Check your account email address ×

Another Pit Bull Attack

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

Dobies are nothing like pit bulls. I get the intimidation thing but it’s just the appearance. They are big softies. 

Yep, for sure, but they are a dog that has never sat well with me for some reason? Not sure where that came from, but I'd personally never own one. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yep, for sure, but they are a dog that has never sat well with me for some reason? Not sure where that came from, but I'd personally never own one. 

I was hesitant but did a fair amount of research. Best dog I've ever owned and I'd literally trust him in a room with a newborn if I wasn't around.

Not that I would ever do that but :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was hesitant but did a fair amount of research. Best dog I've ever owned and I'd literally trust him in a room with a newborn if I wasn't around.

My friend Tom had a really big male Dobie. His name was Brute. The first time I met Brute he was about 2. He checked me out for about 20 seconds then was very nice. 

Tom And I worked together but live 200 miles apart. Every year when I would go see Tom Brute would meet me at the fence. Every time, Within a second of seeing me it seemed like he knew who I was. His defense went down and he was happy. 

My point. Dobies seem like smart dogs. Im not sure if thats true but Brute never had more than a single bark and never a growl when I came to visit. 

I'd get another Dobe in a heartbeat but the wife wants a non shedding dog. Our last Dobe was a great dog. He was great with people,kids and other dogs and was well trained with commands as well as hand signals. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My friend Tom had a really big male Dobie. His name was Brute. The first time I met Brute he was about 2. He checked me out for about 20 seconds then was very nice. 

Tom And I worked together but live 200 miles apart. Every year when I would go see Tom Brute would meet me at the fence. Every time, Within a second of seeing me it seemed like he knew who I was. His defense went down and he was happy. 

My point. Dobies seem like smart dogs. Im not sure if thats true but Brute never had more than a single bark and never a growl when I came to visit. 

Dobes are highly intelligent. Ours knew his boundaries on the property and years ago a friend came to visit with his two little kids and the dog ran in front of one of the little guys and was barking at him basically stopping him from going any farther. We had friends kids that would go in his pen and play with all the time

45 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Mine is indifferent with strangers. Not aggressive at all but just ignores them. It takes a while for him to warm up to people. The breed is generally like that I think. Bonds super tight with master/family and that's about it. 

Edited by frenchy

1 hour ago, irv said:

My SIL had 2 dobes a few years ago and I could never get use to them. They always seemed to be on edge, looking for something to get angry about.

My wife's sister brought over her 4 yr old child one day and when the child tried to pat it in on the head, it growled than snapped at her. Knew right then that my instincts about these dogs were right. My SIL got them from another couple so they weren't raised from pups by her. Not long after, one growled at her so she got rid of them both.

Not saying all dobes are like that but between them and pit bulls, they are my least favorite dogs.

My dobe is licensed therapy dog. I’ve taken her to children’s cancer units, medium security prisons, and into substance abuse treatment group therapy. Sweetest and most intuitive dog I’ve ever met. 

E9573E24-4D15-49D9-AA1A-129D504A2680.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Dobes are highly intelligent. Ours knew his boundaries on the property and years ago a friend came to visit with his two little kids and the dog ran in front of one of the little guys and was barking at him basically stopping him from going any farther. We had friends kids that would go in his pen and play with all the time

Brute seemed highly intelligent. It seemed like he could tell the difference between a threat and no threat very quickly. 

Brute developed some sort of heart condition. He passed away at about 5 years old because of it. Not positive but I think it may be somewhat common with Dobies. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My dobe is licensed therapy dog. I’ve taken her to children’s cancer units, medium security prisons, and into substance abuse treatment group therapy. Sweetest and most intuitive dog I’ve ever met. 

E9573E24-4D15-49D9-AA1A-129D504A2680.jpeg

That is a good looking Dog. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Mine is indifferent with strangers. Not aggressive at all but just ignores them. It takes a while for him to warm up to people. The breed is generally like that I think. Bonds super tight with master/family and that's about it. 

Yea so maybe Brute was just indifferent to me. He seemed to know immediately that I was no threat and went back to doing his own thing when I would visit. 

Must be the breed. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Brute seemed highly intelligent. It seemed like he could tell the difference between a threat and no threat very quickly. 

Brute developed some sort of heart condition. He passed away at about 5 years old because of it. Not positive but I think it may be somewhat common with Dobies. 

Cardiomyopathy. It’s a weakness of the breed. I lost one to it. She was running full tilt and her aorta ruptured. She fell over and slid to a stop in the snow. She was 11 years old and did lead a full life. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Cardiomyopathy. It’s a weakness of the breed. I lost one to it. She was running full tilt and her aorta ruptured. She fell over and slid to a stop in the snow. She was 11 years old and did lead a full life. 

Yep. That must have been it. I think Brute was 5 but he could have been older. Time flies as you get old. 

They have an inherent heart condition in the bloodlines. Ours used to go to a University that had a vet course and they studied him and put him through a series of tests and put a heart monitor on him that we would mail back to them

25 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Was that Josie?  She never seemed to like me all that much... like she always suspected I was up to something.  Walter on the other hand...  lol

As for pits, they're an image dog.  I hate people who use animals as accessories to show what a tough guy they are.  The pit lovers saying how they're the best breed are engaged in cognitive dissonance.

2 hours ago, frenchy said:

Dobies are nothing like pit bulls. I get the intimidation thing but it’s just the appearance. They are big softies. 

53C8A75C-3875-4841-8B64-4F7ADE048D0E.thumb.jpeg.c44ae572e4ffa699af9c589929d93289.jpeg

We had several growing up.  Best dogs.  Smart as hell and well behaved. 

• Like 1

Beautiful coat. How much does he weigh. 

Not even sure anymore. He’s gonna be a big dog but he’s a teddy bear.  He barks at strangers But from a distance. Just what I want tbh 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Was that Josie?  She never seemed to like me all that much... like she always suspected I was up to something.  Walter on the other hand...  lol

As for pits, they're an image dog.  I hate people who use animals as accessories to show what a tough guy they are.  The pit lovers saying how they're the best breed are engaged in cognitive dissonance.

Yep, that was Josie. Lol. She was a sceptic of people. Never hostile. Just not a warm and fuzzy dog. Walter simply assumed everyone just loved him. 

Pitbulls don't JUST SNAP. Pitbulls were PROFESSIONALLY BRED to fight. They were bred to fight, resist pain, have high aggression, and a killer instinct. 

Pit bulls are the dog of choice, of people who want to be seen as TOUGH.