories close.

You get that most people can't afford the reno's or to just go build a new home on daddy's dime.  And Ontario business that export must compete with other companies in different locations.  In fact many plants from the same corp have to compete and bid for new lines.  So you might have 3 plants in the US and one in Canada competing for a new product at a fixed cost to produce it, if the plant underbids it, tough luck.  

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You get that most people can't afford the reno's or to just go build a new home on daddy's dime.  And Ontario business that export must compete with other companies in different locations.  In fact many plants from the same corp have to compete and bid for new lines.  So you might have 3 plants in the US and one in Canada competing for a new product at a fixed cost to produce it, if the plant underbids it, tough luck.  

My wife and I had 1/2 the money saved ourselves. No hand outs from Daddy except the job. Which was demanding but paid well. 

Remember Trump is in charge. Daddy's money is ok now. 

10 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

My wife and I had 1/2 the money saved ourselves. No hand outs from Daddy except the job. Which was demanding but paid well. 

Remember Trump is in charge. Daddy's money is ok now. 

Spoken like a true silver spooner.

15 hours ago, washedupmxer said:

Do most liberals take jobs in the family biz? It seems there is a connection 

14 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Do you seriously think they are capable of starting one from scratch?

You guys tell me. Evidently most people on here think that Trump is a successful business man because he turned his father's fortune into a fortune that would be larger if he had just invested in an average fund and walked away.

On 2016-12-06 at 0:39 PM, Highmark said:

Saving energy and money at home is part of the package. It's why I think pricing energy costs in line with the environmental cost makes sense. High price will make people conserve energy. But we need legislation to make sure some countries aren't using dirty fuel sources to produce cheap energy. Say for instance Ontario makes the leap to clean energy which is expensive but the US continues to burn coal to save money.

I could have added the we don't have pets. Supporting an industry that breeds animals as entertainment while people starve in Africa seems wrong. Evidently a dog is equivalent to a small SUV.

We only had 2 children which is a plus. I suppose not having any would make a much smaller footprint but I wouldn't change a thing. Besides, one of them may come up with a solution to an important part of the energy puzzle. It certainly beats those losers who have several kids with a couple of different women. You know like Trump.

BTW. I didn't notice your answer. Did you believe cigarettes were bad for you 30 years ago? Did you believe the misinformation the cigarette companies were dishing out?

On 12/1/2016 at 4:18 AM, Mainecat said:

Where I fished at high tide as a kid in the 60's is now underwater at high tide. The ocean is rising due to global warming.

Under water by how many inches?  I lived on the ocean for the first 1/3 of my life and have lived within 3 miles of the ocean my entire life.  Where I fished as a kid in the 60's high tide is in the same exact spot as it is today.  

8 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

You guys tell me. Evidently most people on here think that Trump is a successful business man because he turned his father's fortune into a fortune that would be larger if he had just invested in an average fund and walked away.

Well he was a Liberal/Democrat until just recently.  Perhaps that would explain the lame performance.:lol:

6 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Under water by how many inches?  I lived on the ocean for the first 1/3 of my life and have lived within 3 miles of the ocean my entire life.  Where I fished as a kid in the 60's high tide is in the same exact spot as it is today.  

4 inches in the last century :dunno: 

7 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Saving energy and money at home is part of the package. It's why I think pricing energy costs in line with the environmental cost makes sense. High price will make people conserve energy. But we need legislation to make sure some countries aren't using dirty fuel sources to produce cheap energy. Say for instance Ontario makes the leap to clean energy which is expensive but the US continues to burn coal to save money.

I could have added the we don't have pets. Supporting an industry that breeds animals as entertainment while people starve in Africa seems wrong. Evidently a dog is equivalent to a small SUV.

We only had 2 children which is a plus. I suppose not having any would make a much smaller footprint but I wouldn't change a thing. Besides, one of them may come up with a solution to an important part of the energy puzzle. It certainly beats those losers who have several kids with a couple of different women. You know like Trump.

BTW. I didn't notice your answer. Did you believe cigarettes were bad for you 30 years ago? Did you believe the misinformation the cigarette companies were dishing out?

I sure hope they do not follow our complete fucked up disaster of a clean energy plan.  Large corps (F500) are leaving Ontario when consolidation occurs, cause it makes more sense to produce elsewhere.  The US is not going to follow Canada, rather the other way around.   

Its also not fair to expect other developing nations to invest the same infrastructure upfront that took us 100 years to get to. 

Not sure what you are trying to get at with the rest of your post.  Should we kill all the animals?

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

he's been rubbing elbows with al gore. 

Ivanka is the one pushing it with her Dad. Doesn't seem to be making much difference based on his comments and staff choices.