Check your account email address ×

States that opened up are seeing declines in Covid 19 cases

Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:

• Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Muscle pain
  • Sore throat
  • New loss of taste or smell

This list is not all possible symptoms. Other less common symptoms have been reported, including gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Edited by Big Crappie

• Platinum Contributing Member

I went and got an antibody test this morning.   Sadly they are all over the map on this one as well.   From issuing immunity cards to not knowing if someone with the antibodies can get it again. 

still early, but based on testing results out of GA, FL, TX, and where they report on hospital capacity, looking good.  (Texas in this image).

Click on the states in the list on this site to see individual state-by-state testing results, and where reported, hospitalization.  Outside of the Northeast, the hospitalization curves are telling.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en/test

SC 2020-05-14 at 9.50.40 AM.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

still early, but based on testing results out of GA, FL, TX, and where they report on hospital capacity, looking good.  (Texas in this image).

Click on the states in the list on this site to see individual state-by-state testing results, and where reported, hospitalization.  Outside of the Northeast, the hospitalization curves are telling.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en/test

SC 2020-05-14 at 9.50.40 AM.png

Hopefully the warmer weather is what's helping squash it in the southern states.  It will have to warm up in the northern states at some point, lol. n

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sadly there is no algorithm or formula being used to define positive tests vs. the increase in testing.   People freak out when positive tests go up yet don't understand we are testing 100x's more than we were.  

I was just having this argument with my wife.  Hospitalization numbers are the best analog for the prevalence of the virus.  There's no such thing as a false positive or false negative when you're talking about someone being hospitalized or not.  It's kindof a binary yes/no thing.

Looking at hospitalization curves where the data exists shows that the curve is definitely flat, despite increased case counts uncovered through more pervasive testing.

If 2% of people who get this thing need to go to the hospital and you have 1000 people hospitalized, you can pretty safely say you have 50k active cases in your state.  If that 1000 number hasn't changed in the last month, it means you're hovering around steady state 50k active cases as people heal up at the same rate new people get sick.

I really wish they had hospitalization data from Georgia.

What's interesting is they have it from states like Iowa and South Dakota where they never locked down, and their curves don't look different from other states really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was just having this argument with my wife.  Hospitalization numbers are the best analog for the prevalence of the virus.  There's no such thing as a false positive or false negative when you're talking about someone being hospitalized or not.  It's kindof a binary yes/no thing.

Looking at hospitalization curves where the data exists shows that the curve is definitely flat, despite increased case counts uncovered through more pervasive testing.

If 2% of people who get this thing need to go to the hospital and you have 1000 people hospitalized, you can pretty safely say you have 50k active cases in your state.  If that 1000 number hasn't changed in the last month, it means you're hovering around steady state 50k active cases as people heal up at the same rate new people get sick.

What's interesting is they have it from states like Iowa and South Dakota where they never locked down, and their curves don't look different from other states really.

Hospitalization curves only suggest a communities underlying health in regards to COVID. 

9 hours ago, snopro31 said:

it was a swing and a miss here

shitholes where people don't want to travel to fared relatively well.

Like Manitoba and NB in canada, and places like Alabama, West Virginia, Mississippi and Ohio in the US. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snopro31 said:

Hospitalization curves only suggest a communities underlying health in regards to COVID. 

You can correct for that with well-known population data.  Hospitalization rates for COVID are an excellent analog.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Good post and I agree.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can correct for that with well-known population data.  Hospitalization rates for COVID are an excellent analog.

One of the things I agree with our governor is he is watching hospital capacities in all regions. He is also making those numbers public.

43 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Like Manitoba and NB in canada, and places like Alabama, West Virginia, Mississippi and Ohio in the US. 

hey i want to travel the daughter back to OH

45 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Closing the ski areas and snowmobile trails early helped too keek Vermont's numbers low. The ski areas started closing before the state closed things down. Vermont gets a lot of CT, NY and NJ tourists during the winter.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frenchy said:

Come on, it wasn't just shitholes that fared relatively well. Lake Havasu AZ. The entire state of Alaska.  How is Florida doing or just about any county in Cali?  There are lots of nice places that have very low covid infection/death numbers. 

Edited by AKIQPilot

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Come on, it wasn't just shitholes that fared relatively well. Lake Havasu AZ. The entire state of Alaska.  How is Florida doing or just about any county in Cali?  There are lots of nice places that have very low covid infection/death numbers. 

he's just trying to impress Jimmy.

its all in testing capacity and ability to test.  my province shit the bed on that.  but then most provinces shit the bed on testing for influenza as well

14 hours ago, Matt said:

Yep.