Check your account email address ×

Trump Retreats From Some of His Extreme Positions

As I said he would on these very pages :thumb:

The Manhattan Man!

Trump Retreats From Some of His Extreme Positions

President-elect Donald J. Trump retreated on Tuesday from some of his most extreme campaign promises, dropping his vow to jail Hillary Clinton, expressing doubt about the value of torturing terror suspects and pledging to have an open mind about climate change.

But in a wide-ranging, hourlong interview with reporters and editors at The New York Times — which was scheduled, canceled, and then reinstated after a dispute over the ground rules — Mr. Trump was fiercely unapologetic about repeatedly flouting the traditional ethical and political conventions that have long shaped the American presidency.

He said he had no obligation to establish boundaries between his business empire and his White House, conceding that the Trump brand “is certainly a hotter brand than it was before.” He defended Stephen K. Bannon, his chief strategist, against charges of racism, calling him a “decent guy.” And he savaged Republicans who had failed to support him in his unorthodox White House bid.

The interview demonstrated Mr. Trump’s apparent eagerness to please his audience and his tendency to speak in generalities, even as he was pressed to elaborate on policy positions that propelled him to a convincing and surprising victory over Mrs. Clinton two weeks ago.

After stoking cries of “Lock her up!” at campaign rallies by vowing to prosecute Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Trump expressed empathy toward his former rival. He said he has no interest in pressing for Mrs. Clinton’s prosecution over her use of a private email server or for financial acts committed by the Clinton Foundation.

“I want to move forward,” he said. “I don’t want to move back. I don’t want to hurt the Clintons, I really don’t.”

The president-elect’s turnabout on the need for torture as a tool in the fight against terrorism, which he repeatedly endorsed during the campaign, was remarkable. Mr. Trump suggested he has changed his mind about the usefulness of waterboarding and other forms of torture after talking with James N. Mattis, a retired Marine Corps general, who headed the United States Central Command.

“He said, ‘I’ve never found it to be useful,’” Mr. Trump said, describing the general’s view of torturing terror suspects. He added that Mr. Mattis found more value in building trust and rewarding cooperation with terror suspects: “‘Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers and I’ll do better.’” He added: “I was very impressed by that answer.’’

Torture, Mr. Trump said, is “not going to make the kind of a difference that a lot of people are thinking.”

Mr. Trump repeated that Mr. Mattis was being “seriously, seriously considered” to be secretary of defense. “I think it’s time, maybe, for a general,” he said.

On climate change, he refused to repeat his promise to abandon the international climate accord reached last year in Paris, saying that, “I’m looking at it very closely.” But he said “I have an open mind to it” and that clean air and “crystal clear water” were vitally important.

He held out assurances that he did not intend to embrace extremist positions in some areas. He vigorously denounced a white nationalist conference in Washington over the weekend where attendees gave the Nazi salute, criticized Jews and spoke some words in German.

Asked about his antagonism with the press and his vow to rethink libel laws, he told the group, which included The Times’s publisher, Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr., and other executives: “I think you’ll be happy.”

But pressed to respond to criticism in other areas, he was defiant. He declared that “the law’s totally on my side” when it comes to questions about conflict of interest and ethics laws. “The president can’t have a conflict of interest.”

He said it would be extremely difficult to sell off his businesses because they are real estate holdings. He said that he would “like to do something” to address ethics concerns, and he noted that he had turned over the management of the businesses to his children.

But he insisted that he could still have business partners into the White House for grin-and-grab photos. He said that critics were pressuring him to go beyond what he was willing to do, including distancing himself from his children while they run his businesses.

“If it were up to some people,” he said, “I would never, ever see my daughter Ivanka again.”

Mr. Trump rejected the idea that he was bound by federal anti-nepotism laws against installing his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in a White House job. But he said he would want to avoid the appearance of a conflict, and might instead seek to make him a special envoy charged with brokering peace in the Middle East.

“The president of the United States is allowed to have whatever conflicts he or she wants, but I don’t want to do that,” Mr. Trump said. But he said that Mr. Kushner, who is an observant Jew, “could be very helpful” in reconciling the longstanding dispute between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

“I would love to be able to be the one that made peace with Israel and the Palestinians,” Mr. Trump said, adding that Mr. Kushner “would be very good at it. He knows the region.”

“A lot of people tell me, really great people tell me that it’s impossible — you can’t do it,” Mr. Trump added. “I disagree; I think you can make peace.”

“I have reason to believe I can do it,” he added.

Mr. Trump made a forceful defense of Mr. Bannon, who he named to become his chief strategist and who has drawn charges of racism and anti-Semitism. He said Mr. Bannon had been dismayed at the reaction to his hiring.

“I’ve known Steve Bannon a long time. If I thought he was a racist or alt-right,” he said, “I wouldn’t even think about hiring him.”

Mr. Trump added, “I think he’s having a hard time with it, because it’s not him. I think he’s been treated very unfairly.”

