Check your account email address ×

GM workers angry, some in tears, as the final vehicles roll off the line in Oshawa

irv

10 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

How long till you retire. 

12 years at the earliest,  16 at most. All depends on what happens. I hired in when I was older (almost 26)  and wasn't making good money until I was in my 30s. Wife and I did a lot of talking last month when I was off about her current situation with her family business. A lot will depend on what she does in 2 years when her parents retire. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

Just now, Frostynuts said:

Yup, the unions just kept driving wages higher and higher, for jobs trained monkeys could do. At some point, the scales get tipped against the workers. 

Didn’t energy costs skyrocket too?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tickle Shits said:

Didn’t energy costs skyrocket too?

Yup, honestly to-days unions have caused more problems than good. However, they do protect the lazy workers, that figure it is their right to keep getting paid more and more, to do less and less. In the good old days, who kept jobs depended solely on merit. The unions fukked that up, big time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

12 years at the earliest,  16 at most. All depends on what happens. I hired in when I was older (almost 26)  and wasn't making good money until I was in my 30s. Wife and I did a lot of talking last month when I was off about her current situation with her family business. A lot will depend on what she does in 2 years when her parents retire. 

Got ya. You are fairly young now I guess. I thought you were in your early 40’s. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Yes. That is still fairly young. 

We will both be younger than our parents and our parents parents when we retire. 

I wish I was like some guys that I work with who are younger than me who hired in at 17 or 18 right out of high school. But unfortunately, I wasn't.  

My son is interviewing with a  HVAC company today about an apprenticeship. I hope hegets it. He had an interview with a shop the other day for CNC programming, but I'd rather see him get into heating and cooling.  He'd be much better off in that. I told him in 4-5 years at 23-24 he could be well on his way to making a better life for himself than I had if he gets into HVAC. 

I'll find out soon.  🤞🏼

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, the unions just kept driving wages higher and higher, for jobs trained monkeys could do. At some point, the scales get tipped against the workers. 

17 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, honestly to-days unions have caused more problems than good. However, they do protect the lazy workers, that figure it is their right to keep getting paid more and more, to do less and less. In the good old days, who kept jobs depended solely on merit. The unions fukked that up, big time.

You're ignorance and stupidity is overwhelming. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

We will both be younger than our parents and our parents parents when we retire. 

I wish I was like some guys that I work with who are younger than me who hired in at 17 or 18 right out of high school. But unfortunately, I wasn't.  

My son is interviewing with a  HVAC company today about an apprenticeship. I hope hegets it. He had an interview with a shop the other day for CNC programming, but I'd rather see him get into heating and cooling.  He'd be much better off in that. I told him in 4-5 years at 23-24 he could be well on his way to making a better life for himself than I had if he gets into HVAC. 

I'll find out soon.  🤞🏼

Careful with the hvac. He may end up on here posting pics of tacos and cooling towers

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tinker said:

MI Hydro, 10.93c/Kwh, ON Hydro 20.8c/Kwh on Peak plus a massive delivery charge. A friend has a forge plant in ON and MI and ON is nearly 3x times the hydro charge

Over 30 million dollars a year for GM. Add in the carbon tax, red tape, and a whole host of others costs, and people wonder why they're leaving? If I didn't know any better, I'd say the liberals are purposely trying to push businesses out of Ontario and the rest of Canada.:wall:

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Careful with the hvac. He may end up on here posting pics of tacos and cooling towers

:lol:

I'm just trying to keep him away from the auto industry.  Use to be that's what you wanted to get into around here, if 4 year college wasn't your thing. Now it's not even anything close to what it use to be.  Thanks to outsourcing everywhere :flush:

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

1 minute ago, irv said:

Over 30 million dollars a year for GM. Add in the carbon tax, red tape, and a whole host of others costs, and people wonder why their leaving? If I didn't know any better, I'd say the liberals are purposely trying to push businesses out of Ontario and the rest of Canada.:wall:

You know they are Irv but they are too stupid to realize there policys are responsible :guzzle:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

:lol:

I'm just trying to keep him away from the auto industry.  Use to be that's what you wanted to get into around here, if 4 year college wasn't your thing. Now it's not even anything close to what it use to b Thanks to outsourcing :flush:

Hate to say it but pension and health care have been crippling gm for yrs.

15 yrs ago they had 3.7 retired for every 2 workers

Those numbers are unsustainable

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

You know they are Irv but they are too stupid to realize there policys are responsible :guzzle:

But you guys are saving the world. Or at least giving us 15 more yrs instead of 13

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Hate to say it but pension and health care have been crippling gm for yrs.

15 yrs ago they had 3.7 retired for every 2 workers

Those numbers are unsustainable

well if companies were actually forced to fund their pension fully these issues would not matter but they kicked the can down the road.  

• Like 1