Check your account email address ×

For Rigid an Anler

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/04/09/no-more-visiting-friends-and-neighbors-under-whitmers-expanded-coronavirus-order/5125426002/?fbclid=IwAR2fgkulL8WXi7JTtDcpUyfkJscSQug1CKttGZ3a3-phw0_FFGyYuLGQneM

LANSING — After Friday, Michigan residents will no longer be able to jump in the car — or cross the street — to visit friends and relatives inside the state, or to go to the cottage Up North, with limited exceptions.

That is one of the major changes in Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's "stay home" order, issued Thursday, which also extends the expiration of the order to May 1.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (Photo: Michigan Executive Office of the Governor)

Until now, travel between two Michigan residences has been permitted.

Beginning Saturday morning, that will end, except for purposes such as caring for a relative, an elderly friend, or a pet, visiting a nursing home or similar facility, attending a funeral with no more than 10 people, or complying with a court order related to child custody.

All public and private gatherings of any size are prohibited," Whitmer said at a news conference. "People can still leave the house for outdoor activities," and outdoor "recreational activities are still permitted as long as they’re taking place outside of six feet from anyone else.”

More: Whitmer extends Michigan's stay home order until May 1

More: Coronavirus has killed more than 1,000 in Michigan

People will still be able to travel to other residences outside the state, but not to cottages or vacation rentals inside the state, the order says.

Terressa Carson, a resident of southeastern Clare County, north of Mt. Pleasant, said she likes the fact that the order would prohibit people from metro Detroit, where the virus is infecting people in large numbers, from staying at cottages in her area, where there are few cases.

"Our hospitals are ill-equipped to handle a surge," Carson said.

The Detroit Free Press is on guard with breaking news, tips and analysis to help you through this crisis. But we need your help. Please subscribe to support Free Press journalists who are reporting on the coronavirus. Or you can make a tax-deductible contribution to the non-profit Report for America to help us put new reporters on the ground in metro Detroit.

However, Carson is angry over the closure of nurseries and garden centers. She said it is time for her to plant her peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots — food that she and her family will eat all winter. She can't plant if those outlets are closed, she said.

"These businesses are essential — to us," Carson said.

The new order creates a few oddities. For example, it is still OK to travel north to visit a state park, but not to go to a cottage or home, Whitmer spokeswoman Tiffany Brown confirmed.

Brown did not respond to a question about how some aspects of the travel restrictions will be enforced. Violating the order can bring a civil fine of up to $1,000.

Whitmer said at the news conference that strict measures are needed for another three weeks as the state attempts to control the spread of the coronavirus.

Michigan is facing two crises — one related to public health, and one economic, she said.

"If we don't get the health crisis under control, the economic crisis will go on and on," said.

Contact Paul Egan: 517-372-8660 or pegan@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @paulegan4 Read more on Michigan politics and sign up for our elections newsletter.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

So yeah, you can still go do whatever you want when you want.. cool

Just now, jtssrx said:

Beginning Saturday morning, that will end, except for purposes such as caring for a relative, an elderly friend, or a pet, visiting a nursing home or similar facility, attending a funeral with no more than 10 people, or complying with a court order related to child custody.

All public and private gatherings of any size are prohibited," Whitmer said at a news conference. "People can still leave the house for outdoor activities," and outdoor "recreational activities are still permitted as long as they’re taking place outside of six feet from anyone else.”

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

You're a dumbfuck that's why moving forward your on the ignore list 

Haha...you are such a pussy and you aren't ignoring anybody. 

Only way to stop this " DEMONIC PLAGUE " is to starve it out. 

No travel, no gatherings, no nothing!!!!  

This is still the deadliest mother-fukker we've ever seen. 

Ya' know, just because the infections/deaths go down in the next few weeks, doesn't mean you're out of the woods.

All it takes is one " asymptomatic carrier ", and you could pick it up, bring it home, and KILL your parents or grand-parents. 

That's kill, as in dead nana, memere, grammy, grampy, pepere!!!  

9 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

You're a dumbfuck that's why moving forward your on the ignore list 

Lollllzzzzz.. welp, sorry that you can go see your family and that pisses you off for some strange reason.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Ya' know, just because the infections/deaths go down in the next few weeks, doesn't mean you're out of the woods.

All it takes is one " asymptomatic carrier ", and you could pick it up, bring it home, and KILL your parents or grand-parents. 

That's kill, as in dead nana, memere, grammy, grampy, pepere!!!  

if it happens it happens.  My parents have lived a good life if it is their time so be it.  they aren't goign to cower in fear over it like you do.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yah It's awful.....I'm skeered!!!!!!!

Can't jump in your car or cross the street!!!!  :lol: Seriously where do they hatch these people? Test tubes or something

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Can't jump in your car or cross the street!!!!  :lol: Seriously where do they hatch these people? Test tubes or something

I just shake my head. :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Any other states gone this far?

Don't know and frankly I don't care....the cases and deaths here are still piling up so whatever it takes to knock that down than so be it. 

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Any other states gone this far?

Yeah, it's been like this in NY for about a month,..You can go do what ever you want as long as you practice social distance..It's not a big deal,..I go where ever I want when ever I want

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Yeah, it's been like this in NY for about a month,..You can go do what ever you want as long as you practice social distance..It's not a big deal,..I go where ever I want when ever I want

BINGO.

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

if it happens it happens.  My parents have lived a good life if it is their time so be it.  they aren't goign to cower in fear over it like you do.  

That's the way my mom is looking at it, she said she still wants me to visit once a week but I am being more careful as far as keeping my distance. I will no longer drive her anywhere unless it's an emergency but I do pick things up for her. 

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I have good reason to not want to croak now. 

8 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

She looks like an evil witch who wants full control over everyone and everything! Where do they get these power tripping morons from?