He also defended Breitbart, the news site Mr. Bannon founded, which has carried racist and anti-Semitic content, saying it was no different than The Times, only “much more conservative.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-retreats-from-some-of-his-extreme-positions/ar-AAkCxlt

The Justice department and the FBI are in charge of bringing the Clinton cartel to justice he is just removing himself from culpability by depoliticizing the case you fucking clown midget FUCK :nuts: 

Nothing is going to stop the push for energy independence and bringing back coal use in a big way, SBYL Ballsack, that Paris Accord is a fucking joke, like anyone has any control on how much the global temperature is going to rise :lol: talk a gullible 

7 hours ago, Momorider said:

The Justice department and the FBI are in charge of bringing the Clinton cartel to justice he is just removing himself from culpability by depoliticizing the case you fucking clown midget FUCK :nuts: 

Nothing is going to stop the push for energy independence and bringing back coal use in a big way, SBYL Ballsack, that Paris Accord is a fucking joke, like anyone has any control on how much the global temperature is going to rise :lol: talk a gullible 

Trumps words: On climate change, he refused to repeat his promise to abandon the international climate accord reached last year in Paris, saying that, “I’m looking at it very closely.” But he said “I have an open mind to it” and that clean air and “crystal clear water” were vitally important.

How much money would you like to put on coal use coming back in a big way? 

Coal facts:

Miners jobs have been largely replaced with machinery and automation.

NG is in abundance in coal country and coal plants in coal country are already being replaced with NG plants getting gas from the gigantic Marcellus formation.

Goldmine Sachs is financing huge NG plants in coal country.

Largest Coal To Natural Gas Plant Conversion In US Happening In PA

The following post originally appeared on NaturalGasNow.org. It is authored by Donald Roessler – a landowner and gas lease holder in Washington County, Pennsylvania.

Panda Power Funds will make one of the largest coal to natural gas plant conversions in the US, capable of producing more power with less emissions.This project is being built by Panda Power Funds at the retired Sunbury coal-fired power plant near Shamokin Dam in Snyder County, PA. It will be a 1,124 megawatt combined cycle plant. It will use Marcellus gas and is said it will generate enough power for approximately 1 million homes. It is expected to supply large power markets including the Philadelphia and the New York metropolitan areas. It should be in operation by the first quarter of 2018.

It is being built on a 192 acre site of the retired coal plant and should also support additional investment at the site. “The natural gas revolution has arrived in the heart of coal country,” said Todd W. Carter, president and senior partner of Panda Power Funds. “I’m proud Panda is leading the way toward clean natural gas-fueled generation. We’re ready to take what we’ve learned in Pennsylvania and apply it to other coal-fired projects across the nation.”

It is being financed in part by Goldman Sachs, ICBC and Investec with loans totaling $710 million dollars. These loans will be combined with funds by Panda Power Funds. Siemens Financial Services will also be investing $125 million for a total of $6 billion in combined capitol to build the plant. Panda Power Funds has selected Siemens Energy Inc. and Bechtel Power Corp. to construct the plant and it’s components.

Siemens will provide the natural gas turbines, steam turbine, generators, heat recovery steam generators, and instrumentation and controls systems. They will manufacture the turbines at their manufacturing facility in Charlotte, North Carolina. Bechtel will do the engineering, construction, installation and commissioning of the plant.

It will create approximately 900 construction jobs, 35 long term jobs to run the plant and 52 indirect jobs. The plant will support a long term market for Marcellus gas and royalty owners.

It will generate 180% more power than the coal plant did and at the same time reduce emissions of sulfur dioxides and nitrous oxides by 90%. It will also use 97% less freshwater for cooling.

Panda is also currently constructing two other natural gas power plants in PA. One is in Towanda and is expected to be in operation in the first quarter in 2016. The other one is located in Williamsport and is expected to be in operations the second quarter of 2016. Both are 829 megawatt plants.

http://wellsaidcabot.com/coal-to-natural-gas/

The Marcellus formation.......It's HUGE as in Big League Huge! :news: 

marcellus-shale-thickness-large.jpg

23 minutes ago, Kevin said:

So the Donald campaigned to the right  and is already moving to the middle whereas BHO campaigned in the middle and immediately moved to the left.... go figure

Trump is a Manhattan liberal with a Jewish daughter, son in law, and grandchildren that he loves deeply :news: 

I'm glad we will have a president that doesn't GAF about partisan BS and is willing to do the right thing. I'm less concearned about campaign promises than doing the right thing. Trump is no hard core right winger, a lot was said to win the election. Get over it...

Edited by Edmo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

How about we wait until he gets in there and then bitch about what he is or isn't doing? 

How about you just follow along with what the president elect is now laying out for first 100 days and term in office.

A billionaire from liberal Manhattan, I gotta tell you I kinda like it :thumb:

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How about you just follow along with what the president elect is now laying out for first 100 days and term in office.

A billionaire from liberal Manhattan, I gotta tell you I kinda like it :thumb:

I don't waste my time with crying about speculation.  When I see EXTREME in the headline, I don't bother.  You guys should of learned your lesson about fake news.  I know I did after the Romney loss.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Trump is a Manhattan liberal with a Jewish daughter, son in law, and grandchildren that he loves deeply :news: 

He sure isn't putting "liberals" in his administration.  :lmao:

Priceless Vinny licking the Donalds ballsack already.  

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

BENGHAZI!!!!!!

And these type of "punch lines" from the left are why it was a run away.....:lmao:IT WAS NEVER EVEN CLOSE!  :lol:

Maybe the left can start their own war with Russia....we'll let you....here's your pop-guns...go get'em!  Do you need training on the guns first?

Related image

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

:lol: :bc:

"All the queens horses and all the queens half-men....tried and tried, but couldn't dupe the citizens again."

:junk:

But they did get three million illegals to vote in California to run up the popular vote :guzzle: 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

So the Donald campaigned to the right  and is already moving to the middle whereas BHO campaigned in the middle and immediately moved to the left.... go figure

Moved left? 

How so?

Bombing more countries?

Deporting more people?

Huge giveaways to banking and health insurance companies?

Nothing left about that.