Check your account email address ×

I'm confused about security clearance

f7ben

I thought that if you had top level security clearance and you shared classified info with someone who did not have top level clearance ....well I thought that was illegal?

Isnt it?

I mean ...Patraeus shared some classified stuff with his girlfriend and apparently that was a crime. So is it illegal to share classified info with someone who doesnt have clearance?

Just now, Snake said:

Yes. It is.

So you mean if I had top secret super clearance and I allowed someone who had no clearance access to top secret stuff that would be in clear violation of the law?

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So you mean if I had top secret super clearance and I allowed someone who had no clearance access to top secret stuff that would be in clear violation of the law?

If you or I? Yes.

God or Hillary? No.

Please don't ask me why.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

If you or I? Yes.

God or Hillary? No.

Please don't ask me why.

Huh , this isnt a very good example for the people in this country to have to witness. I mean when someone breaks the law ....the same law that many other people have had their careers and lives ruined for breaking.....and nothing happens to that person? well that is not a good thing

9 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

The company you work for has tighter regulation on what you can talk about outside of work than the U.S. government.

Protecting light bulb secrets has more security than the us government.

I'm sure he and Hillary have exchanged classified info on how to force feed every American to buy CFL light bulbs manufactured over seas.  SR himself IS the connection to China on this corruption and is a lying piece of shit just like the master he puppets too.

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I thought that if you had top level security clearance and you shared classified info with someone who did not have top level clearance ....well I thought that was illegal?

Isnt it?

Who was the person or persons that Clinton shared top secret info that did not have a top level clearance? 

Clinton Case Raises Questions About Discipline For Government Employees

July 7, 20164:39 PM ET

Susan Hennessey, a fellow at the Brookings Institution and managing editor of the Lawfare blog, talks about disciplinary actions for employees implicated in "sloppy" handling of classified materials.

ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:

As we've heard, James Comey said today that if an FBI agent had handled classified material as carelessly as Secretary Clinton did, the agent would not have been prosecuted, but would have been disciplined. What kind of infractions merit what kind of discipline? We're going to ask Susan Hennessey. She's a former lawyer for the National Security Agency and is now managing editor of the Lawfare blog. Welcome to the program.

SUSAN HENNESSEY: Thanks for having me.

SIEGEL: What have been some examples of carelessness with classified information by, say, career government employees and what kinds of discipline were imposed?

HENNESSEY: Right. So certainly there's examples that run the gamut. There have been historical examples of really very serious compromises of classified information and very careless compromises of classified information by government officials. In fact, CIA Director John Deutch had his security clearance suspended by George Tenet after he left office based on allegations that he had prepared classified documents on an unclassified computer.

SIEGEL: We're trying to get the situation as close as possible to that of Secretary Clinton's, of course, the idea of having a server at home in your basement seems to be extremely unusual if not unique. But if a rank-and-file State Department employee were to send and receive messages - some classified - with a personal email account, what in your experiences would the likely repercussions be for that?

HENNESSEY: So obviously it would differ dramatically based on the individual circumstances, but certainly it would not be unusual for someone to lose their security clearance, and it would not be unusual for someone to lose their employment based on that kind of activity.

SIEGEL: Several Republican members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee today claimed that Mrs. Clinton received favorable treatment. If loss or suspension of a security clearance is one disciplinary step, can you imagine her being denied intelligence briefings, say, after her nomination?

HENNESSEY: No, I would not expect for her to be denied information - access to intelligence briefings. Whenever the director of National Intelligence who determines what briefings the nominees will receive decides what information to share, he's basing the assumption based on a certificate of election by the American people. Elected officials in the United States have access to classified information without having to undergo any kind of background check. So it's really - it's very, very different contexts being the presidential nominee versus being a rank-and-file government employee.

SIEGEL: If any of the - I gather fairly numerous State Department advisers who helped Hillary Clinton with her email arrangement - if they still work at the State Department, would they now face likely discipline?

HENNESSEY: It's possible that they will face some kind of administrative sanction. That will be up to the discretion of the State Department. There are some hazards in coming down too harshly on employees following a mistaken security breach or even a negligent security breach.

The important thing is that an individual employee report it and that mitigation measures are taken. So if an individual agency is viewed as being too harsh, firing people that can create a situation in which employees are afraid to disclose that a breach has occurred and that can actually lead to a worse ultimate security situation.

SIEGEL: I guess the question that a lot of people have and that Republicans in Congress seem to have answered to their satisfaction is - is Foggy Bottom and is the Pentagon crawling with people who are now saying, boy, Jones who used to work on the desk next to mine, he got ruined for doing less than this. And here Hillary Clinton seems to be getting away scot-free.

HENNESSEY: Look, there is always the perception that there are special rules for top officials that exist in a lot of different contexts. We see it in the publication of the memoirs of former government officials, you know, in the non-prosecution or plea deals, for example, of General Petraeus and elsewhere. So this sense of that there are special rules for other people that certainly exists. That said, I don't think that there's anyone in the State Department or elsewhere who can say if I had done the same actions as Secretary Clinton, I would face criminal prosecution. And that's really the question that's before us right now.

SIEGEL: Susan Hennessey, managing editor of the Lawfare blog and former lawyer for the NSA, thanks for talking with us.

HENNESSEY: Thanks for having me. http://www.npr.org/2016/07/07/485138674/clinton-case-raises-questions-about-how-government-workers-are-disciplined

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Huh , this isnt a very good example for the people in this country to have to witness. I mean when someone breaks the law ....the same law that many other people have had their careers and lives ruined for breaking.....and nothing happens to that person? well that is not a good thing

You need to google "oligarch". That's what Hillary and bill Clinton are. The laws are meant for dummies like you and me. There basically are no laws for the political class (aka oligarchs). The only rule is they have to try to behave themselves when the cameras are rolling. That's why they hate Trump, he can't behave himself and they are jealous. 

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Who was the person or persons that Clinton shared top secret info that did not have a top level clearance? 

She had her maid printing daily briefings to the POTUS from his cabinet , the cia , nsa etc etc. They were classified at the highest level and she had her maid printing the fucking things from her home printer. It is literally the pinnacle of carelessness and any average person would be facing jail time for it

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The maid was printing out her stuff every morning. I'm sure she didn't look though. :lol: 

Edited by Edmo

Just now, Edmo said:

The maid was printing out here stuff every morning. I'm sure she didn't look though. :lol: 

Maybe she had the proper security clearances and training to do so.  Clearly, that was lacking everywhere else in her administration.  

Just now, f7ben said:

She had her maid printing daily briefings to the POTUS from his cabinet , the cia , nsa etc etc. They were classified at the highest level and she had her maid printing the fucking things from her home printer. It is literally the pinnacle of carelessness and any average person would be facing jail time for it

That's a New York Post story Ben, and I stress the word story.

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's a New York Post story Ben, and I stress the word story.

Well they could ask the maid to corroborate the story, but I'm guessing she takes the fifth on that. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

its being run all over now

I looked a little deeper, here is what I found.

Conservatives Run With NY Post Story About Maid Printing Clinton's Emails, Botch Classification History

The New York Post published a front page report alleging that Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton “routinely asked her maid to print out sensitive government e-mails and documents -- including ones containing classified information,” but ignored the fact the emails in question were classified years after the fact. The report cited only two classified emails, both of which were retroactively classified at the lowest level of classification, a practice which is consistent with past State Department actions. Additionally, in both confidential emails Clinton did not request that her maid print the emails. The author of the report has a history of inaccurate reporting when it comes to Clinton’s emails.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/11/06/conservatives-run-ny-post-story-about-maid-printing-clintons-emails-botch-classification-history/214345