Check your account email address ×

South Dakota -no stay at home order - New Hotspot!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/ar-BB12zTcc?ocid=spartanntp

The look on her face says it all.  Pork shortage coming our way.

As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

Increasingly exasperated local leaders, public health experts and front-line medical workers begged Noem to intervene Monday with a more aggressive state response.

“A shelter-in-place order is needed now. It is needed today,” said Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken, whose city is at the center of South Dakota’s outbreak and who has had to improvise with voluntary recommendations in the absence of statewide action.

But the governor continued to resist. Instead, she used a media briefing Monday to announce trials of a drug that President Trump has repeatedly touted as a potential breakthrough in the fight against the coronavirus, despite a lack of scientific evidence.

“It’s an exciting day,” she boasted, repeatedly citing her conversations with presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner.

• Kristi Noem taking a selfie: South Dakota Gov. Kristi L. Noem gives an update on the coronavirus pandemic during a news conference at Monument Health in Rapid City on March 18.
  • a car parked on a city street: A car with a sign calling for a safe and healthy workplace drives past Smithfield Foods during a protest on behalf of employees after many workers complained of unsafe working conditions due to the coronavirus outbreak in Sioux Falls, S.D., on April 9.
  • a woman in a car talking on a cell phone: Nancy Reynoza, director of Que Pasa Sioux Falls, organized a protest April 9 in solidarity with Smithfield Food employees.
  • a store front at day: The State Theater marquee displays a parody of a film title to encourage social distancing April 3 in Sioux Falls.
  • a sign above a store: A sign declares that all food orders will be to-go only at Sanaa’s 8th Street Gourmet in Sioux Falls on March 23.
Kristi Noem taking a selfie: South Dakota Gov. Kristi L. Noem gives an update on the coronavirus pandemic during a news conference at Monument Health in Rapid City on March 18.
Previous SlideNext Slide
1/5 SLIDES © Jeff Easton/AP
South Dakota Gov. Kristi L. Noem gives an update on the coronavirus pandemic during a news conference at Monument Health in Rapid City on March 18.

The piecemeal approach to combating the coronavirus in South Dakota offers a throwback to America’s not-so-distant past, the period around a month ago when governors were still leery of using their powers to shut down restaurants and bars or to order people, for the greater good, to stay at home.

It also may offer a glimpse of the country’s near-term future, as pressure builds — not least from the president — to reopen after a weeks-long shutdown. Trump has been eager to get the economy on its feet again by the beginning of May after record rises in unemployment claims and dramatic falls in the stock market.

Yet as South Dakota’s experience shows, no part of the country is immune to being ravaged by the virus. And rescinding orders that people stay at home — or declining to issue them, as in the case of South Dakota and four other states — offers plenty of peril.

Reopening the country by May is “not even remotely achievable,” said TenHaken, who, like Trump and Noem, is a Republican. “We’re in the early innings of this thing in Sioux Falls.”

Already, the experience has been harrowing: As of early April, the city had relatively few cases. But over the course of last week, the numbers surged as the virus ripped through the city’s Smithfield Foods production plant, a colossus that employs 3,700 people — many of them immigrants — and churns out 18 million servings of pork product per day.

On Monday alone, 57 more workers were confirmed to have positive diagnoses, bringing the total well above 300 — and making it one of the country’s largest clusters. Other major clusters include Cook County Jail in Chicago and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.

The Smithfield cases amount to more than a third of the state’s overall total, which stood at 868 on Monday, including six deaths, in a state of nearly 900,000 people.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Damn....I do believe I'd hit both her and Whitmer.   Whitmer I'd stick a sock in her mouth first of course.  :lol:  

Iowa's gov is getting heat for not issuing a "stay at home" order yet the individual closings she's implemented are essentially the EXACT same thing. 

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

South Dakota. 800 total cases, 6 dead. 

Tragic. 

150ish flu deaths per year. 

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

Probably because they hired 3000 imigrants to work the pork plant and now they're spreading disease throughout the state.

Immigrants are better employees. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Immigrants are better employees. 

better than South Dakotans?  I find that hard to believe :fullofit:

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Damn....I do believe I'd hit both her and Whitmer.   Whitmer I'd stick a sock in her mouth first of course.  :lol:  

Iowa's gov is getting heat for not issuing a "stay at home" order yet the individual closings she's implemented are essentially the EXACT same thing. 

Whitmer looks like Bruce Jenner in some pics.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

better than South Dakotans?  I find that hard to believe :fullofit:

Whitmer looks like Bruce Jenner in some pics.

Under further review I'd like to retract my Whitmer claim.  :lol:  

1c2de1a4-c452-4ea5-9d03-043ecd0931ae-190212_state_of_state_035a.jpg

• Haha 2

So 300 Workers went to work and contracted a known deadly disease and it's a food distribution plant.

Hope to hell they've quarantined every single product that's been shipped, that is just Wuhan stupid

I'm in Sioux Falls where most of the cases are, no worries here. :bc:

I'm avoiding the cesspool that is WalMart completely. I'm only getting groceries every week or two. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I'm in Sioux Falls where most of the cases are, no worries here. :bc:

I'm avoiding the cesspool that is WalMart completely. I'm only getting groceries every week or two. 

Don’t you avoid wall mart regardless 

Would a lockdown have prevented this?  Maybe, maybe not. 

No one at this point is saying we should shut down our food supply.  Close it, isolate employees, disinfect the plant, and test people before they can return to work again. And give the employees a $3/hour hazard pay raise until July 1, with back pay to March 1.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

No one at this point is saying we should shut down our food supply.  Close it, isolate employees, disinfect the plant, and test people before they can return to work again. And give the employees a $3/hour hazard pay raise until July 1, with back pay to March 1.

People can live without pork. Look at the Jews. They have the highest IQ’s in the world. Ain’t no pork eating goin on there. 

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Talking with local livestock farmers and hearing the ag report on local radio the food supply is starting to see some serious impacts.   A number of processing plants across the midwest are shutdown or at much lower production levels.    Processors and grocery store owners will start charging more and farmers getting less.   Odd cycle of supply and demand. 

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yes, Humans transport the virus. No transport,  no virus

16 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

People can live without pork. Look at the Jews. They have the highest IQ’s in the world. Ain’t no pork eating goin on there. 

Shut down the poultry, beef, and pork plants nationwide for a week and let me know how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Yes, Humans transport the virus. No transport,  no virus

Agreed, in a complete lockdown that would happen, but that's not what we are doing.  Grocery stores are open, state parks, restaurants for take out, hardware stores, gas stations, pharmacies, food processing plants, critical manufacturing, etc.  As long as those things are open the virus will continue to spread.  If everyone in the world could quarantine for 2-3 weeks then the virus would likely disappear.  Quarantining for that long isn't practical and no one is advocating for that.